Op stack lorry park

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-36723359

Love the “to hasty” comment how many years has it been going on? And the “it’s not a solution” by CPRE.

Certainly too hasty in view of the referendum result. 90 % of the financial benefit will be for foreign hauliers. A park in the Ashford area with others further afield off the Mway network would have been a better idea. The whole thing being based upon the idea that trade levels will continue on the same level with Europe as before. Yet we now have the opportunity to do a far greater proportion of our trade outside Europe with the consequent requirement for our run-down ports to benefit from significant investment. Furthermore we are in a position to be able to say to Germany for example, that the terms of the negotiated Brexit deal do not suit us particularly well so as a consequence we will agree to continue to import VW and other German cars, but will only be accepting those manufactured and delivered from their South American factories. The demand for road freight via the channel tunnel and ports may well decrease significantly, particularly as the majority of the current traffic is import related. The lorry park may well become a vast white elephant.

I smell a rat and can easily see a lack of use resulting in individuals, speculators and companies trousering vast sums of money, when the opportunity comes to reallocate the now ‘Brown Field site’ for housing development.

I smell a rat too, Matthew Balfour of Kent County Council…and the contract being awarded to Balfour Beatty…probably nothing in it but you never know!

cav551:
90 % of the financial benefit will be for foreign hauliers.

How so ? I suppose a foreign lorry is just as happy to sit on the motorway waiting as opposed to a “lorry park” waiting. I’d of thought the benefit was to the public travelling through the area, also the wider public in the area of not having lorries parked up everywhere willy nilly, and of course justthe fact generally another place to stop would be welcomed by all lorry drivers ? But i’m not in Kent and you are so i’ll appreciate you’ll have your finger on the button a bit more than me ?

GORDON 50:
I smell a rat too, Matthew Balfour of Kent County Council…and the contract being awarded to Balfour Beatty…probably nothing in it but you never know!

Well, actually I think people do know, as the history of Balfour Beatty is pretty straightforward to find out - the founders have been dead since the 1930s/40s and the whole company has been bought and sold several times since.

Whether or not the current Balfour Beatty can manage to build a big car-park is probably a better line of speculation. If the ground’s flat and they’re not expected to surface it then they should be OK, as long as someone else does the drainage and the motorway junction.

They moaned when OP Stack was used and now they moan when they’ve come up with a solution…

Radar19:
They moaned when OP Stack was used and now they moan when they’ve come up with a solution…

Hold on a minute mate. We need to investigate the Balfour family first, see if there’s any connections . :smiley:

Mike-C:

Radar19:

Hold on a minute mate. We need to investigate the Balfour family first, see if there’s any connections . :smiley:

Jumping ahead in the script. My bad :grimacing:

not sure where Mr paul o grady[lily savage] lives in kent but apparently he said the new truck park would border his farm and he was not a happy chappy about it

truckman020:
not sure where Mr paul o grady[lily savage] lives in kent but apparently he said the new truck park would border his farm and he was not a happy chappy about it

Tell him to bugger back up north then!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cav551:
Furthermore we are in a position to be able to say to Germany for example, that the terms of the negotiated Brexit deal do not suit us particularly well so as a consequence we will agree to continue to import VW and other German cars, but will only be accepting those manufactured and delivered from their South American factories. .

I did a bit of research on VW car sales in the EU, by country, and so as to not have the figures corrupted by the emmisions scandal, I researched 2014. In 2014 VW sold 1.7million cars in the EU, of which 220000 approx. were sold in the UK. That’s roughly 13% of VW’s sales in the EU. Now that is a significant number of units, but not company busting. I think that VW could tick along on 87% of their sales, maybe their sales would increase in the remaining EU, as an import tariff on British built cars sold into the EU, would probably be bought into play. Were we to insist on non EU built cars being sold into this country.

Just a thought :wink:

^^^^
Don’t use logic they don’t like that here.

eddie snax:

cav551:
Furthermore we are in a position to be able to say to Germany for example, that the terms of the negotiated Brexit deal do not suit us particularly well so as a consequence we will agree to continue to import VW and other German cars, but will only be accepting those manufactured and delivered from their South American factories. .

I did a bit of research on VW car sales in the EU, by country, and so as to not have the figures corrupted by the emmisions scandal, I researched 2014. In 2014 VW sold 1.7million cars in the EU, of which 220000 approx. were sold in the UK. That’s roughly 13% of VW’s sales in the EU. Now that is a significant number of units, but not company busting. I think that VW could tick along on 87% of their sales, maybe their sales would increase in the remaining EU, as an import tariff on British built cars sold into the EU, would probably be bought into play. Were we to insist on non EU built cars being sold into this country.

VW obviously being just one EU car manufacturer that we would hit in return.At least if we weren’t lumbered with and a gutless government and whining nation of wimps that’s hell bent on grovelling to Juncker.Remind us again what the ‘combined’ EU car export figure to UK is as opposed to the UK’s to Europe.

While the mindset that we’re going to remain a net importer of manufactured products,paid for with borrowed money.Instead of reversing the trade deficit with domestically made products,will just sink the place the same whether it remains or leaves. :unamused:

Oh ■■■■, who let him ^^ in?

Carryfast:

eddie snax:

cav551:

VW obviously being just one EU car manufacturer that we would hit in return.At least if we weren’t lumbered with and a gutless government and whining nation of wimps that’s hell bent on grovelling to Juncker.Remind us again what the ‘combined’ EU car export figure to UK is as opposed to the UK’s to Europe.

While the mindset that we’re going to remain a net importer of manufactured products,paid for with borrowed money.Instead of reversing the trade deficit with domestically made products,will just sink the place the same whether it remains or leaves. :unamused:

I did say, that 13% of sales is a significant number of units.

What I was trying to counter, was the assertion, that we could tell German or other EU car manufacturers that we would only accept vehicles manufactured outside the EU, at least we could tell them this, but it would come with consequences. As much as the German car builders will lobby Brussels to get a Brexit deal suitable to them, I’m sure the likes of Nissan, Toyota, Ford, Vauxhall, Mini and others would want to keep a relatively benign trading environment with the EU, that wont happen if we were to put barriers to EU manufactured cars :wink:

truckman020:

Given that he promised to leave the country if the Tories won the 2015 election, I’m not sure why we’re still having to listen to his whining on any subject. Maybe the Italians wouldn’t have him after all.

wilbur:

truckman020:

Given that he promised to leave the country if the Tories won the 2015 election, I’m not sure why we’re still having to listen to his whining on any subject. Maybe the Italians wouldn’t have him after all.

No wonder the Tories won in 2015, but like so many Politicians, O Grady has reneged on a pre election promise :unamused: :unamused:

I don’t understand why so many people seem to think we should have a trade war with Germany? I thought leaving the EU was about getting out of the political union, not to cease trading with the rest of Europe?

GORDON 50:

would not surprise me either,if you had the means to really dig deep into council business you would probably find a lot of corruption and backhanders,happens everywhere