Lovell's Wharf

kevmac47:

Cockney Pete3:

newmercman:

Cockney Pete3:
Round Oak Motor Services Renault R340 tag waiting to load at SEACON Express Wharf,

That’s Westferry Road in Cubitt Town if my mince’s don’t lie :wink:

Spot on mate, its the small tuning opposite the entrance to the London Steel Terminal, had to be careful taking pix there though, Seacons where always a bit funny with people pointing cameras in there general direcrtion

Was that Pinn & Wheelers on Westferry Rd? I used to load coil on a flat out of there in the 70s.
If I remember correctly we loaded three coil and chained them together thru the hole then one
chain thru the front and back coils pulling in opposite directions. It was still a scary load to carry
and braking was done as if you were carrying eggs under the front coil. When I think of the gear
we carried then to be able to load any product to get us home Its a wonder we didn’t get "done
for overloading. regards kevmac47

Pinn Wheelers was in River Road , Barking. I know where your’e coming from loading heavy coil on flat trailers, had a few bum twitches there :slight_smile:

bloxotrix:

Cockney Pete3:

bloxotrix:
Hi Pete. I used to load out of Lovell’s Wharf in the 80’s when I worked for Gauden Shepherds Transport. We used to load heavy coil back to the Midlands.

Graham.

Thanks for your help Graham, I’ve found pics of a Borderer and a Sed Ak 401 online

Was it this one by any chance. My old girl DFK 200Y

Thanks for the pic Graham, sorry the 401 pic I found on Flickr is a B reg, I just did a search for the name and they came up. Used to get a lot of black country fims loading there, K transport, Gills transport, Hayes Freight, Adam Jones, Phil Jenkins, JA Jones. Regulars from Stoke aswell, A & H Davey, Bassetts, Critchlows, Browns of Stoke too, all from that neck of the woods. Peter

bloxotrix:

kevmac47:

Cockney Pete3:

newmercman:

Cockney Pete3:
Round Oak Motor Services Renault R340 tag waiting to load at SEACON Express Wharf,

Spot on mate, its the small tuning opposite the entrance to the London Steel Terminal, had to be careful taking pix there though, Seacons where always a bit funny with people pointing cameras in there general direcrtion

Was that Pinn & Wheelers on Westferry Rd? I used to load coil on a flat out of there in the 70s.
If I remember correctly we loaded three coil and chained them together thru the hole then one
chain thru the front and back coils pulling in opposite directions. It was still a scary load to carry
and braking was done as if you were carrying eggs under the front coil. When I think of the gear
we carried then to be able to load any product to get us home Its a wonder we didn’t get "done

Pinn Wheelers was in River Road , Barking. I know where your’e coming from loading heavy coil on flat trailers, had a few bum twitches there :slight_smile:

The main metal wharves in London where SEACON, Express Wharf, Westferry Road, Millwall, still going strong in Northfleet. Lovell’s handling all types of finished and semi finished products, Pinns and Wheeler, Wellbecks and Kierbeck on River road in Barking. I think the load that the dockers hated was the big sheets of steel, very slippry and would bend a lot as the cranes lifted them.

Cockney Pete3:

bloxotrix:

kevmac47:

Cockney Pete3:

newmercman:

Cockney Pete3:

The main metal wharves in London where SEACON, Express Wharf, Westferry Road, Millwall, still going strong in Northfleet. Lovell’s handling all types of finished and semi finished products, Pinns and Wheeler, Wellbecks and Kierbeck on River road in Barking. I think the load that the dockers hated was the big sheets of steel, very slippry and would bend a lot as the cranes lifted them.

I think my brain is turning to jelly getting Westferry and River Rd’s mixed up :blush: As af Jan.3 my motor can’t go into the
low emissions zone. How sad :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: I really am gutted to miss out on all those traffic holdups. I often wonder how
the London hauliers cope with it on a daily basis. regards kevmac47

So… As its gone a bit quiet on here lately, I was hoping that a couple of my photos would help to jog some memories but I’m still looking for pictures from the following fleets: K Transport (original red and green livery) Gills Transport (Dark green DAF 2800’s) Kelvedon Transport (Orange ERF’s). Phil Jenkins, BA Shorthouse, Bridgenorth (Green, white and red Sed Ak’s) Northrose (Purple Scanias) General Haulage Co (Red and white Scanias) J Critchlow’s (Yellow ERF’s) got a few more on the wish list and I’m very grateful for all the help upto now. Other information is very welcome but these firms where regular’s at the wharf.

Cockney Pete3:
Does anyone remember loading at Lovell’s Wharf in Greenwich, im interested particularly in the 70’s to when the yard shut in 1989. Im looking for operators, fleet details and hopefully photos. I grew up next to the wharf and i used to stand by the gate taking down the details of the wagons that pulled up that day, over a hundred a day loading steel and aluminium mostly. The reason for asking is im halfway through a model of the wharf, i have a list of around 60 hauliers from memory but details and liveries are a bit sketchy. Thanks all.

i used to load coil out of lovells back for s wales for ken jones and john stephens of newport

pete 105:

Cockney Pete3:
Does anyone remember loading at Lovell’s Wharf in Greenwich, im interested particularly in the 70’s to when the yard shut in 1989. Im looking for operators, fleet details and hopefully photos. I grew up next to the wharf and i used to stand by the gate taking down the details of the wagons that pulled up that day, over a hundred a day loading steel and aluminium mostly. The reason for asking is im halfway through a model of the wharf, i have a list of around 60 hauliers from memory but details and liveries are a bit sketchy. Thanks all.

i used to load coil out of lovells back for s wales for ken jones and john stephens of newport

pete 105:

Cockney Pete3:

Thanks for your help, 2 firms I remember well, Stephens with their blue ERF’s and a solitary MAN F90 and Ken Jones had some very smart green Mercs and MAN trucks

dwaftruck:

pete 105:

Cockney Pete3:

Adam Jones is another black country firm that I remember loading at wharf. 2 series Scanias in my particular era, great pic, those Hinos where pretty rare this side of the Irish sea

The business end of the yard, Everards small coaster Celebrity probably in from Ghent in the early 80s

Hi

I remember going into Lovells Wharf when I was learning to drive in 1979. I had a Scammell Handyman for G. Burgess & Son of Westerham. We used to pull TOE tilts out of Newhaven. Think we used to tip wine there.

Thanks for the post. I remember tilts coming out of the rear of the yard, usually from Continental Cargo Carriers. I never knew what they where tipping/loading though, as tilts where a rare sight at a steel wharf I assume they where something to do with the freight fowarding side of the business. The only other time I remember seeing tilt trailers where returning rejected coils back to Germany.

THIS IS LOVELLS WHARF NOW

ANOTHER PIC

ONE MORE

TRANSCON ANDY:

Not quite the same atmosphere nowadays :unamused: :frowning:

hi my name is john heaton i worked c.saw lovells .thay had fhere trucks and tralors in the60s (aka ocean clipper)

chalie hayes was a driver before he went in office . i dont know if still with us.

adr:

TRANSCON ANDY:

Not quite the same atmosphere nowadays :unamused: :frowning:

We used to play football on those cobbles. There where goals painted onto the walls of the warehouse that used to be there…

Hello John, thanks for the posts. I think i remember a Charlie who worked in the offices, Im pretty sure his wife worked in the reception there too, if we’re talking about the same guy. Ocean Clipper? I’m not familiar with that name, any more information? I know that Shaw Lovell tried a few times too succeed in running wagons, according too the company history, it was never a successful part of the group. The book mentions Hunters of Hull, bought up in the 60’s, other than that i think that hauliers where contracted too the various parts of thee company ie freight fowarding/ Seawheel/ container storage. Having said that ive recently been looking at the Commercial Motor archive and Shaw Lovell/ Lovells Wharf where acquiring and operating wagons into the 50’s including some ex BRS motors. I have got an excellent picture of a Bedford O type dropside outside the wharf. Im posting a couple of pictures ive found on the web, a Hunters Leyland and some Maggies based in Felixstowe.
Peter

L083442a-500x500.jpg