M26

Norfolkinclue1:

GasGas:
Never mind, just think of the blue passports…that will make it all seem worth it, I’m sure.

:smiley:

Oh and £350 million extra a week for the NHS…it must be true, it was on the side of a German-built bus!

Awwww, bless, another remoaner outs themselves with nothing more than the old 350 million line to trot out, you do realise it wasn’t a promise don’t you, you should read that great big bus again lad, semantics works both ways :smiley:
If you like we could discuss all the various lies peddled by Cameron, Osbourne and Soubry to name but a few but it would be pointless as the vote is done.
Thanks though for one thing, it’s always funny to read a remainers posts on the subject, if you think that Blue Passports were an incentive to vote leave then good on you, for me your posts speak of nothing more than a bitter, suddenly pseudo intellectual negative person.
Typically we will now be told all about the Irish border issues, the same Irish border issues that were not at any point thought about by 99.9% of the remain voters but suddenly they, and no doubt our Gas Gas, are all experts on the issue :unamused:

15 lines in this post, I like to try and keep it brief. I think the correlation between post length and coherent legible content is, at so many times, very obvious. Just saying… :grimacing:

I’m now aware of the Irish border issue, although I wasn’t two years ago. Does that mean I should ignore it?
If you start down a route, but encounter a “Low Bridge” sign what do you do? Take notice, or say “I wasn’t aware of that when I started, so I’ll ignore it”?

(Succinct enough?)

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

muckles:

Winseer:
Post Brexit - the “delays” are going to be for anything remotely possibly having stowaways on board -right?

That won’t be trucks trying to get back to the port to the continent then! All this flannel about the M26 becoming a “Truck Park” as per the OP - seems like just another “Project Fear” story designed to put the creepers up the NIMBY folk in the South East in particlur

The talk of delays are not about checking for immigrants, but sorting out customs clearance if we leave the European Single market and Customs Union without a deal that allows free movement to and from the EU.

The “Talk” might be “delays for every wierd reason under the sun” - that apparently didn’t exist 20 years ago before the Euro went live. Funny that.

The way I see it - the worst case scenario - is we go back to the way things were 20 years ago then!

Is that “bad”?

I can live with tearing up the Good Friday agreement, and generally unwinding “Blair’s Legacy” in a similar fashion to the way Trump is pulling the plug on Obama’s…

We didn’t have full “Free Movement” 20 years back - we had customs, duty frees, and getting done for trying to smuggle stuff through the green channel… Ahh the good old days!
The EU might want to lump the UK with all the bother - but they won’t be able to. If the UK controls it’s borders - then there’s no way that France et al can just send ships full of people and goods “bypassing the new tighter border controls”… Indeed, I’m rather worried by an apparent lack of a recruitment drive for such upcoming “border staff” to enforce our Dover Straits border in particular.

Don’t say “It can’t be done”. It can. What was the case 20 years ago - can just be rolled back to. Sure, the EU are gonna fight as they sink into their own quicksand - but all we need to do to complete Brexit - is stop paying over more money, and spend that money getting our own infrastructure set up instead. It ain’t rocket science, but it IS a problem that 90% of civil servants with their mits on the ■■■■■ strings, and 75%+ of Parliament - are not doing the jobs they draw their meaty salaries to do. Technically speaking - they are all FRAUDSTERS by this point. :bulb:

Anyone not wanting to implement Brexit - should RESIGN - before they get busted for the fraud they are now committing, drawing their pay whilst not budging an inch on getting Brexit done.

How hard can it bloody well be to cut the money flowing to Brussels? We’re not trying to get something back from the EU - we just need to stop letting them have it to start with!

“Political Will to get the job done”. All this forever “kicking Brexit down the road, and hoping enough Brexiteers will die off in the meantime to eventually permit a second referendum to take place” - won’t work.
School leavers want jobs. Jobs in public services that are still cash starved, because of ongoing austerity.

50+ for Brexiteers - is hardly “Pensioner” age - is it?
Nope, we are NOT all gonna die in the next 5-10 years!

If voters turning on the Tories - is supposed to make a revival of the Libdems or a Labour Majority happen - FORGET it!

Anger against May - will go straight to UKIP now.
Corbyn only wins - if Tory voters “stay at home, and don’t vote”.

That might have happened in the past - but NOT at the next election, should Brexit still not be done by that point.

Winseer:
The “Talk” might be “delays for every wierd reason under the sun” - that apparently didn’t exist 20 years ago before the Euro went live. Funny that.

The way I see it - the worst case scenario - is we go back to the way things were 20 years ago then!

Is that “bad”?

Twenty years ago Dover, for instance, had about 1.5m freight units, last year about 2.6m. We now have a greater population and greater dependence on imported goods and foods. Factory lines are more integrated with EU factories than they were 20 yrs ago.

Winseer:
What was the case 20 years ago - can just be rolled back to

The world is a different place than it was 20yrs ago.
As current members of the EU we now have 4% unemployment. 20yrs ago we had 6%. Go back 30yrs and we had over 10%.
“Is that bad”?

Winseer:
We didn’t have full “Free Movement” 20 years back - we had customs, duty frees, and getting done for trying to smuggle stuff through the green channel… Ahh the good old days!
The EU might want to lump the UK with all the bother - but they won’t be able to. If the UK controls it’s borders - then there’s no way that France et al can just send ships full of people and goods “bypassing the new tighter border controls”… Indeed, I’m rather worried by an apparent lack of a recruitment drive for such upcoming “border staff” to enforce our Dover Straits border in particular.

We dont have to have obstructive customs posts, true. We can choose to ignore any duties payable on imports from the EU in the interest of keeping trucks moving. So effectively a zero tax on imports or like being in a customs union...bit pointless leaving the EU if we do that. Similarly the EU can stop trucks in ferry ports in France, Belgium and Holland for as short or as long as they wish. If debarquing trucks have nowhere to park, then the ferries will not take any more from the UK. So there will be queues of trucks waiting to get into Dover etc. It doesnt matter what we do re customs checks. The EU had its freedom to do as it wishes on its own territory, as we do.
Would they be foolish to risk financial costs by doing this?
Yes, maybe.

That, of course, is why no one in the UK will ever risk going on WTO tariffs… :smiley:

The total budget for the UK, ie everything - pension, hospital, school, police, armed forces, prison, benefits, the lot. is about 700 billion per year

Our contribution to the EU budget. 10 billion. And that’s not really 10 billion wasted over there in Europe land. It’s the budget for the use of the whole continent including this island.

Aviation safety body, medicines agency, gallelao satellite system. We just signed new trade deals with Japan and Canada, all the negotiators paid by EU budget

We won’t end up with an extra 10 billion for NHS, because we will have to use some of it just to recreate what we just lost.

It’s like if you earn 700 quid a week and you spend a 10 pounds a week for sky TV. You could cancel, now you can’t watch sky and you have an extra tenner in your pocket.

Sure it’s nice to have an extra tenner but would it make a vast difference to your lifestyle whether you have 690 or 700?

For me the money is not a big issue.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

Winseer:

muckles:

Winseer:
Post Brexit - the “delays” are going to be for anything remotely possibly having stowaways on board -right?

That won’t be trucks trying to get back to the port to the continent then! All this flannel about the M26 becoming a “Truck Park” as per the OP - seems like just another “Project Fear” story designed to put the creepers up the NIMBY folk in the South East in particlur

The talk of delays are not about checking for immigrants, but sorting out customs clearance if we leave the European Single market and Customs Union without a deal that allows free movement to and from the EU.

You still don’t get it, as Franglais said, 20 years ago it was different far less freight, talk to the old school drivers about “queues on the Stairs at Dover" to get paperwork done”

Winseer:
The EU might want to lump the UK with all the bother - but they won’t be able to. If the UK controls it’s borders - then there’s no way that France et al can just send ships full of people and goods "bypassing the new tighter border controls

What are you talking about, this isn’t about illegal immigrants, its about the simple problem of getting goods from one country to another with an agreements being in place, so systems can be developed, to make it as easy as possible for 2 trading systems can operate as seamlessly as possible, so people moving the goods and buying and selling the goods know what systems and what paperwork they have use.
The only reason there are controls in France not the UK is due to an agreement, a deal, otherwise the checks would take place in Dover.

Winseer:
Don’t say “It can’t be done”. It can. What was the case 20 years ago - can just be rolled back to. Sure, the EU are gonna fight as they sink into their own quicksand -

Yes roll back to a system that dealt with only a fraction of the freight there is now and hope you can cope with the extra freight, although for most of the industry even knowing that was the plan would be a step forward from the, no plan, no deal we have at the moment.
The EU isn’t going to fight, because they want a deal to allow goods to move, but they’re not going to throw away the entire principle of the single market to accommodate it. It amazes me that a group of Brexiteers want us to do trade deals with the whole World, but do their nut at any suggestion of a deal with our closest trading area, an area we’ve built up trade with for many decades.

Mazzer2:
[quote="del trotter

Let’s think, [zb] road network from Newhaven adds to journey times, let alone it is a dearer crossing, wonder why more don’t use it. :unamused:
[/quote]
It is only marginally more expensive than Dover and depending on where you’re heading in France you will soon recoup that, Calais to Orleans 5hr.15 driving and at least 75% tolled, Dieppe to Orleans 3hr.50 driving and approx. 30% tolled. Hassle free journey once booked on delays are rare and usually weather related. Coming back the immigrants are nowhere near as much of a problem as other ports constant security and vehicle checks on entry to Dieppe port.
[/quote]
It would surely be worth any extra expense and/or inconvenience IF coming the “long way around” got you out of all the “Gauntlet Running” expected of one otherwise…

I’m not talking about it being the Driver’s will btw.

I’m talking about the employers of those truckers - who then lose their load of perishables on their way to the UK because some illegal scumbag has been living on top of it for hours and days, not bothering to even get off the boxes of fruit to have his holys hite (■■■■ be upon him) which must surely render the entire load - “fit for the dustbin”…?

To think I used to like Nick Abbot’s LBC programme, but he acts now as if he’s been bought over by someone like Soros…
How can anyone shout for the illegals in these situations that have now been going on for YEARS? :frowning:

muckles:

Winseer:

muckles:

Winseer:

You still don’t get it, as Franglais said, 20 years ago it was different far less freight, talk to the old school drivers about “queues on the Stairs at Dover" to get paperwork done”

Winseer:
The EU might want to lump the UK with all the bother - but they won’t be able to. If the UK controls it’s borders - then there’s no way that France et al can just send ships full of people and goods "bypassing the new tighter border controls

What are you talking about, this isn’t about illegal immigrants, its about the simple problem of getting goods from one country to another with an agreements being in place, so systems can be developed, to make it as easy as possible for 2 trading systems can operate as seamlessly as possible, so people moving the goods and buying and selling the goods know what systems and what paperwork they have use.
The only reason there are controls in France not the UK is due to an agreement, a deal, otherwise the checks would take place in Dover.

Winseer:
Don’t say “It can’t be done”. It can. What was the case 20 years ago - can just be rolled back to. Sure, the EU are gonna fight as they sink into their own quicksand -

Yes roll back to a system that dealt with only a fraction of the freight there is now and hope you can cope with the extra freight, although for most of the industry even knowing that was the plan would be a step forward from the, no plan, no deal we have at the moment.
The EU isn’t going to fight, because they want a deal to allow goods to move, but they’re not going to throw away the entire principle of the single market to accommodate it. It amazes me that a group of Brexiteers want us to do trade deals with the whole World, but do their nut at any suggestion of a deal with our closest trading area, an area we’ve built up trade with for many decades.

That’s it there in red - hit the nail on the head you have.

“What does the far side of Brexit look like” with regards to truckers and trade in particular?

For the last 20 years - it has been massively increased on Britain’s EU portside roads in particular.

POST Brexit - we’re looking at buying imports from the wider world (where we can shop around for price) with those goods then coming to the full SPREAD of UK ports all around our Island. There’s enough of them, compared to what other EU nations have after all.

That takes traffic away from the traditional ports, and adds them to say, Southampton, Plymouth, Milford Haven, Fishguard, Holyhead, Liverpool - you get the picture.

It would make life FAR more difficult for the immigrants trying to stow away, as there would be a whole lot less truckers actually making the ferry crossing, but rather instead “dropping container at container port”, and another trucker picking up container at the other end". That means we need to utilize the UK’s array of Deep Water Container Ports, likely needing to greatly expand the ones we already have.

Post Brexit, the M26 won’t need to be turned into a “truck stop” simplly because Post Brexit, our leaving the customs union and single market makes most of those truckers - dwindle away back to a lower figure not seen last sine the 1990’s, prior to the introduction of the Euro and soft borders which have caused us all so much trouble these past two decades since. :bulb: :bulb: :bulb:

Now wake up at the back there! :stuck_out_tongue:

How hard can it be to handle shipping containers at the ports - better than these guys in the vid? :stuck_out_tongue:

Winseer:
It would surely be worth any extra expense and/or inconvenience IF coming the “long way around” got you out of all the “Gauntlet Running” expected of one otherwise…

I’m talking about the employers of those truckers - who then lose their load of perishables on their way to the UK because some illegal scumbag has been living on top of it for hours and days,

If more UK bound trucks use other ports, then the immigrants shift their attention to other ports, like they have already to places like Caen and Bilbao.
Also the problem isn’t just the ports, they can get on anywhere in Europe, these aren’t loners taking a chance, they’re the commodity for a huge illegal operation.

And as you see from Caen (Ouistreham, actually), you have to slow down in the town before you get to the Port.

Winseer:
POST Brexit - we’re looking at buying imports from the wider world (where we can shop around for price) with those goods then coming to the full SPREAD of UK ports all around our Island. There’s enough of them, compared to what other EU nations have after all.

So where are those goods going to come from while we wait for this brave new World and all those new trade deals?
And what do you suggest we do in the meantime?

Winseer:
That takes traffic away from the traditional ports, and adds them to say, Southampton, Plymouth, Milford Haven, Fishguard, Holyhead, Liverpool

And Rotterdam, Antwerp and Hamburg.

Winseer:
It would make life FAR more difficult for the immigrants trying to stow away, as there would be a whole lot less truckers actually making the ferry crossing, but rather instead “dropping container at container port”, and another trucker picking up container at the other end". That means we need to utilize the UK’s array of Deep Water Container Ports, likely needing to greatly expand the ones we already have.

And while we wait for that extra capacity to be built in our container ports to be built, where do you suggest all those new containers come into, maybe Rotterdam, Antwerp and Hamburg and get delivered to the UK by road and that will become normal so they’ll scrap plan to build bigger UK ports?

And if people traffickers find it more difficult to use Ro-Ro ports they won’t stop they’ll just switch their operations to using small boats and land them on East Coast beaches instead, like they do with other goods, the business is far to lucrative and chances of being caught far too small to stop them.

Winseer:
Post Brexit, the M26 won’t need to be turned into a “truck stop” simplly because Post Brexit, our leaving the customs union and single market makes most of those truckers - dwindle away back to a lower figure not seen last sine the 1990’s,

If you believe overnight in March 2019, that container transport will replace all those trucks, then you are delusional, if it goes down to 1990 levels it means that the economy has crashed, especially as I seem to remember we went into a recession in 1990.

muckles:

Winseer:

So where are those goods going to come from while we wait for this brave new World and all those new trade deals?

If we’d stopped paying the EU by now - there is no way the EU would cease taking our money for goods we’d both purchased already, and awaited delivery of - AND further orders using the in-place infrastructure that the EU isn’t going to be able to dismantle in a hurry. Remember “Brexit is done” once we stop paying for membership. There was no talk of “not paying for actual goods purchased”.

Winseer:
That takes traffic away from the traditional ports, and adds them to say, Southampton, Plymouth, Milford Haven, Fishguard, Holyhead, Liverpool

A Brit ordering food from the continent - isn’t going to want that food delivered to continental ports - are they? :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Winseer:

And while we wait for that extra capacity to be built in our container ports to be built, where do you suggest all those new containers come into, maybe Rotterdam, Antwerp and Hamburg and get delivered to the UK by road and that will become normal so they’ll scrap plan to build bigger UK ports? If the incoming trade is spread out over more UK ports, then the Continental ports are going to see a “spreading out” as well. Lower traffic for the mainstays, and inflated traffic for the currently quiet ports. The UK must have more Container Port capacity than any other country in the EU, on account of it being an Island with a bloody long coastline.

And if people traffickers find it more difficult to use Ro-Ro ports they won’t stop they’ll just switch their operations to using small boats and land them on East Coast beaches instead, like they do with other goods, the business is far to lucrative and chances of being caught far too small to stop them. In the past 20 years - relatively few immigrants have attempted to cross the channel in that way, compared to simply stowing away in the too-busy traffic stream of UK-bound trucks. - and that’s before you add “new patrols with the powers of arrest and internment” to catch what blighters do manage to land around Thanet to harrass the local nimbys if they are not caught pretty smartish…

UK: Inflatable Boat and Jet-Ski Smuggling Gang Convicted
Gang facing jail after plot to use jet-ski to smuggle migrants foiled | ITV News

Winseer:
Post Brexit, the M26 won’t need to be turned into a “truck stop” simplly because Post Brexit, our leaving the customs union and single market makes most of those truckers - dwindle away back to a lower figure not seen last sine the 1990’s,

If you believe overnight in March 2019, that container transport will replace all those trucks, then you are delusional, if it goes down to 1990 levels it means that the economy has crashed, especially as I seem to remember we went into a recession in 1990.

It doesn’t need to replace it overnight - it never did. That was just an EU scare story to make us change our minds about Brexit as being “Impossible to do”. It took a while to set up the current system, and it will take a while to dismantle the current system. It takes 60 seconds with a mouse to “cancel further membership payments to Brussels” though. It hasn’t been done, because the EU owns our civil servants, and tells them that “these payments halted - breaks EU law”. I wonder what we did in 1940 when leaflets came through the door telling non-government-supporting Brits to “pressure their government to give in to Hitler’s demands”…
What is the worst that can happen, assuming everyone and his dog has lied about this?

Let’s stop the payments first, and then worry about laws and which suits get to lose their jobs later.

If I had to lose my job to get Brexit done - I’d consider that a “Price well worth paying”. How many overpaid stuffed suits can say that though?
I want our public services back - without pushing me for more taxes to do it. Whoever does Brexit - gets my vote. If Brexit isn’t done - then a promise of Brexit will have to do, and that means a UKIP surge enough to deny the mainstream parties an overall majority. The EU isn’t afraid of that because the machinery already in place - prevents UKIP being in the next government, even if they get the most seats - just like on the continent with their parties of the Right…

Franglais:

Winseer:

Is that “bad”?

Twenty years ago Dover, for instance, had about 1.5m freight units, last year about 2.6m. We now have a greater population and greater dependence on imported goods and foods. Factory lines are more integrated with EU factories than they were 20 yrs ago.

Winseer:
What was the case 20 years ago - can just be rolled back to

The world is a different place than it was 20yrs ago.
As current members of the EU we now have 4% unemployment. 20yrs ago we had 6%. Go back 30yrs and we had over 10%.
“Is that bad”?

Winseer:

We dont have to have obstructive customs posts, true. We can choose to ignore any duties payable on imports from the EU in the interest of keeping trucks moving. So effectively a zero tax on imports or like being in a customs union...bit pointless leaving the EU if we do that. Similarly the EU can stop trucks in ferry ports in France, Belgium and Holland for as short or as long as they wish. If debarquing trucks have nowhere to park, then the ferries will not take any more from the UK. So there will be queues of trucks waiting to get into Dover etc. It doesnt matter what we do re customs checks. The EU had its freedom to do as it wishes on its own territory, as we do.
Would they be foolish to risk financial costs by doing this?
Yes, maybe.

That, of course, is why no one in the UK will ever risk going on WTO tariffs… :smiley:

My Niece back home in the UK is a Bus Garage Manager and explained the drivers at her Garage in London are struggling to take home 300 a week under a new roster. you can claim stats in relation to employment, however … Fact is wages have stagnated, Big companies exploit EE workers reducing the wage etc … Even driver on here state the wages in the 1990’s 2000’s were more than they are today. Employment figures are always in the position to be manipulated, a person on a 0 hour contract is classed as employed but without a guaranteed income.

Winseer:
I want our public services back - without pushing me for more taxes to do it.

The public services you are so keen to get back have been decimated by years of underspending by successive governments, nothing to do with the EU, as to not paying more tax, did you not hear the Chancellor say taxes will increase to fund the NHS as this is what the public want, how is that the fault of the EU?

del trotter:

Winseer:

The public services you are so keen to get back have been decimated by years of underspending by successive governments, nothing to do with the EU, as to not paying more tax, did you not hear the Chancellor say taxes will increase to fund the NHS as this is what the public want, how is that the fault of the EU?

If the reduction of EU and Non EU residents happen it will have less of a strain on the public ■■■■■ … immigration in higher than emigrating I believe at the last count, there were 150k more arriving than leaving … take older persons who arrive who contribute nothing to the public ■■■■■ but take out … that is rising …, it is time for all EU and Non EU to have to contribute to the public ■■■■■ Ie pay NI and income tax before any benefits are taken out … loads come over on ■■■■ poor pay and topped up by tax credits … free movement costs money … go to France as an expat and expect the same as you get from the UK.

discoman:

del trotter:

Winseer:

If the reduction of EU and Non EU residents happen it will have less of a strain on the public ■■■■■ … immigration in higher than emigrating I believe at the last count, there were 150k more arriving than leaving … take older persons who arrive who contribute nothing to the public ■■■■■ but take out … that is rising …, it is time for all EU and Non EU to have to contribute to the public ■■■■■ Ie pay NI and income tax before any benefits are taken out … loads come over on ■■■■ poor pay and topped up by tax credits … free movement costs money … go to France as an expat and expect the same as you get from the UK.

What a load of tosh, a study by UCL in 2016 showed that EU migrants contributed on average £1.34 to the UK economy for every £1.00, eastern Europeans £1.12/£1.00 and those from the rest of the EU £1.64/£1.00, the strain on services such as the NHS comes from an ageing population and increases in obesity in the population.
Try reading some facts, rather than the DailyMail/Sun: fullfact.org/immigration/migrat … -benefits/

del trotter:

discoman:

del trotter:

Winseer:

What a load of tosh, a study by UCL in 2016 showed that EU migrants contributed on average £1.34 to the UK economy for every £1.00, eastern Europeans £1.12/£1.00 and those from the rest of the EU £1.64/£1.00, the strain on services such as the NHS comes from an ageing population and increases in obesity in the population.
Try reading some facts, rather than the DailyMail/Sun: fullfact.org/immigration/migrat … -benefits/

Utter tosh? … please give the stats on how many EU and Non EU citizens use the NHS in the first 3/5 prior to any meaning full contribution … as soon as they arrive they are entitled to a lot of rights. If a person requires a 100k operation at 60 years of age and as you say the ageing population… they will never pay back into the system. … prove the fact of persons entering the country who have not contributed … you cannot blame a native who has paid into the system for 60 years wanting to take out as they age … also, how many EU citizens drive non registered UK vehicles and deprive the central government of revenue … or how about all the EU nationals in prisons who are career criminals … how about the EU and non EU who commit crime ( yes Brits do it I agree) … it took on average 65k for year 1 then 40k per year after to house one Non Uk national … also, how many non UK companies are taking earnings away from British hauliers etc … more to it than what they allegedly contribute… considering a 10 year sentence would yield 425k losses will take a lot for non UK nationals to ensure that figure is accurately reported.

fullfact.org/immigration/how-im … -finances/

Further more your own evidence a year is contradictory to its own report.

Migration is an act carried out by predominately young people, as for the migrants being the cause of pressure on the NHS again not true, I know these don’t fit your argument by facts are facts.

bruegel.org/2016/06/what-is-the- … mmigrants/

fullfact.org/europe/eu-immigrat … ssure-nhs/

fullfact.org/immigration/eu-imm … ned-today/

:unamused:

del trotter:
Migration is an act carried out by predominately young people, as for the migrants being the cause of pressure on the NHS again not true, I know these don’t fit your argument by facts are facts.

bruegel.org/2016/06/what-is-the- … mmigrants/

fullfact.org/europe/eu-immigrat … ssure-nhs/

fullfact.org/immigration/eu-imm … ned-today/

:unamused:

Not here to debate with you, the fact the 3rd link clearly states to curb low skilled workers says it all … of course migration is a good thing … I migrated and contribute elsewhere now … but truck drivers complain ,non UK drivers lower the wage, reducing the amount of taxes gained … it’s ok trying to just use particular items … it is not just young workers who arrive … it is all age groups … fact remains your comrades in the uk voted to leave the EU … Reducing less migration to the UK … as said prior, all the non resident EU drivers reducing wages, taking work from British hauliers … not paying UK taxes as trucks are EU registered not buying UK diesel etc, under cutting … it’s not just about a couple of aspects … As said 1 prisoner in a UK jail costs 40k per annum … how many have to pay tax for him ., he also has access to education in prisons courses etc … a lot of EU workers are low paid on zero hour contracts ask sports direct … who get tax credits … you need to see the whole picture rather then wear your EU rose tinted glasses.

Winseer:

muckles:

Winseer:

If we’d stopped paying the EU by now - there is no way the EU would cease taking our money for goods we’d both purchased already, and awaited delivery of - AND further orders using the in-place infrastructure that the EU isn’t going to be able to dismantle in a hurry. Remember “Brexit is done” once we stop paying for membership. There was no talk of “not paying for actual goods purchased”.

nobody said they would stop taking our money, you implied that we would buy goods from all over the World and that would mean there weren’t queues in Kent, I merely pointed out this wouldn’t happen overnight, so therefore will or won’t there be the same level of cross channel freight in March 2019?

Winseer:

A Brit ordering food from the continent - isn’t going to want that food delivered to continental ports - are they? :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

So if we’re still going to buy food from the continent, why would it come in from Container ports instead if the routes it uses today?

Winseer:

And while we wait for that extra capacity to be built in our container ports to be built, where do you suggest all those new containers come into, maybe Rotterdam, Antwerp and Hamburg and get delivered to the UK by road and that will become normal so they’ll scrap plan to build bigger UK ports? If the incoming trade is spread out over more UK ports, then the Continental ports are going to see a “spreading out” as well. Lower traffic for the mainstays, and inflated traffic for the currently quiet ports. The UK must have more Container Port capacity than any other country in the EU, on account of it being an Island with a bloody long coastline.

The length of coastline has nothing to do with it, it’s about the economic capacity, we will have the container port capacity that makes business sense with the amount of trade, there won’t be a magically hidden capacity, if we gave more container traffic than it will make economic sense to build more container ports. Rotterdam handles more freight than the main UK container ports put together, becuase it has the economic capacity of mainland Western Europe behind it .

And if people traffickers find it more difficult to use Ro-Ro ports they won’t stop they’ll just switch their operations to using small boats and land them on East Coast beaches instead, like they do with other goods, the business is far to lucrative and chances of being caught far too small to stop them.

In the past 20 years - relatively few immigrants have attempted to cross the channel in that way, compared to simply stowing away in the too-busy traffic stream of UK-bound trucks. - and that’s before you add "new patrols with the powers of arrest.

The traffickers look for the easiest route, if one is made more secure they’ll go for the next, hence moving away from Calais to other less secure ports. If there fewer truck they’ll go for another option, plenty of drugs are already smuggled this way so wouldn’t take much of a leap to add immirgrants to this, as for new patrols, that more in your imagination, Judging by the delays I faced at Calais the other week UKBF haven’t got enough staff to do the job their tasked with now. What new powers of arrest, they have always been able to arrest illegal immigrants.

Winseer:

It doesn’t need to replace it overnight - it never did. That was just an EU scare story to make us change our minds about Brexit as being “Impossible to do”. It took a while to set up the current system, and it will take a while to dismantle the current system.

What EU scare story? You’re the one that said the M26 won’t need to be turned into a truckstop because we’d be down to 1990 levels of freight, not the EU, so if it doesn’t happen overnight where do those truck waiting to get thier paperwork go in March 2019 if we don’t have a deal with the EU?

discoman:

del trotter:

Winseer:

The EU rebate was kept too small to avoid discontent over the decline of our public services. There’s always enough for the next installment to be paid to Brussels, but when it comes to “more money” for Transport/NHS/Social Care/Housing/Jobs/Roads and every other public concern under the sun… There is a limit to how much we can borrow before overseas would-be bond buyers - start getting cold feet about continuing to oversubscribe the next month’s fresh bond issue, which is all we have to fund out burgeoning budget deficit with.

Whist it makes sense to borrow more when rates are low - now that rates have bottomed out, and are now on an upward slope - surely now is the time to find other ways of funding that do not involve increased borrowing, or better still reduce it. The PSBR.

The ECB thinks it is a god among banks. It ain’t That’s the Chinese banking system, they who actually invented banking in the first place.!

The ECB buys up a lot of freshly-issued UK bonds, and one of the “punishments” possible to inflict over Britain doing a “Hard Brexit” - is that "The UK would not be able to borrow further on the cheap, because interest rates would rise sharply if the ECB so wished it.
In our favour though - is the fixed interest nature of the bond market. Once the amount is borrowed, the interest rate (as an absolute sum of interest) payable on those bonds - is fixed for the life of the bond.

That means if you borrow a trillion quid at say, 1% interest for a 10 year coupon maturity - then if interest rates rise to 5% two years later - then only fresh borrowings attract the 5% rate, not the trillion you’ve already borrowed. A sensible borrower would stop borrowing “new money” outright, to avoid that punitive 5% rate at all costs, and would string out the halfway-through 1% bonds - choosing NOT to pay them off “early”.

THIS is all we would have to do to facilitate a “Hard Brexit”. It won’t matter if the EU wants to charge us the earth, or attempts to raise our interest rates sharply. If we choose not to borrow any longer - we don’t pay Jacks hit of any rate rises - ever!

That means a UK “post Brexit” - is a UK that has seen the PSBR collapse then. We’d be living within our means, and would have the income from not one, but THREE “magic money trees” to choose from:

(1) The “Brexit DIvidend” - that money we no longer pay to Brussels… Is it £350m per week? - Probably not. very LIKELY not. I would put it conservatively “somewhere between £100m and £999m per week”.
Thus, £350m per week - actually looks a bit on the lower side of halfway - don’t it?

(2) The overseas aid budget. That is the money that currently goes towards things like Third World child prostitution, Developing countries space programmes, Third world dictator’s luxury items, huge amounts of administration fees, and a bit left over to keep some hapless third-world kids alive - just so they can perish from the next “humanitarian crisis” instead, which might be only a few weeks and months away after all the charity workers have long since departed. This budget is currently around £13billion per year - and we’re not allowed to spend any of that money on UK interests overseas neither!

(3) NATO contributions. NATO could and should have been wound down after the collapse of Communism, and Gorbachev being deposed. If we can’t afford to pay hard cash to irradicate Islamic Terrorism from the world any longer, then why-oh-why must we cough up funds for re-building a fresh new Iron Curtain - on OUR side of the border this time around■■? According to UK GOV - Britain’s contribution to NATO is defined as just over 10% of GDP… Britain’s GDP estimate for the current tax year 2018-19 is some 2 Trillion USD. That means our 10% quota - represents the biggest “Magic money tree” outside of America’s contribution to NATO… $200 BILLION per YEAR…

FFS We could build 200 super-sized A&E capable Hospitals all around the country - and fully fund each one to the tune of a cool billion quid apiece - out of ONE single year’s money “not paid to NATO” any longer…!

We don’t need protecting from “Russians”. We need protecting from our own bloody Bureaucrats! :bulb: :bulb: :bulb:

Alternatively, - we could have a look at Labour’s version of the Magic Money Tree - which only involves the “small beer” of chasing current taxpayers for “more taxes” instead.

It is a lot harder to raise money that has already been given away, than to raise money - by not dishing it out in the FIRST place.

Our government - ANY of our governments - could grab all three of the magic money trees that I envisage - that would cause exactly what harm to UK citizens of ANY background, other than working directly in those “industries” as it stands?