Lovell's Wharf

Hi, Folks, The pics on this site are just fantastic , Cheers Barry

I remember loading out of Lovells for John Raymonds, mostly steel coil either for home or the midlands if doing a “3 pointer”, we had coilers & often saw Bassett’s loading coil on flats with irons , we thought they were nuts !!! could be a long wait to load sometimes & the locals would moan at you for parking outside their houses , cant blame them really , must have been hell
:slight_smile:

not wanting to p+++ on anyones chips regarding copyright, just wanted to share some of the photos ive found of the regulars out of Lovells, hope you all enjoy

ken Jones.JPG

few more…

Traction GB (2).jpg

Stiller 1635.jpg

last ones for now can anyone add to the list?
still looking for pictures of K transport (original green and red livery) and Gills transports Dafs (darker green with a white roof)

DJ Bloor(Transport) Ltd.png

unclegargameld:
I remember loading out of Lovells for John Raymonds, mostly steel coil either for home or the midlands if doing a “3 pointer”, we had coilers & often saw Bassett’s loading coil on flats with irons , we thought they were nuts !!! could be a long wait to load sometimes & the locals would moan at you for parking outside their houses , cant blame them really , must have been hell
:slight_smile:

well for me, a young lad fascinated with all the wagons, the cranes on the wharf and the ships i thought it was the best place ever, very sad day when Shaw Lovell called time on this little wharf but with pressure from the local residents, longer and heavier artics, the cost of dredging the berth and the amount of re-development on the north bank it was inevitable that the wharf would have to close.
remember Raymonds very well, SA 400/401’s Volvo F10/Fl10’s in my day, smart looking livery on there wagons too.

TRANSCON ANDY:
WHEN MY STEPDAD WORKED FOR JAMES BRADFORD IN BERMONDSEY THEY THEN MOVED TO LOVELLS WHARF IN THE LATE 80’S EARLY 90,'S AND THAT IS HIS BLUE COMMER CAMPER VAN HE HAD FOR YEARS

ANDY

Cockney Pete3:
D&M Cargill E series loaded with long iron.

ill have to have a look Andy to see if ive got any pics of Jimmy’s wagons in the yard, i know that they where not my prime focus but i think ive got one or two, your stepdad wasnt Len was it?

Cockney Pete3:

adr:
High Cockney Pete 3,
Only picture I have of Lovell’s Wharf, hope of some use!
Rega Chris

Great pic Chris thankyou, looks like the early 80s judging by the Volvo, and the shed in the background was demolished in 86 to make some space to set down long iron, girders, ree bar etc. The offices where built in the 20s, first floor was the transport office, drivers would report there for there loads, upstairs was the shipping rooms, Shaw Lovell where frieght forwarders, shipping agents, charterers amongst other things and at one time had an office in nearly every port in England. The tilt was probably loading out of the rear of the yard where the Seawheel part of the firm operated until that was sold off.

seawheel had a portacabin on preston docks in the early 60s, used to do some work for them when working for ken ditchfield. There containers where all dropped on the quayside ex ship and it cost them a fair bit for a relift.No twistlocks then ,bits of wood to clear the chock and rope through the corner holes, horrendous when you think about it.
cheers

my old f86 when i was on for wilsons transport.just scrolled through this lot and noticed that most of them not operating anymore !! :frowning: :frowning:

ardennes:

Cockney Pete3:

adr:
High Cockney Pete 3,
Rega Chris

Great pic Chris thankyou, looks like the early 80s judging by the Volvo, and the shed in the background was demolished in 86 to make some space to set down long iron, girders, ree bar etc. The offices where built in the 20s, first floor was the transport office, drivers would report there for there loads, upstairs was the shipping rooms, Shaw Lovell where frieght forwarders, shipping agents, charterers amongst other things and at one time had an office in nearly every port in England. The tilt was probably loading out of the rear of the yard where the Seawheel part of the firm operated until that was sold off.

seawheel had a portacabin on preston docks in the early 60s, used to do some work for them when working for ken ditchfield. There containers where all dropped on the quayside ex ship and it cost them a fair bit for a relift.No twistlocks then ,bits of wood to clear the chock and rope through the corner holes, horrendous when you think about it.
cheers

Seawheel had an office on Preston docks for many years running a service to Dublin using the ASN service
I moved from Liverpool office to Preston in 1968 Peter Francis was the manager - then John Scott from Felixstowe office and then I took over - the operation was closed after the 12 week dock strike that was the end of Preston Docks which at one point was the busiest container port in Europe - remember Ditchfields, Pickles from Chorley, Southworths from Rufford, we used to use Silver Roadways for the huge amount of cables drums coming from Eire for the overhead electrification - interesting times

Kenb:

ardennes:

Cockney Pete3:

adr:
High Cockney Pete 3,
Rega Chris

cheers

Seawheel had an office on Preston docks for many years running a service to Dublin using the ASN service
I moved from Liverpool office to Preston in 1968 Peter Francis was the manager - then John Scott from Felixstowe office and then I took over - the operation was closed after the 12 week dock strike that was the end of Preston Docks which at one point was the busiest container port in Europe - remember Ditchfields, Pickles from Chorley, Southworths from Rufford, we used to use Silver Roadways for the huge amount of cables drums coming from Eire for the overhead electrification - interesting times

Ah, Pickles of Chorley worked for them round that time, 24hr service, if you know what I mean. :unamused:

jack Jones of Dudley.

Photo courtesy of Brian Lees. Believed to be outside the back of Lovell’s Wharf.

Just when you think the post is dead…
Cracking pic, thanks for posting, the scania is actually parked on Pelton Road, opposite the main entrance and wharf office, in the background on the left is A shed the LME warehouse on the right is the junction if Enderby street where i lived.
I remember JA Jones loading there in my time it was P112/3s and G cabbed Renaults usually with flats and mid mounted hiabs.

N.M.P,

ee738b0f1ec49779a3ab03ffb0eb7e0a--south-london-iron.jpg

Nice pic to revive this thread. Skip loader squeezing through parked cars outside the Cutty Sark pub on the way into Anchor Iron Wharf, Robinson’s scrap yard. My neighbour drove the crane in there till it closed.

Cockney Pete3:
Nice pic to revive this thread. Skip loader squeezing through parked cars outside the Cutty Sark pub on the way into Anchor Iron Wharf, Robinson’s scrap yard. My neighbour drove the crane in there till it closed.

Just goes to show parked cars always been a PITA! Just noticed it looks like a classic Capri down the nearside of the Bedford?

If you click on the pic twice you can see the pipes in the bottom of the boat and one of the dockers standing there, what a horrible job it would be to sling those!

Cockney Pete3:
Ithought id fill out this a little. There where regular visitors, Bassett’s, John Raymond, Turners of Soham, A&H Davey, K Transport, Swains of Strood, Gills Tansport, Sheddick. Then loads of others D H Armitage, Silks, Clugston, Stiller, Phil Jenkins i could go on but im probably boring you all now…

Heres a Gill’s Transport DAF. :wink:

DEANB:

Cockney Pete3:
Ithought id fill out this a little. There where regular visitors, Bassett’s, John Raymond, Turners of Soham, A&H Davey, K Transport, Swains of Strood, Gills Tansport, Sheddick. Then loads of others D H Armitage, Silks, Clugston, Stiller, Phil Jenkins i could go on but im probably boring you all now…

Heres a Gill’s Transport DAF. :wink:

I assume that is Gill’s who are (were?) based at Four Ashes?

Pete.

NMP.