No more layby parking they say

Done to death recently but my current mob have decreed an embargo on overnighting in any laybys from now on.According to the directive ‘customers don’t want their wares parked in laybys,and if you are seen so doing on the trackers,severe consequences will follow’.Not a big fan of them tbh but there are nice deep peaceful ones i use and generally enjoy a refreshing kip as a result but they are even forbidding it now with empty containers which is beyond evil.Fleet services s/b are hgv verbotten,Sutton Scotney are now charging,many A34 laybys are seemingly coned off.
This is some serious ■■■■ for me,i resent poneying up for the msa Kafkaesque experience and don’t see how i can realistically do my job the way i’ve sucessfully done so for many years with this latest garbage.
Were even forbidden to return to the yard at Fawley due to neighborhood complaints and all our good quality Englishmen,and a couple of good Polish lads have quit so wer’e essentially a zombie outfit now,top heavy with a continuous flux of RumoBulgo agency mercenaries as a consequence.
How bad do things have to get before connections are made at management level?

For starters,if your company have banned any use of a layby…then that has to be a good thing…because it means they will now foot the bill for parking in MSA and truckstops ( if they dont already ) for that the only other choice. You cannot be banned from returning to your yard, as its a bonafide yard specified on someones O licence and with neighbours approval when the application was made ( they have to lodge objections as to why not )…Many companies are going to be fined from now on if they park in laybys that cause inconvenience to neighbours, and i believe many laybys will soon have new signs showing No overnight parking and its £300 for ignoring it…that means that MSA`s and truckstops are going get full a lot quicker, making the job a lot more difficult, drivers will have to reduce their daily hours, inn order to plan more efficiently, and more bosses are going to have to fork out for parking…if they dont, they face having to pay very large fines each week, which may force them out of business, as they cannot increase rates to cover the extra cost, being as the margins are very tight already for some.

Was once in similar shoes.
We just told them we’d need to be parked up by 1800…to ensure a ■■■■■■■■■■■■.
Soon got brushed under the carpet :laughing:

Never been a fan of lay by parking, I personally avoid them like crabs,.and think they should all be illegal due to them being unfit for purpose…end of.
However, it’s ok these guys in offices (who know nothing about the job in real terms) banning parking in them, but only so if the authorities accept this and provide suitable alternatives,… but we all know that aint about to happen anytime soon.

So where are you supposed to park in this country with a diabolical overnight parking problem for trucks as it is, when you cut off approx 40% of parking which is done in lay bys.?
There is not enough room in MSAs for everybody as it is, even if they were a good place to park (which they are NOT)
Most truckstops are full as it is.
Ind ests are on the whole fine, but are iffy if you don’t get there early enough.

So, I would put the onus of resposibility on THEM, by getting in writing what you are supposed to do, in these situations, which will no doubt baffle these d/heads, who will come to realise it’s another modern management excercise putting their ‘‘Blue sky thinking’’ memos out without taking reality into consideration. :unamused:

Good points fellas.those laybys off the beaten track have served me very well over the years,usually convenenient to an adjacent tavern.I fear this new policy may well be the proverbial straw for this camels back.Containers aren’t exactly vulnerable,especially empty ones ffs.They and tbh honest the majority of Southampton container firms are going full-pelt it seems for the zombie,flip-flop hollowed out business model to these eyes at least.

Just about every layby in East Kent has had signs put up at each end in the last few weeks warning that the overnight HGV parking ban will be enforced from 30 October.

cav551:
Just about every layby in East Kent has had signs put up at each end in the last few weeks warning that the overnight HGV parking ban will be enforced from 30 October.

Same thing as before, where are you supposed to go?
They can ‘enforce’ wtf they like :unamused: , but where is the alternative parking for trucks just coming off the boat for instance, it’s bad enough for UK drivers who may have a modicum of knowledge of the area, but what about foreign drivers here for the first time. I know there aint a lot of love on here for EE drivers, but what about the Dutch, Belgian, Germans, here for the first few times.

The fact that these nimby ■■■■ s don’t give a crap is irrelavent, drivers NEED to park up…and by law! whether having ‘huge juggernauts’ :unamused: spoiling their view, offends Mr and Mrs Windsor Smythe or not. :smiling_imp:

If ever there was a situation that needs sorted in this ■■■■ hole of a country it’s the overnight parking problem.

Same old same old…‘‘If only we stuck together’’
Yeh, spit yer tea out laughing at that.

So what are you going to do lads? Fantastic opportunity to all pile into the services and jam them all up.

You have tacho laws to prevent the trucks from moving for at least 9 hrs, so start causing some grief. Another truck driver knocks on your cab door and asks you to move because you are in the way, you simply highlight why you are in the way in the first place and take it from there. Snap a key in the barrel or feign a breakdown. Flatten your battery or unfortunately run out of diesel.

Play them all at their own game and gridlock each services every night…

truckyboy:
… You cannot be banned from returning to your yard, as its a bonafide yard specified on someones O licence and with neighbours approval when the application was made ( they have to lodge objections as to why not )…

Hi truckyboy,

Whilst the second part of what you wrote is true, I’m afraid that the first part isn’t quite correct…

An operating centre may well have entry/exit time restrictions placed on it by the TC at the time of granting the ‘O’ licence.

This is often a compromise between the operator, the TC and the neighbours (after expressing objections) and is agreed to by all concerned. It’s sometimes a recipe for curtain twitchers and letter writers, but it at least allows a company to legally commence operations.

Other agreed environmental restrictions to placate neighbour objections can be: Vehicular entry and exit only in a forward gear (= no reversing in/out) no loading/working outside before xxAM/after xxPM, no sounding of horns before xxAM/after xxPM

One other thing to take into consideration with layby overnight bans, you know that nice little spot you have tucked away that hardly anyone knows about? Well where do you think the white transit van driving diesel fairies and serial curtain slashers are going to go when their EE and the “my Boss don’t pay for parking” UK roadside supply have been moved on from those said layby’s…

In other words it’s not just physical parking space that will be the problem but truck crime in those quiet no cctv coverage ind estates and other off the beaten track spots will become infested with the dirty piky [zb]ards, which will no doubt have a knock on effect of crime and vandalism of the businesses in those areas which will then in turn see more signs going up in Ind estates banning parking there too, which will then leave us with ONLY unsecured MSA’s and a handful of truckstops which are already usually full to capacity by 4pm anyway…

Time to start parking under the M25 bridges :unamused:

Or better still give everyone what they want, get trucks off the road, leave them all in their safe and secure yards, lets say, what - two weeks? that would soon see viable solutions put into place!

As an outsider working towards getting a driving job. I have to say im put off getting any job that requires a night out.

It just sounds like more trouble than its worth any which way you cut it.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

IronEddie:
As an outsider working towards getting a driving job. I have to say im put off getting any job that requires a night out.

Find a good company which pays for parking and its no big deal really. After a few years you’ll find you only get a decent nights sleep when you’re sleeping in the truck. :grimacing:

robroy:

cav551:

Same thing as before, where are you supposed to go?
They can ‘enforce’ wtf they like :unamused: , but where is the alternative parking for trucks just coming off the boat for instance, it’s bad enough for UK drivers who may have a modicum of knowledge of the area, but what about foreign drivers here for the first time. I know there aint a lot of love on here for EE drivers, but what about the Dutch, Belgian, Germans, here for the first few times.

The fact that these nimby [zb] s don’t give a crap is irrelavent, drivers NEED to park up…and by law! whether having ‘huge juggernauts’ :unamused: spoiling their view, offends Mr and Mrs Windsor Smythe or not. :smiling_imp:

If ever there was a situation that needs sorted in this [zb] hole of a country it’s the overnight parking problem.

Same old same old…‘‘If only we stuck together’’
Yeh, spit yer tea out laughing at that.

Two things spring to mind.

First the stance Kent Police are taking regarding lorries coming off the boat or out of the tunnel and then looking for somewhere to park up very soon after. " Don’t get on the boat in the first place if a full rest period is shortly going to be required. Plan your journey to take that rest period either on the continent or nearer to your destination."

Second. Just like everyone else who wants something, the haulage industry wants these facilities provided, but expects someone else - ie the taxpayer - to fund them. How about these companies putting their hands in their own pockets?

Don’t come back with any arguments based on ‘Road Tax’ because that is not what it is. Anyway a 28 tonne artic, ie much of the huge supermarket fleet vehicles, pays less than many cars.

eagerbeaver:
So what are you going to do lads? Fantastic opportunity to all pile into the services and jam them all up.

You have tacho laws to prevent the trucks from moving for at least 9 hrs, so start causing some grief. Another truck driver knocks on your cab door and asks you to move because you are in the way, you simply highlight why you are in the way in the first place and take it from there. Snap a key in the barrel or feign a breakdown. Flatten your battery or unfortunately run out of diesel.

Really Beaver?

Let’s ■■■■ off other truck drivers by blocking them in at MSA deliberately to make a point to the employers?

By all means make a stand or point but don’t inconvenience others by doing it.

Refuse to night out, bring loads back etc etc to make a stand to your company.

Why anyone wants to sleep 4-5 nights a week in a ■■■■■■ little tin can and never be at home is beyond me anyway.

IronEddie:

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

I’m lucky that the firm I’m with have accounts with everyone expect Welcome Break. You can find parking, you just have to be pro-active about it.

simcor:

eagerbeaver:

Really Beaver?

Let’s ■■■■ off other truck drivers by blocking them in at MSA deliberately to make a point to the employers?

Why anyone wants to sleep 4-5 nights a week in a [zb] little tin can and never be at home is beyond me anyway.

An interesting point of view. Truck stops get rammed full and creates some frustration amongst drivers who should understand the whole problem in itself is brought upon by the employers, and you think it’s beyond the pale to be involved in it.

And then in your next breath you mock fellow drivers (trampers)…

What a ■■■■!.jpg

eagerbeaver:

simcor:

eagerbeaver:

Really Beaver?

Why anyone wants to sleep 4-5 nights a week in a [zb] little tin can and never be at home is beyond me anyway.

An interesting point of view. Truck stops get rammed full and creates some frustration amongst drivers who should understand the whole problem in itself is brought upon by the employers, and you think it’s beyond the pale to be involved in it.

I think your being the ■■■■ here Beaver. Where have I mocked trampers in my post?

I said it is beyond me why drivers want to sleep in a ■■■■■■ tin can 4-5 days a week for very little extra money and be away from home so much. I’m not mocking anyone for doing so, I just don’t understand what someone gains by doing so as the reward for staying out is not worth the inconvenience of it.

And yes I have nighted out myself in the past. I never had a good night’s sleep in a truck and never felt refreshed the next day.

simcor:

eagerbeaver:

simcor:

eagerbeaver:

Really Beaver?

I think your being the ■■■■ here Beaver. Where have I mocked trampers in my post?

I said it is beyond me why drivers want to sleep in a [zb] tin can 4-5 days a week for very little extra money and be away from home so much. I’m not mocking anyone for doing so, I just don’t understand what someone gains by doing so as the reward for staying out is not worth the inconvenience of it.

And yes I have nighted out myself in the past. I never had a good night’s sleep in a truck and never felt refreshed the next day.

Funny is that,…cos I can’t see why anybody would want to be a dayman…a bit like joining the Army and saying… ‘‘Like the uniform and job, with all the excercises etc…buy don’t want to go on tour as I like my own bed every night’’ that’s how I see it anyway, nights out are synonimous with being a trucker I reckon.
Your obvious answer would be home life I would think, but that aint up to much is it doing a 13 hour day in 24, or worse a 15.
Say an hour to and from work,.leaves you 9 hours (or 7) to get showered, then your tea,.say 1 and a half hours, leaves you 7 and a half hours (or 5 and a half) to indulge in your ‘home life’ and get enough kip for a fresh start in the morning…not a great deal of homelife there.

I’ll stick to parking up after 12/half, having a shower, relaxed tea, and 8 or so hours decent kip in my ‘‘tin box’’ with all amenities and home comforts, and right handy for job in morning.
Each to his own mate,.everybody’s different.

robroy:

simcor:

eagerbeaver:

simcor:

eagerbeaver:

Really Beaver?

I said it is beyond me why drivers want to sleep in a [zb] tin can 4-5 days a week for very little extra money and be away from home so much. I’m not mocking anyone for doing so, I just don’t understand what someone gains by doing so as the reward for staying out is not worth the inconvenience of it.

Funny is that,…cos I can’t see why anybody would want to be a dayman…a bit like joining the Army and saying… ‘‘Like the uniform and job, with all the excercises etc…buy don’t want to go on tour as I like my own bed every night’’ that’s how I see it anyway, nights out are synonimous with being a trucker I reckon.
Your obvious answer would be home life I would think, but that aint up to much is it doing a 13 hour day in 24, or worse a 15.
Say an hour to and from work,.leaves you 9 hours (or 7) to get showered, then your tea,.say 1 and a half hours, leaves you 7 and a half hours (or 5 and a half) to indulge in your ‘home life’ and get enough kip for a fresh start in the morning…not a great deal of homelife there.

I’ll stick to parking up after 12/half, having a shower, relaxed tea, and 8 or so hours decent kip in my ‘‘tin box’’ with all amenities and home comforts, and right handy for job in morning.
Each to his own mate,.everybody’s different.

As I say it’s my own opinion on the subject. And myself I get a decent wage for a 50 hour contract. I do mainly 10 hours a night with occasional nights where I may go up to 12-13 hours but certainly no more than generally.

I refuse to have 9 hours off and insist on a minimum 11 hours off before I start the next shift.

I tell them if a run is not doable before I even go out the door and that something will likely be coming back and bring it back.

I would night out if required when unforseen circumstances were involved. Which is where I think nighting out belongs.

+1.Spot on that post Robroy

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk