I've been to the lorry driver trial today

…in sheriff court.

It was very interesting.

First - because I spend most of the time in a proffesional witness room chatting with very nice traffic officer (I learned that if I don’t drive lorries, I don’t need to carry my digicard with me). Then it turned up that I will not be needed as a witness so I went to court room to watch the trial.

Second - because the procurator said that “we could expect more from a proffesional driver than from someone who goes to the shop once a week” and the sherrif took her down, saying that everyone is suppose to drive with appriopriate care and attention, no matter if he drives once a week or does it for living. Therefore the matter in question is if he was driving properly in certain conditions, not if he should drive better than others. I liked it, as I agree with court on that.

Third - because it was really appaling case of Polish interpreting. I never seen such a cowboy. I even disturbed the case, as I could not sit quiet when to the question “when did you started to brake” the accused answered “I saw that car and then I started to brake but it was already too late” and interpreter translated it to “When I hit this car it was too late to brake” which can suggest that he did not braked at all! I mentioned it to the police officers who were sitting next to me, as I just can’t stand this, and they passed it to the court official who told the defence lawyer and the matter was discussed with a sheriff and then this question was claryfied. So no harm to anyone this time. But remember, such a interpreters are working in Scottish courts on daily basis!

Fourth - because I was glad to see that this driver got banned, but also I was really courious what the court wants to do with his POLISH driving license he took away from him (he has no right to get his Polish license, as it’s not Scottish :slight_smile: He can only ban him from driving in UK (unless something changed over last few weeks). But anyway, he was banned for 12 months on the basis of dangerous driving (i think, I wasn’t able to hear everything from the back, it might be careless only) and after that he has to pass his tests again, so knowing that no employer will take him in, I can feel now my safer. Why?

Five - because I saw his tacho chart. I know that the tipper drivers are famous for being crazy, but come on, all tipper drivers: how many of you top the speed scale on the chart? Because this one did it quite a few times this day. 125 km/h in 32 ton tipper lorry!!! The guy had also two previous sins on his virtual counterpart license - one of it was driving on the phone and other I wasn’t able to hear.

I consider it very educative experience. I learned a lot from the traffic officer I was chatting with, I learned a lot of the Scottish court procedures, I had a good laugh at the sheriff’s wig and I earned 170 quids for that day. Not bad!

Ah. As I was there not as a interpreter, but just as a member of public, I can tell you everything. This was a case (maybe some of you heard) of tipper lorry crashing in seven cars on the M74 nb near Hamilton junction last summer. Do you think that 12 months ban + financial penalty is a fair punisment? (noone died, one person was badly hurt but recovered).

£170 for the day :blush:

depablo:

He’s getting that and he was not needed!!! The other bloke who was interpreting (wrong) was also getting paid i’d assume. The way its going there’ll be more Poles in the Courts than scousers and that wants some doing !!! :laughing: :laughing:

Mike-C:

depablo:

He’s getting that and he was not needed!!! The other bloke who was interpreting (wrong) was also getting paid i’d assume. The way its going there’ll be more Poles in the Courts than scousers and that wants some doing !!! :laughing: :laughing:

I would dare to tell that there is already more Poles than scousers in Scottish courts :smiley: :smiley:

depablo:

Not for the day but for amount of hours I’ve been there untill released :slight_smile: About 4 hours :smiley:

All I got was a £4 meal voucher, my travel expenses and a token amount (I think it was £25) because I was self employed :frowning:

brados:
All I got was a £4 meal voucher, my travel expenses and a token amount (I think it was £25) because I was self employed :frowning:

Yeah, but if I was involved in a case as a interpreter for a police, I am considered proffesional - i sit in a separate witness room with all police officers etc. And I am paid on their rate.

orys:

brados:

Yeah, but if I was involved in a case as a interpreter for a police, I am considered proffesional - i sit in a separate witness room with all police officers etc. And I am paid on their rate.

Which is probably more than 170 quid.

Sorry mate, but this is a ridiculous amount of public money, or does the accused pay for the translator? It’s ok I know the answer, the cost should be in the form of a fine if found guilty

Mike-C:

depablo:

to true :laughing:

orys:

brados:

Even if you can’t quite spell it right Orys :wink: Don’t worry, that one catches a lot of native English speakers out too. Its professional.
Not putting you down my friend, just trying to help you as indeed I offered a long time ago.

pete-b:
Sorry mate, but this is a ridiculous amount of public money, or does the accused pay for the translator? It’s ok I know the answer, the cost should be in the form of a fine if found guilty

IF found guilty.

100% agree.

Btw: what’s a real scandal is a interpreters being sending to jobcentre or to dentist. I’ve been on such jobs.

If you are going to dentist for regular treatment (not emergency) in the country wchich don’t speak your language, it should be your problem to pay for interpreter or to find Polish-speaking dentist.

But the jobcentre appoitments is a joke of the century. How on earth anyone is supposed to find a job if he even can’t go to the jobcentre alone?

I am angry as much as you on that, because it’s also my tax money. And it’s also shame on Polish people.

Driveroneuk:
Even if you can’t quite spell it right Orys :wink:

That’s why I said “I am considered as” instead of “I am” :smiley:

orys:

pete-b:

IF found guilty.

100% agree.

Btw: what’s a real scandal is a interpreters being sending to jobcentre or to dentist. I’ve been on such jobs.

If you are going to dentist for regular treatment (not emergency) in the country wchich don’t speak your language, it should be your problem to pay for interpreter or to find Polish-speaking dentist.

But the jobcentre appoitments is a joke of the century. How on earth anyone is supposed to find a job if he even can’t go to the jobcentre alone?

I am angry as much as you on that, because it’s also my tax money. And it’s also shame on Polish people.

I wasn’t having a pop at you orys, and there are a number of foreign people using this service not just polish.

orys:

Mike-C:

depablo:

I would dare to tell that there is already more Poles than scousers in Scottish courts :smiley: :smiley:

alright alright calm down :blush: :laughing: :laughing:

how many of you top the speed scale on the chart? Because this one did it quite a few times this day. 125 km/h in 32 ton tipper lorry!!!

THERE MUST OF BEEN ALOT OF HILLS WHERE HE WAS RUNNING LOADED LOL! :smiley: :open_mouth:

orys:
125 km/h in 32 ton tipper lorry!!!

Many places don’t have scales so it’s very difficult to load a tipper right to its gvw, so you either drive empty or overloaded. Then you can drive downhill at fair speed so as not to slow down other trafic. Scotland is a hilly country, so it happens quite often. None of that is driver’s fault.
Uphill you only manage 25km/h so the average speed works out reasonable 75. Top speed achieved during the day is in no way relevant to the speed he was driving at in the time immediately before the accident.
How do you know it was a 32t lorry? was it officially weighted after the accident? on certfied scales? he could have been empty it thus only weighing 13t. Clearly, you are exaggerating the risk associated with operation of HGVs and trying to influence the court.
I demand the charge of dangerous driving be reduced to driving without due care.

(I think I could be a lawyer :smiley: )

Driveroneuk:

orys:

brados:

Even if you can’t quite spell it right Orys :wink: Don’t worry, that one catches a lot of native English speakers out too. Its professional.
Not putting you down my friend, just trying to help you as indeed I offered a long time ago.

Professional is easy to spell, only because it is written at the top of the pages on this forum :laughing: :wink:

It may be a disgusting amount of money from the public ■■■■■, but there is no-one on here would turn it down. I admire you Orys. at least you can speak Polish and English and still understand Glaswegians…

Wheel Nut:
I admire you Orys. at least you can speak Polish and English and still understand Glaswegians…

I agree, where I work they just sit in groups looking you up and down. There their own worst enemy, would chat with anyone to pass the time of day (or night).

As for interpreters, do voluntary work and at times they use these for polish families. Maybe another line of work for Orys, easy money as the polish families don’t usually appear :unamused:

i was on jury duty for 3 days last month
62 pounds+traveling expences daily
had 3 nights driving wages deducted
not a nice experience