Mainly Rank Hovis & Spillers Milling

Try Again

Here you go !!

Regards. John.

Rank’s Baltic Flour Mill Gateshead, early 1950s

Good old photo that Graham, the Newcastle Evening Chronicle put this pic in a February 2008 copy with an article about how the transformed old Baltic Mill now named ‘The Baltic’ had an open day tour to look back at the past history, they also included the photo below in the article but I would think they would have had more on show at the time. The driver named G Bell in your pic was the Father of one of the Fitters I worked with at Ouseburn Transport on the Newcastle Quayside named Jimmy Bell, he had worked there since being an Apprentice right up to his 50’s when the company was finally winding down and he went off to drive for Spillers at the Tyne Mill, I believe his Father had also gone over to Spillers and quite possibly had a bit of a hand in getting him the job. At least I suppose the Baltic still stands despite its new role but sadly the old Tyne Mill was finally cleared away just before I retired last year. Franky.

Owd Foden n TF Ranks

france%20hovis%20foden%20posted.jpg

An interesting early 1950s street scene outside Buchannan’s Mills at East Float, Birkenhead. Opened in 1894 Buchannan’s was flattened in bombing raids of 1941. Rebuilt, the flour milling and animal feeds complex became part of the Rank’s empire.

greenwood14.jpg

A French’s flour AEC Mammoth Major Eight. J.W. French owned flour mills in Bow, east London, Lots Road Chelsea, and Ware. In the 1960s it became part of a joint venture with J. Lyons of Cadby Hall for supplying 50% of Lyons’ flour requirements, and later in that decade Lyons and French had another joint venture with the baking division of the CWS. In about 1970 Spillers became involved by buying the three French’s mills, along with some of the CWS flour mills and there was then a period of rationalisation with only the Ware mill surviving until it too was closed in 1983. I worked for Spillers at that time and the Ware mill closure caused me quite a challenge involving a famous pie and mash business in London’s East Ham High Street. But I digress…

The 43 bus route is from Friern Barnet to London Bridge station

gingerfold:
An interesting early 1950s street scene outside Buchannan’s Mills at East Float, Birkenhead. Opened in 1894 Buchannan’s was flattened in bombing raids of 1941. Rebuilt, the flour milling and animal feeds complex became part of the Rank’s empire.

Hi Graham, Great picture of East Float Birkenhead, Proper sacks of flour or animal feed on the Bedford artic.
The Birkenhead Corporation Leyland PD2 bus has bodywork by Massey Bros of Pemberton, Wigan, their factory,
later to become Northern Counties Coachbuilders, is just 600 yards/metres from where I live. Part of the mill
on the left still exists, converted into high quality apartments overlooking East Float Dock, just off the picture
to the left. Regards, Ray Smyth.

Just to add a bit of colour to Grahams Birkenhead picture above, albeit without a Rank Hovis lorry in sight,
I photographed this Birkenhead Corporation Leyland PD2 bus at an open day at the British Transport Museum
in Leyland about 2008.

I can remember in my earley days in transport loaoding at Spillers & Ranks in Newcastle & Gateshead, All hand ball on & off where you delivered to, It was hard graft in those days, But if one wanted to earn living one just did it, I can recall getting my first high wage packet in 1957 £19.00. for god knows how many hours, Plus Exs when away from home, Digs in Manchester in those good old days were 9&6 pence a night for dinner bed and breakfast, I used to stay at Mrs Smiths on Hyde Rd Ardwick Green, Tel No Ardwick 1858, , Do any of you old drivers remember any of of these good old days in Manchester, Regards Larry.

Spiller’s Tyne Mill and a few thousand tons of wheat being delivered.

And another Spillers French Mammoth Major

A post card of an artist’s drawing of Spiller’s Tyne Mill, nearing completion in 1938. Published by J. Andrew & Co Ltd of Ashton-under-Lyne. On completion Tyne Mill was 12 storeys high at its highest point, it was reputed to be the tallest flour mill in the world and Europe’s largest flour and animal feed mill in terms of output, with a capacity of 540,000 tons per annum. The wheat silos could hold 40,600 tons of wheat when full.

A couple of Hovis mills when it was an independent company and a sizeable company.

Spiller’s T45 eight-wheeler, later these were badged as Scammell Constructor, and all the T45 eight-wheelers were built at Scammell, Watford.

Spillers AEC Mammoth Major Eight

And a rear view of an AEC Mammoth Major Eight taken at Southall

Hi Graham,nice rear end shot of Spillers AEC eight wheeler,could you send me a copy of this please?cheers Keith.

FLOURPOWER:
Hi Graham,nice rear end shot of Spillers AEC eight wheeler,could you send me a copy of this please?cheers Keith.

Yes, I thought that it might be useful for any model makers out there. I’ll have to send it from my office computer.

COUPLE OF PICS FROM OLD ADS AND MAGS

Advert with Rank Hovis truck.

Click on twice to enlarge.

Couple of Spillers 8 wheelers

img435 (2).jpg

img435 (3).jpg

I used to love going to the various mills with dad in the sixties, however Ranks at silvertown was one to avoid as we could be waiting all day to get loaded. Great in good weather though, we used to ‘crash out’ on the lorry platform (laying on the sheet!) and get a suntan, I think eight hours was the longest we waited. Travel up from Reading empty, wait all day for a load and then deliver it the following day to a local farm, was a miracle that the lorry ever made any money! Fisons at Barking was even worse though. :unamused:

Pete.