moores-

-Anybody remember moores of ayr who used to haul steel ingots about with well used scamm.ell highwaymen units and even more well used trls. but they used to go like bats out of hell

I remember Moores very well. They used to haul barrels south and I always thought it was tallow but a member of the Big A team assures me it was whisky. The barrels were loaded accross the flat length ways, all down either side the barrels were hanging over the side with the roped holding them on. I had a long nose Scammel with a 680 Leyland dragging a Chemical tanker. Moores had a Meadows engine and the front mudguards turned with the wheels when steering. I used to meet the drivers regularly as I went up towards Kilmarnock from the South.

Would that be gilbraiths you worked for. I had a mate used to work for them now sadly departed this world who used to run scotch for them.

Regards Dave

Their Scammells were regulars in Steel Peech and Tozer at Templeborough Rotherham loading out of cogging mill for Scottish Stampings at Ayr.Late 60’s.

SPT, a name to joggle the memory. I used to go there regularly with open top containers full of scrap working for Bulkliners of Beeston, Nottingham and one day went under the wrong arch and whacked it with the box cracking the windows in the office above, filling it with steam from the fractured pipes and bringing all the young ladies screaming into the yard. I think they thought the end of the world had come. :unamused: :blush: :laughing:

Sid Harrison used to shunt in thereand there was a bloke stationed on the corner near the cogging mill to warn drivers of loco’s shunting as well.He was a scruffy little t---- and always cadging ■■■■(get you loaded next drive-yer know). anyroad two Sids shunters put him in his hut ,turned it round to the wall and backed a trailer up to it while they went for snap.He weren’'t rayt happy about that,but it didn’t stop him cadging cigs.

Does anybody remember big Jed with the handlebar moustach who drove for Moores of Ayr. Is he still around.

Jed was actually Geordie Johnstone the last time I saw him was about 25yrs ago he was shunting in a carpet factory in Kilmarnock with a wee Karrier unit. I was in Moores Oils a few months ago and was asking about him but nobody knew if he was still to the fore.Some of the attached photos are not so good but beggers canny be choosers. Eddie

archie gibson also drove for moores, he used to live in kello and worked in the mine before he went to moores.in the 60s airchie told me he used to stop on the way down at the same place & have a nap
anyway this day he went for a tea and the truck behind him had pushed his wagon into the bengal lancer in front and the steel was all the way through the cab! when he came out.
jimmy

erfguy:
Jed was actually Geordie Johnstone the last time I saw him was about 25yrs ago he was shunting in a carpet factory in Kilmarnock with a wee Karrier unit. I was in Moores Oils a few months ago and was asking about him but nobody knew if he was still to the fore.Some of the attached photos are not so good but beggers canny be choosers. Eddie

Thanks for the info. on Jed that could be him in your photo. He always wore a hat with the fishing flys in. He was a real character and had a thing about picking up one arm bandits and droping them if they didn’t payout. I always met up with him at the Lincoln Farm Cafe at Hampton in Arden.We would have a few drinks and before you knew it was 4am and Jed would say I haven’t time to go to bed now and was on his way up the road. I was only a young whippersnapper then and drove a Foden wagon and drag for Lathams Transporters. We had some good nights in those days 1965 to 73.

Our paths have maybe crossed I used the Lincoln Farm often 67 - 74 I was on for McMurdo of Sanquhar. That was Geordie in the photo its a shame they werent better quality but thats life. Eddie.

erfguy:
Our paths have maybe crossed I used the Lincoln Farm often 67 - 74 I was on for McMurdo of Sanquhar. That was Geordie in the photo its a shame they werent better quality but thats life. Eddie.

We must have crossed paths at some stage Edd. You must remember big Davey nickname The Beast on McGawn’s also Bubbles McGuffy on Agnew and Lithgow. We had some good nights at Lincoln Farm in those days. All gone now with sleeper cabs. I was on my way home to Preston one Sat morn. when this Austin 1800 was flashing his lights at me and I thought who’s this then he stuck his head out of the window and that big moustach was blowing in the wind. Jed must have been going on holiday. Edd.