Mainly Rank Hovis & Spillers Milling

Ranks 6.jpg
Ranks Hull Mill 4.jpg
Ranks Hull Clarence Mill.jpg
Ranks 6.jpgDeath of a Mill, RHM HULL MILL

Ranks 12.jpg
Ranks Hull Mill1.jpgHulls Death, expect its aw gone neh?

Ranks 11.jpg

CJA1:
10Hulls Death, expect its aw gone neh?

Just a pile of rubble now CJA

Making way for a new hotel I believe

Joseph Rank will be spinning in his grave. He started his business in Hull with a windmill, and within his lifetime he had become the biggest owner of flour mills in the country.

gingerfold:
Joseph Rank will be spinning in his grave. He started his business in Hull with a windmill, and within his lifetime he had become the biggest owner of flour mills in the country.

Aye All Very Sad Gingerfold??

Gingerfold what’s the history of Federation Flour, I don’t think it was a mainly Northeast concern or was it? Cheers Franky.

franky think the co-op had something to do with federated floor, remember seeing them at co-op mill Dunston may moon ago,

Cheers Jim, the photo appeared on another site and someone was asking about the name, I’m sure this photo has been on here before too but maybe in the flour millers thread. Hope your well mate, I’ve been ‘parked up in the yard’ you could say this last year, had a foot op before last Xmas with six months recovery and got Sciatica when I got back to work which has given me stick ever since, just hope next year is a better one. All the best to you and the family for Xmas and New Year hope to see you 2017 I’m taking early retirement then in April. Cheers Franky.

Hello Franky, Federated Flour was the brand name for CWS flour mills. In the heyday of the local co-operative society movements, every town and city had its local Co-op Society. The Co-operative Wholesale Society, which was the manufacturing business of the entire movement, operated flour mills in the major ports and cities, namely London, Avonmouth, Manchester, Gateshead, Edinburgh (Leith), etc. The outlet for the flour was to the local Co-op Society bakeries, some of which in the bigger towns and cities were sizable plants on a par with Sunblest, Mothers Pride, Homepride bakeries. In its day the CWS was a serious foodstuffs manufacturing business.

Perfect Graham thanks for the information, its a great pic too I’ll pass it on, so Bumper was on the right lines also, well done lads have a merry Xmas and a happy New Year. Cheers Franky.

From 1979 until 1997, I was a regular carrier with Rank Hovis,
and bought several lorries from them, they were usually about
6 years old when I bought them.
Photo 1. GYF 628N, Ford D1311 as bought.
Photo 2. HHX 310N,Ford D1311 & GYF 628N after I had handpainted them.
Photo 3. My Ex Rank Hovis trailer was away on MOT, This one was on loan
from Rank Hovis,Rotherham. The 28Ton Ford Cargo was Ex TI Creda
Cookers & Washers. Reg No.G391 ARE.

Regrds, Ray Smyth.

G391 ARE.jpg

GYF 628N   HHX 310N.jpg

GYF 628N Hovis.jpg

LYK 434P was another Ford D1311 Ex Rank Hovis that I bought in 1983.
The lorry is seen in Cleveleys in 1984. The “Midnight Blue” paint was from Robert Baillie Transport paint store.
Regards, Ray Smyth.

KK Leaving Eastwood Notts, Bag Wagon Leaving Roth Mill

RHM ROth MILL Canklow.jpg

RHM ERF KKs Motor leaveing Eastwood Bakery.jpg

Flour%20Milling%20224.jpg

Graham posted these image’s in 2012, if I may, I’d like to add some information on them.
The vehicle was operated by the Transport Division of the S.C.W.S. at 23 Scotland St, only the unit returned to the depot at the end of the day unless the any of the trailers needed attention.
There were two trailers and the Driver, Alex Thompson, know as Tequila as there were so many Thompsons, operated a shuttle service between the S.C.W.S. Regent Mill, Bunhouse Street, Glasgow, opposite the Kelvin Hall. to the U.C.B.S. Bakery at McNeil Street, Gorbals.
The procedure was to load a trailer at the Mill, run it to McNeil St and drop it in a bay to be unloaded, pick up the other and return it to the Mill for loading.
When the Transport Museum was in the KH, I parked my car in the council car park where the Mill used to stand, lots of memories of loading there.

The Octopus was operated by Leith Depot at Links Place. It was used between Edinburgh and the U.C.B.S. Bakery at Dunfermline, since there was no Forth Road Bridge then it went via the old A9 and Kincardine Bridge.

Hope this is helpful.
Alex

Man Mill Foden we Inherited from RHM On TF taking over.

TF%20Ranks%20Foden%20MC%20Mill.jpg

RHM MAN MILL TF.jpg

alexsaville:

Graham posted these image’s in 2012, if I may, I’d like to add some information on them.
The vehicle was operated by the Transport Division of the S.C.W.S. at 23 Scotland St, only the unit returned to the depot at the end of the day unless the any of the trailers needed attention.
There were two trailers and the Driver, Alex Thompson, know as Tequila as there were so many Thompsons, operated a shuttle service between the S.C.W.S. Regent Mill, Bunhouse Street, Glasgow, opposite the Kelvin Hall. to the U.C.B.S. Bakery at McNeil Street, Gorbals.
The procedure was to load a trailer at the Mill, run it to McNeil St and drop it in a bay to be unloaded, pick up the other and return it to the Mill for loading.
When the Transport Museum was in the KH, I parked my car in the council car park where the Mill used to stand, lots of memories of loading there.

The Octopus was operated by Leith Depot at Links Place. It was used between Edinburgh and the U.C.B.S. Bakery at Dunfermline, since there was no Forth Road Bridge then it went via the old A9 and Kincardine Bridge.

Hope this is helpful.
Alex

Yes very helpful thank you Alex. Was / is Chancelot Mill at Leith, now owned by ADM Milling, originally the SCWS flour mill? ADM acquired it from Allied Mills when they sold most of their mills to ADM. ADM Milling in the UK is part of Archer Daniel Midland of Decatur Illinois, one of the world’s largest agricultural based processing and trading companies, and its UK milling division comprises former Spillers and Allied flour mills. They are:
Leith - ex-Allied
Liverpool Toxteth - ex-Spillers
Liverpool Seaforth - ex- Allied
Knottingley - ex-Allied
Corby - ex-Allied
Tilbury - ex-Spillers
Avonmouth - ex-Spillers

Yes Graham, that was the new Mill which replaced the Junction Mill & the old Chancelot Mill in Edinburgh & Leith. The new mill was a joint venture with Rank Mills, the vehicles used to have variation of the S.C.W.S. Wheatsheaf logo which had CML instead of SCWS.
I only loaded there once, instead of pallets they used vinyl mats.
I loaded out of the two old Mills several times for the Oban Co-op Bakery, the bags came down a chute. At Oban, all the bags had to be carried up a set of stairs into the bakehouse. Many of the bakeries used to give you hot pies and cakes when the load was in their store, not at Oban though, miserable bunch that they were.
I’m a mine of useless information!

Alex

Thanks for clearing that up Alex, I was at Chancelot Mill in December 2016 and it’s a bit like the Marie Celeste with plenty of empty offices, which back in the day when it was built must have been fully occupied. It is however, a high tonnage output mill and because of its capacity it is the fall back mill if ADM is struggling with problems at any of its English mills.

Josef Rank and his Response after the bombing WW11. Clarence Mill Hull.

J RANK.jpg

Don’t know why that’s appened sideways view? LoL""