Couldn't find this in the search?

This may have been here before but I searched for it and couldn’t find it. If you ask me though, that is one big mis-judgement.

Kerbdog:
This may have been here before but I searched for it and couldn’t find it. If you ask me though, that is one big mis-judgement.

What, working for Stobarts? :wink:

Harry Monk:

Kerbdog:

What, working for Stobarts? :wink:

:smiley: :smiley:

Yawn. :unamused:

I think any driver that hits a bridge should be sacked instantly,you read on here all the time about drivers calling themselves professionals and complaining that they are not treated as such,well isn’t a diver driving a high vehicle as a ‘professional’ supposed to be aware of hazards such as low bridges? We all make mistakes,but in my opinion hitting a bridge is not a mistake it is carless/wreckless driving,if you’re not sure the trailer will clear the bridge,you stop and get out and check,who cares what traffic you are holding up behind you,it only takes a couple of minutes,and will save your employer thousands in damage,recovery and insurance,maybe if the driver was held 100% liable for all costs associated with a bridge strike they’d pay more attention to the job they are getting paid to do!

Afaik, it is instant dismissal with Stobarts.

lilysgranpa:

Well that’s good but the driver still walks away scot free,I know they have lost their job but it’s the employer that’s left to foot the bill over over one mans stupidity :unamused:

i ended up on the agency as when I went on holiday in August 2011, the small operator I worked for (2 units and a rigid) couldn’t get a driver to replace me for the artic and was only able to get a class 2 driver. The owner was driving the rigid so jumped onto the artic and used this guy on the rigid. Anyway, he put the wagon under an 11ft bridge and the tacho showed that he accelerated towards the bridge !!! :open_mouth: Turns out he was driving for 6 months and had 2 other accidents to his name already ! One involved him reversing through a wall trying to turn around in somebody’s drive in a rural lane :open_mouth:

To finish the story the guy who I worked for said he didn’t want to hire a replacement truck (due to cost - the same reason he didn’t hire an agency driver) and subsequently told me to go on the agency for a bit whilst he bought a rigid…I never went back, never earnt so much money since being on the agency, but regardless of that, I wasn’t going back.

I thought I recognised that photo!

One of the Green giants a little stuck!

Job Vacancy Going At Stobarts

Transc:
I think any driver that hits a bridge should be sacked instantly,you read on here all the time about drivers calling themselves professionals and complaining that they are not treated as such,well isn’t a diver driving a high vehicle as a ‘professional’ supposed to be aware of hazards such as low bridges? We all make mistakes,but in my opinion hitting a bridge is not a mistake it is carless/wreckless driving,if you’re not sure the trailer will clear the bridge,you stop and get out and check,who cares what traffic you are holding up behind you,it only takes a couple of minutes,and will save your employer thousands in damage,recovery and insurance,maybe if the driver was held 100% liable for all costs associated with a bridge strike they’d pay more attention to the job they are getting paid to do!

Remember when I first took a high sided trailer out to Ayrshire and I would go round the Heads of Ayr as theres a bridge near Maybole thats a different clearance height in either direction, I could never remember the height on the way back so I went the same way.

Wasn’t that long ago, I asked a Driver if they fit going back to Glasgow as I knew the camber on the road gave more clearance and he laughed at me and said they fit both ways, don’t remember the exact heights but the Trailer was 9 inches higher than the sign.

I was thinking, would you get done for attempting it with that difference, if the Polis were say behind you and knew you shouldn’t be able to get through, kind of reckless to try it type thing.

I quoted you because loads of Drivers from different firms must have thought to give it a shot.

tachograph:
I thought I recognised that photo!

One of the Green giants a little stuck!

Job Vacancy Going At Stobarts

Remember that on here now, its the bridge at Milngavie near Rangers training ground.

Left turn at the lights and you’re under the bridge in an instant, I would say its easier done than some might think if you’re a bit lost or something.

You swing round and when you see its there you`re cab is almost under, there wasn’t any signage before the turn or its hidden with trees or something, perhaps thats changed. lol

I must stress I have never struck a bridge but did turn down a road once, saw the bridge and had to get the polis to come out and stop traffic so I could reverse back out the road.

Can’t for the life of me remember where that was but it was an old Industrial estate and when you come off carriageway theres a 10 foot bridge stopping you entering and the signs direct you round to something like 14.6 but at 15.3 I still couldn’t get under, pretty shocking getting directed to this I thought.

Remember once going down this road near the cafe at stokrnchurch and had a branch come through the roof. I honestly didn’t see it as I was watching out for pedestrians etc :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Driver-Once-More:
Remember once going down this road near the cafe at stokrnchurch and had a branch come through the roof. I honestly didn’t see it as I was watching out for pedestrians etc :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Big difference hitting a branch,that to me was an accident,these things happen,a bridge is a totally different story :unamused:

Transc:

lilysgranpa:

Well that’s good but the driver still walks away scot free,I know they have lost their job but it’s the employer that’s left to foot the bill over over one mans stupidity :unamused:

That’s what insurance is for.

Transc:

i would guess that the vast majority of bridge strikes are not drivers unsure whether they’ll fit under or not, but have a go anyway! much more likely to be the lapse in concentration type, that we all have the potential for. anyone who thinks they don’t is a bigger fool than they think someone is that’s hit a bridge.

being liable for 100% of the cost would not make the slightest difference in the lapse in concentration type.

Transc:

Indeed! And if every ■■■■■ trumpet was held accountable for their spelling mistakes the world would be a better place!!! Professional or not! ■■■■