Lovell's Wharf

hi cocney pete3 my name is john heaton . charley hayes was lead driver then went in office; the wharf was full of copper and lead the warehouse on the rigbt passed the office was called the pelton.

Hello again John, I think we are talking about the same fella, all the people who worked at the wharf where all very friendly and didnt mind a nosey little lad hanging around all the time. The shed on Pelton road was built in 1965 and adjoined Lovell House, an office block built to house the expanding Seawheel operation. The warehouse had an London Metal Exchange warrant and did handle copper stocks until 1972, thereafter it was mainly used for packs of sheet steel. Ive got a couple of days off this week and ill try to put some more of my pictures up. Peter

Hello again John, I think we are talking about the same fella, all the people who worked at the wharf where all very friendly and didnt mind a nosey little lad hanging around all the time. The shed on Pelton road was built in 1965 and adjoined Lovell House, an office block built to house the expanding Seawheel operation. The warehouse had an London Metal Exchange warrant and did handle copper stocks until 1972, thereafter it was mainly used for packs of sheet steel. Ive got a couple of days off this week and ill try to put some more of my pictures up. Peter

Hello all. I remember Lovell’s well from my school hol’s riding with dad. We always called it Charlie’s (this was mid - late 70’s). They were inland clearance agents for Fairfreight International from Atherstone who my dad subbed for.
FFI ran mainly 1626 Merc’s a couple of Renaults a lone 88 & a 2300 Daf too in those days,all French groupage. There was a lot of transhipping done at Lovell’s especially on fridays when the wagons got back into England & offloaded groupage for southern deliveries there & topped up for the north or even with french bound groupage that would be consolidated back at Atherstone. We’d often be there most of the day friday then eventually head for home 5 or 6 o’clock ish.
Fairfreight eventually got their own warehouse away down towards the Woolwich ferry the name of the little ind est. escapes me but I passed it recently and the buildings are still there. They sold out to Debeaux in the early 80’s who eventually went into receivership & the English side was sold to Anglo European but sadly the wagons were sold & the drivers nade redundant.
Happy memories from round there, we often parked outside thursday nights & dad would take me off round The Cutty Sark & through the foot tunnel under the Thames etc. Always got steaming hot mugs of tea off Charlie & his Mrs in the mornings & then i’d help transhipping, stripping & rebuilding tilts & helping the flat lads sheet & rope,I was still a schoolboy remember,could you imagine that now? Was a great “apprenticeship” to the industry & is something that’s sadly lacking now.
A final PS. to Ocean Clipper…
Hey up mush, or should I say Axle? Yes it’s me, Flipper. How’s things shag? Hope you’re okay. Bye bye…NOW!!!

My goodness, this takes me back. I used to take coil from Lovell’s to the Midlands in the mid 70s. I was working for Owen Dives of Rotherhithe, in a Scania 80, quite a nice motor compared to the “A” series ERF and Atki’s he was running. A couple of bullnose Mercs, too, which were interesting.

Being a bit new at the game, I often wondered why we were almost the only locally based haulier, nearly everybody else taking back loads. Since I don’t think he lasted much after this time, I think I now know why!

Scammellier

hi fipper i dont belive its you mate . go to davies international southampton all the shags are there

3300John:
Hiya…you could load of Lovell,s in Runcorn or Garston in the 70,s was,nt that where John o,farrall did the paperwork
( he always had a white raincoat on)… stopped of in Cannock today for a chat with a chap Dennis Smith his missus
is the daughter of the mr Squires nice lass makes a good cuppa.
John

Are you sure his name wasn’t Brian O’Farrell ? Still alive and kicking in the Pink Shed, Birkenhead.

hi all.happy new year to all of you on the lovells site.

Seasons Greetings to all my fellow Trucknetters!
As promised a couple more pictures, first up is one from the late 40’s, i think! apologies for the quality, its a photo of an old photocopy… Im also adding a couple just ‘borrowed’ from the internet, search for Lovells Wharf and these pop up, Various copyrights.
Cheers all.
Peter

IMG-20121228-00166.jpg

IMG-20121228-00165.jpg

Something borrowed!

Wilson Transport F7 sitting on Banning Street waiting to load.

D&M Cargill E series loaded with long iron.

Another E10 from A&H Davey with coil.

Big un from M.A Glencross, 143 loaded with long iron.

Tollgate mk1 Volvo F12 under the 20 tonne crane.

Ready for the off, J.A Hutchinson E10 with ree-bar.

various finds from around the net…

some more

FA DAYSON (3).jpg

D&M Cargill.JPG

and again…

Joseph Foulkes.png

WHEN MY STEPDAD WORKED FOR JAMES BRADFORD IN BERMONDSEY THEY THEN MOVED TO LOVELLS WHARF IN THE LATE 80’S EARLY 90,'S AND THAT IS HIS BLUE COMMER CAMPER VAN HE HAD FOR YEARS

ANDY

Cockney Pete3:
D&M Cargill E series loaded with long iron.