Maritime Bridge Strike Nuneaton

SouthEastCashew:
FFS [emoji23][emoji23] on a Saturday as well… Probably the least stressful day to be driving a wagon…

Possibly not Nuneaton is a nightmare on a Saturday at the wrong times when everyone’s off shopping for crap they don’t want or need. Mind still no excuse for being a clown.

Beetlejuice:
Signs everywhere .How the [zb] can this happen .
Flipped flop ?

My guess at the excuse is that the driver is used to mostly pulling Maritimes 4m curtains around & forgot he had a tall one on.

Could also have turned right before the bridge up Higham Lane and back onto A5 depending on which way he was headed.

Or if he wanted to head into Nuneaton could have gone further down the A5 and came off onto weddington Road and round old hinckley Road and over weddy Road Bridge therfore avoiding the Bridge.

simcor:

SouthEastCashew:
FFS [emoji23][emoji23] on a Saturday as well… Probably the least stressful day to be driving a wagon…

Possibly not Nuneaton is a nightmare on a Saturday at the wrong times when everyone’s off shopping for crap they don’t want or need. Mind still no excuse for being a clown.

Haha yes no excuse regardless of what day it is to be honest.

I think i Know what his excuse is now. Just been telling my mum about it.

Eastboro way has been closed of late due to a new housing development being built.

So he’s followed the diversion signs onto old hinckley Road.

Not that it’s an excuse still as there would be a separate diversion for hgvs.

simcor:
I think i Know what his excuse is now. Just been telling my mum about it.

Eastboro way has been closed of late due to a new housing development being built.

So he’s followed the diversion signs onto old hinckley Road.

Not that it’s an excuse still as there would be a separate diversion for hgvs.

Even if he did follow diversion signs etc, what possible excuse is there for attempting to drive under a bridge that is clearly marked as being lower than the height of his vehicle? Does the existence of a road closure suddenly make the bridge raise itself to a higher clearance?

Perhaps it one of their new subies who bought the wagon and was so broke he could not afford a tape measure !

toonsy:

Dav36:
Why bring Stobart in to it it’s a maritime lorry blue not green

Because they’re notorious for it.

Plus the perception is they put themselves above the rest, tv programs as an example. And if you put yourself out there prepare to be knocked…

Well in my experience it’s mariti that go around thinking that they are above all else,stupid rules at every depot,drivers brain washed in to the “maritime” way…driver facing cameras to “protect” the driver, and then this “perfect” firm with its highly trained drivers do this :smiley:,
Not nice for the driver but I’m taking a bit of pleasure seeing this firm in a negative light

^^^^ there’s only one reason for driver facing cameras, its because a company has barrel scraped and employed idiots who have done as idiots always do, but think that idiots with cameras on them will somehow morph into competent drivers, it’s bloody hilarious.

NO excuse for not knowing the height of your vehicle,drivers responsibilty thats why height indicators are supposed to be in the cab and altered accordingly.
Hinckley Rd (14.3)and Attleborough Rd (15.2)are the only two bridges in Nuneaton that have not been demolished since the tracks became defunct.Finding a way round them is a nightmare if you don`t know Nuneaton the Ring Rd is not fit for purpose it creates more congestion problems than it solves.

lolipop:
NO excuse for not knowing the height of your vehicle,drivers responsibilty thats why height indicators are supposed to be in the cab and altered accordingly.
Hinckley Rd (14.3)and Attleborough Rd (15.2)are the only two bridges in Nuneaton that have not been demolished since the tracks became defunct.Finding a way round them is a nightmare if you don`t know Nuneaton the Ring Rd is not fit for purpose it creates more congestion problems than it solves.

Also will be a fine coming his/her way if they had the wrong height displayed on the height indicator in the cab.

that bridge has been marked down from 14’ 9’‘,iirc,a couple of years ago.we used to sail under with our 14’ 4’’ unit’s…some still do.

Yeah I go under it often running at 14ft though which is a bit different to going under it at say 15ft :laughing:

toonsy:
Yeah I go under it often running at 14ft though which is a bit different to going under it at say 15ft :laughing:

Why need hate Stobart,Maritime.Enter in google truck hit bridge and enjoy of pictures with different name of companies or folow google.co.uk/search?q=truck … 34&bih=614

Stobarts had put a shift in last week, so no need for a saturday morning bridge assault.

One of theirs caused the usual chaos on friday after bashing into the railway bridge on Victoria Road in Widnes. Literally five mins from their depot.

lolipop:
Finding a way round them is a nightmare if you don`t know, Nuneaton is not fit for purpose it creates more congestion problems than it solves.

FTFY. Lol

He must surely of known he was close to the height of the bridge…
What annoys me is the speed at which he hit the bridge. When I go under a bridge with very little clearance I take it slow and even drop the suspension if its really tight. The speed he hit the bridge suggests he obviously had no idea about the height of his trailer or just didn’t care.

I have never hit a bridge personally, we scraped a tunnel when a piece of metal was dislodged, but to wreck a trailer, get the wheels off the floor or push the bulkhead back on a shipping container is hardly scraping

I wonder what height his taut liner is?

I also wonder whether his midlift was up or down at the time?

I’ve told a few drivers at our place to be careful in the Scania of raising the midlift just in case. And a fair few have no idea it raises the height a few inches.

Admittedly we never go above 14ft very often unless using a curtainsider and shouldn’t really encounter any bridges lower than 14ft on the majority of places we go to.

But yet we have a Scania that drivers are unaware of the fact even though many know when we had subbies in with them, they were dropping trailers with the midlife raised and the Volvos couldn’t catch the pin to pick them up.

The shunters were having to lift them up wind the legs down a few inch and drop them so we could pick them up.

If I’m in the scanny I always stick the midlife down to drop the tailer.

adam277:
He must surely of known he was close to the height of the bridge. The speed he hit the bridge suggests he obviously had no idea about the height of his trailer or just didn’t care.

More like plain forgot about what he was driving.What a surprise truck’s made to drive just like cars to the point where it’s even more likely that a driver could possibly forget that he’s actually driving a truck not a car in terms of height. :bulb:

On that note the gantries and all the heavy hardware hanging on chains at the entrance of the Blackwall tunnel is probably there more to avoid the issue of drivers ‘forgetting’ all about the height of their vehicle.Not don’t know or don’t care about it. :bulb: