Lorries in lay-bys

eagerbeaver:

AndrewG:

eagerbeaver:

AndrewG:
Would imagine if you could hear her speak it would be with a mouthful of plums… :stuck_out_tongue:

They wouldn’t be mine Andrew. Mine are huge :wink:

Yeah yeah, you wish… :grimacing:

They are mate honestly. Trapped in the fridge door earlier :cry:

I just hope she’s taken her teeth out first :open_mouth:

A66 bursts my nuts when the smaller lay byes Where you can fit a couple of artics are convenintly taken up by one car parking right in the middle of the ■■■■ thing.

Reef:

Franglais:
Are laybys really suitable for overnight stops ? No.
We shouldnt be critisising our Patricia, she is right: laybys are good for a quick break, but not for an overnight rest. Dont blame her if there are not sufficient suitable parking areas for trucks. She is the messenger, she isnt saying we should really be in those big empty truck parks. She sees the problem AND offers a solution. If she stands for parliament shell get my vote! Can`t see many farmers supporting her though. :smiley:

^ +1

I hope more prim n’ proppa’s follow her lead and pick up the pen, nobody who’s anybody would ever listen to or care about us downtrodden lower working class vermin peasants, so let Mrs ‘silk slip and undies’ fight on our behalf.

We have another fine lady fighting our cause and I bet not many of you have even heard of her, Her name is Karen Roberts and even though she had no background in transport at all she stumbled across some drivers complaining on social media regarding toilet and security facilities at MSA’s for LGV drivers, so she’s picked up the gauntlet and doing what truck drivers apparently can’t, she is actually conversing with and making some headway with the MSA groups, in fact she has now devoted all her time and efforts to the cause, check her out on Twitter (search the name I gave or KarenRo57045350) or look for her Facebook page (search for roberts organised alliance for drivers) I won’t post any links as no doubt Rikki would come stomping on my head but it won’t take you long to find the right person.

If Mrs bouquet from Tunbridge wells, and Mr angry from croyden, start writing to the Times, and we get the guardian readers helping, facilities for us will get sorted.

Every campaign, that comes along like the above needs supporting, not harranging, or badmouthing,

Not sure its a good idea stopping layby lorry parking to be honest :smiling_imp:

eagerbeaver:

AndrewG:

eagerbeaver:

AndrewG:
Would imagine if you could hear her speak it would be with a mouthful of plums… :stuck_out_tongue:

They wouldn’t be mine Andrew. Mine are huge :wink:

Yeah yeah, you wish… :grimacing:

They are mate honestly. Trapped in the fridge door earlier :cry:

Beaver you dont put youre head in the fridge ffs.

That’s not nice Col :neutral_face: (but it’s reasonably funny to be fair :wink: )

I seem to remember laybys being signposted as “Do not stop - unless in an emergency”. That would mean a Trucker has to stop because it’s a legal requirement on daily rest/breaks etc.
What excuse does a Car or Brudder wit Caravan have then?

“My MOT has run out” (as of 1975) perhaps? :stuck_out_tongue: :unamused:

Parking in a layby…absolute last resort…unless it’s massive one, well set back from the road with a a choice of eating establishments/supermarkets close by…

Adonis.:
Personally I’d like to see cars banned from laybys, they’ve no need to use them and only take up space for trucks which legally have to take a break unlike the weary Patricia.

A.

So, a person pays road tax and legally allowed to park there and you want them banned … sorry what an idiotic comment . Trucks should be banned from parking on public roads at night the damage you skint flint drivers causes. I’m sorry, why on earth would a driver want to park in a stinking lay-bys all night tell the boss you want to park in secure parking

No wait not many drivers have the balls and are just yes men to the boss who goes home. And drives the big range rovers and plead poverty so drivers still think maxed out hours and minimum wage is a good thing.

DonutUK:
Parking in a layby…absolute last resort…unless it’s massive one, well set back from the road with a a choice of eating establishments/supermarkets close by…

Couldn’t agree more mate, I can count on one hand (and still have fingers left) how many times I’ve lay by.d it in last 10 yrs, and two of them was because they were adjacent to a pub.
Why settle for it ? But worse still Why first option? :open_mouth:
The job is crap enough as it is nowadays., …and don’t get me started on those clowns who park in those ones where you need to pull your mirrors in. :open_mouth:
Muppetry at it’s best.

If some member of the public is trying to point out the FACT that lay bys are unsuitable for overnight parking, good on her I say, so why take the ■■■■ out of this lady? It’s a rarity in it’s self some member of the public acknowledging our problems, so don’t knock it. :unamused:
I’d ban all lay by o/n parking, then something would HAVE to be done about the disgraceful way this problem is just ignored.

DonutUK:

Fully agree with this, I cannot understand anyone unless absolutely desperate to park up for a night in a lay-by unless there are facilities nearby. Has the job got so bad that this is now considered ok to do. I find that on a 45 it is bad in a lay-by let alone nighting it in one.

Juddian:
The lady does have a valid point whatever her motives.

Trouble is the cost of creating a simple lorry park with suitable access and surfacing would run to £millions, we’d have armies of highways and council hivis wearers doing their all expenses reports, then pubic consultations and the usual nimbys up in arms…for Christ’s sake in so posh our combined ■■■■■ don’t smell Oxfordshire they got rid of all the tea vans on the A34 and lorries banned from Kidlington services bloody decades ago, so what hope is there of a single suitable lorry park anywhere along that route.

Its not just suitable access roads once you’ve got past the perma shiny arsed hivis’s, it would have to be manned 24/7 or the bloody non members of the caravan club would move in and use it for their usual dubious deeds leaving it like the aftermath of an explosion costing £thousands to clean up when they eventually get booted off, electricity water sewage etc all having to be laid on and maintained, the cost to park would probably end up more than an MSA because it couldn’t pay for itself just from lorries, car drivers would need special facilities or they’d faint, then the disabled band wagon jumpers would want their needs provided for free, not forgetting bloody coaches of day trippers, or the bloody caravanners who need the space for three artics just to park one 16ft knackered Sprite in, then we’d need gender neutral baby changing and all the other rubbish that those who have never done a days work in their lives dream up to justify their existence.

Bloody hell there’s more to this parking lark than meets the eye.

What a bloody brilliant post & sums up exactly why local lorry parks will never make a comeback.

^^^ Rob.

I started that minor rant as a bit of tongue in cheek sarc at the spotlessly clean hivis borg, but gradually came to realise the realities and i don’t suppose i touched on a fraction of the hoops planning and h&s mobs that would want their cut and then once built the general public. many of whom need to be protected from themselves or they’ll sue :unamused:

You only have to look at a typical segregated layby, typified by the A34 in Oxon, layby near enough 1/4 mile long from start to finish, 3/4 of it being slip off/on road and room for 3 lorries if perfectly parked in the actual parking area, or two cars/vans if parked in normal method of abandonment.

The parking problem is just another symptom of a country already overcrowded, with an infrastructure at breaking point 20 years ago and a population growing (warning elephant in room, snowflakes close your eyes stick you pinkies in your ears and sing lalala) at 500,000 a year.

I blame the government…dont we all…they couldnt even guess how many walking poles would arrive in this country let alone how many trucks would follow from the new eastern bloc members invited to join by merkel and co who thought new members would fill their boots with the goods on offer from the west…that failed miserably, they never had the money to spend in the first place…but we trade with all of them, hence their transport companies flood europe as they deliver their exports…merely doing the job we all do…but for lower wages. I will be the last to have a go at any EE driver or company…but we never had this problem a few years ago prior to them joining, but since they have France, Belgium had enforced the no sleeping in the truck for a 45 rest…without big fines, blatant discrimination in my opinion, but a ruling that affects all on euro work, for what reason i have no idea…if forced to use a hotel…the truck still has to park somewhere?..next we have our very own problems since they came across the channel, services are choc a bloc…ad hoc with many from the same company, drivers cannot find space for a 45 min rest, let alone an overnight…and of course we have a government who wants to save money rather than spend it.
I agree with a few posters on here, especially ROB that laybyes shouldnt be used for an overnight, and like him i too like a pint so if i see or know a laybye wher i can park and have a drink/meal, then thats where i go.
I dont worry about the parking as i dont pay, its a principle for me, as i have better facilities abroad, and theyre free…plus the fact i run on foreign plates and the chances of paying if caught are absolute zero, as the office in bulgaria have a special filing system in place for such notices.
So to sum it all up, the government needs to look at these parking systems in place, and see that they are not adequate for the amount of trucks running in this country, and more need to be built…the security issue is another problem, but typical governments let us be self governed, and dont give a ■■■■ about fuel thefts or damage to vehicles from thieves hell bent on stealing or damaging our equipment, or even contamination from illegals, they have washed their hands because our bosses via the insurance can pay…thats not the answer is it ?

or even contamination from illegals, they have washed their hands because our bosses via the insurance can pay…thats not the answer is it ?
[/quote]
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
CONTAMINATION FROM ILLEGALS??

let a few up into the back of your trailer filled with apples,oranges,of just pick the fruit or veg of your choice.
they are in there for hours/days,and have to defecate and urinate somewhere inside the trailer on top of the aforementioned fruit/veg.
the driver/co owner isnt going to have the load marked as contaminated or rejected once the vermin are discovered and ejected,and once on the bay to tip,the entire load is transhipped to eventually end up on display in the supermarket shelf (unwashed) as it was clean before entering the trailer on uplift.
the next time you are eating your sun kissed organic fruit,veg,or whatever else comes across from calais,if it tastes extra salty,or has that organic whiff of dung,you may ponder a moment to ask yourself why?

When i worked for Solstor it was an almost daily occurance when the immigration squads were called…but not only fruit was contaminated but dairy products too…and not all from our own vehicles, but nonetheless it was contaminated and ended up as pig food…enjoy your bacon sandwich and pork chop.
My Stance was the government doesnt want to get involved to stop anything to protect trucks and drivers from anything that will cost money, that includes security in parking areas etc, but instead let it happen, and the trucks insurance company foot the bill.

To be fair one of the times they had been in my trailers, they had ■■■■■■ in bottles.
I saw them running across the park at Teesport, an armed copper got in the trailer half an hour later (after asking if I was going to get in first :open_mouth: :unamused: ) and came out carrying 2 containers of ■■■■.
He had a sense of humour, as he said as he jumped down "I’ve always said this job is taking the ■■■■’’ :laughing:

It will never change for the better it just gets worse
It’s the old saying does a bear ■■■■ in the woods yes so does a truck driver, you will always have people who spoil anything and everything for everyone else they are best known as tinkers and when you meet them most of them smell like the way they behave
The dirt birds give everyone a bad name

But dedicated lorry parks can be a bit tricky to get access to though :grimacing:

Hi All
My first post. I saw this today & thought it was so brilliantly cavalier to park on the pavement like this. The curtains were pulled so I guess driver having a well earned nap & good luck to him! I,m not sure I could relax enough to rest in that place myself. I think you drivers [& me once upon a time] do such a brilliant & difficult job that they should be revered & respected & a park such as this should be looked at as perfectly ok. [ Deffo not on lane 1 of M1 though!!].