M1 crash-court update

I’m intrigued and will be interested in the outcome of the other driver. I still don’t understand why he’s been charged and is appearing in court for death by dangerous driving, when the only thing he might have done wrong is not seeing something in the dark in time to react?

Is there failings on DVSAs part as well? Should they have a duty to inform an employer if they have revoked a licence? Rather than assume the driver will do it or wait for an employer to do checks on all their drivers…if they ever do?

truckyboy:
i didnt read anything about race in that report…where was it…? non the less the polish driver seems to be the main cause of this tragedy, causing so many deaths…god bless them all…in an earlier report it said he was over the limit…in this report it adds that he was asleep in a live lane and his licence had been revoked…doesnt mention how the other driver got involved,no good summising…we will have to wait for the trial to begin…i hope the pole is remanded in custody as we know what will happen if he is bailed.

:unamused: he has been in custody since the accident (if you’d kept up you would with respect know this).

I can only say at our place agency drivers have to fill in a licence check form every week, and a licence check has to be done. Employed staff should be checked every 6 or 12 months. I still disagree with the fact they use our details to log in online as if we were doing it ourselves rather than request a licence check code which is illegal.

Worrying times for AIM logistics then… Surely they would have their o licence removed for their complacency??

Terry T:

TiredAndEmotional:
This accident happened at a time of day that is recognised as being a time of day when fatigue is a major factor in RTA’s. Who thinks night work is well paid?

I’ve done night driving/tramping for years and while there’s been times when I’ve had to stop coz I’m so tired I usually sail through the whole night without getting fatigued. This of course requires you setting yourself up for it in advance. If you get up at 8am to do 5 hours of DIY, do the weekly shop then visit your sick granny in her care home followed by 15 hours out in a truck you’re going to be tired but with proper planning I’m just as alert at night as I am in the day.

I’m happy on nights, you can keep day work ta very much. In fact, I can think of just as many instances of me having to stop to sleep when I’ve been on days. I’m not much of a morning person.

I think a big factor here is you just don’t expect someone to be stopped where he was. Inattention on the part of the minibus driver had to be a factor. I drove over the crash marks on the road last week and that section is lit up being right on the junction so his view would’ve been very good. Who knows what he was doing.

Really want to know why Fedex driver is being prosecuted. Need to know more really coz with the info they’ve released it’s just guess work.

I agree with this man.

I do Nights also and I feel fresh.One issue I have is if I get given a unit that is 52mph limited ,It just drags which can make you tried.

SouthEastCashew:
Worrying times for AIM logistics then… Surely they would have their o licence removed for their complacency??

I would guess some curtailment is a possibly and or the o licence holder being up ■■■■ creek without a paddle. And I bet someone will lose their job at the least. They will do everything to blame a single person like big companies do and use them as a sacrificial lamb.

donkey: You might want to read the article again. Try it slowly, and out loud.

I have read it twice, i can read about a Polish man…an english man…and 8 indians dead…yes they are different races…but for the life of me i cannot see the word RACE mentioned anywhere…please copy and paste the sentence…where the race card is being used…the trial has been adjourned because council wasnt present…and to give time for the relatives to bury their loved ones and grieve…if race was to be used, then surely it would be the prosecutors or defence teams that would mention it. anyway…time for a cuppa.

truckyboy:

I have read it twice, i can read about a Polish man…an english man…and 8 indians dead…yes they are different races…but for the life of me i cannot see the word RACE mentioned anywhere…please copy and paste the sentence…where the race card is being used…the trial has been adjourned because council wasnt present…and to give time for the relatives to bury their loved ones and grieve…if race was to be used, then surely it would be the prosecutors or defence teams that would mention it. anyway…time for a cuppa.

The bit that was highlighted was your comment about hoping he (“the Pole”) gets remanded in custody. If you actually read the article you’ll see that he was indeed RIC. Which was the point the Mule was making…

I wonder what he’d had his licence revoked for?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

IronEddie:

Being a [zb] liability probably

simcor:

SouthEastCashew:

I would guess some curtailment is a possibly and or the o licence holder being up [zb] creek without a paddle. And I bet someone will lose their job at the least. They will do everything to blame a single person like big companies do and use them as a sacrificial lamb.

As mentioned, depends on the circumstances, it is not reasonable to expect operators to check licences prior to every drive.

Own Account Driver:
As mentioned, depends on the circumstances, it is not reasonable to expect operators to check licences prior to every drive.

Reading the press articles, it would appear this particular licence was revoked in 2014 or earlier (It was revoked by VOSA, but they became DVSA in that year). So, either he was a new (to them) driver and they didn’t check, or he had driven for them before but they hadn’t checked his licence in three years…

Be interesting to see how much of that particular mud sticks in this case.

Blue Day:

IronEddie:

Being a f’kin liability probably

No doubt. Just wondering if it was revoked due to alcohol since he was over the limit when the accident happened.

It’d say much about his character if he had a drink problem on going from the time his licence got revoked.

IronEddie:

Blue Day:

IronEddie:

No doubt. Just wondering if it was revoked due to alcohol since he was over the limit when the accident happened.

It’d say much about his character if he had a drink problem on going from the time his licence got revoked.

It was mentioned after the accident, that he split up with his partner, lives in his car, and has a drink problem…

I have worked for AIM Logistics and I will state here & now that I was run 100% legal.

All the appropriate checks were done, never asked to do anything dodgy, kit was maintained well and it is one of the few firms that I would work for again.

We have no idea the circumstances behind this drivers licence and some of the stuff that has been posted on social media today is sickening.

If the company has done wrong, then they will be held to account for it, I’m sure. But to suggest putting a company out of business without the full facts being known, and the obvious cost to the rest of the employees, is childish and ridiculous.

the nodding donkey:

IronEddie:

Blue Day:

IronEddie:

It was mentioned after the accident, that he split up with his partner, lives in his car, and has a drink problem…

Yeah I remember, maybe I misunderstood but I put the drink down to coping with splitting up and living in his car. Just now wondering if actually his drinking problem predates all that. Not, I suppose, that it would have much bearing on his case.

truckyboy:

I’m sure that article originally mirrored the Sun’s report.In that Mazierak’s defence representative Laban Leake had actually made a comment,regarding the difference between the Fed Ex driver being granted bail,while his client was denied bail with the issue of their respective nationalities having been raised as part of that.The inference being obvious.Which seems to fit the definition of playing the race card.

Not to mention seemingly not a word of objection,by the same defence rep,concerning the ‘allegations’ ( facts ? ),related to the driver being parked in lane 1 and asleep.Let alone allegedly also over the drink drive limit and having no licence. :unamused:

Roymondo:
Our lot only check our licences every 12 months.

Our lot check them every 3 months for employees and monthly for agency.

Carryfast:
Not to mention seemingly not a word of objection,by the same defence rep,concerning the ‘allegations’ ( facts ? ),related to the driver being parked in lane 1 and asleep.Let alone allegedly also over the drink drive limit and having no licence. :unamused:

Why would he object to them at this stage of the proceedings? The only representations to be made are those in support of his client’s bail application. Unless he is in a strong position to argue that there is no case to answer (and so have the case dismissed from the outset), the details of the alleged offence(s) are irrelevant in a bail/remand hearing.

Carryfast:

truckyboy:

I’m sure that article originally mirrored the Sun’s report.In that Mazierak’s defence representative Laban Leake had actually made a comment,regarding the difference between the Fed Ex driver being granted bail,while his client was denied bail with the issue of their respective nationalities having been raised as part of that.The inference being obvious.Which seems to fit the definition of playing the race card.

Carryfast you’re right. Not often that I say that… :grimacing: