Long trips in a truck vs. car

Anyone else feel like doing long trips (as a driver) in a truck is actually more comfortable than in a car? I used to do 600-650km per shift and barely felt tired (except towards the end of the week) split in 2, maybe 3 parts. Nowadays I do 300-450km/day in 2 parts and I feel 0 tiredness at the end of my shift. In my car my ■■■ hurts, my back, my legs start to hurt too even after just 2 hours and after a break I’ll feel even worse after the next 1 hour. Are trucks innately more comfortable for travel or am I driving ■■■■ cars?

Reckon the air in lorry seàts makes for a comfortable ride.

Hardly feel any bumps etc.

Where in a car your sitting on a bit of cushion bolted to a chassis.

I’ve often thought this. The way I’ve said it before is if I’m sprung a load to say Southampton which is 4.5 hours away I’ll just get it loaded and set off without a care in the world. If I had to drive my car there I’d be think and sort of planning it in my head the day before and thinking about how far it is as I set off.
Weird [emoji848]

Even in a DAF the air seat makes a difference, but is a combo of seat and general suspension. I find empty trailers on DAFs are much worse than fully loaded for long runs.

For cars in my experience…

• Vauxhalls are awful for sitting long journeys.
  • Kia Ceed isn’t great but better than Vauxhall.
  • Fords vary a lot and even though the model.
  • Citroen’s are usually quite good.
  • Citroen C5 is amazingly comfy.

It could even be the better position in a truck that makes some difference. You get more view (sortof) so aren’t straining to see mirrors etc like in a car.

Yes. Long distance in a truck is better than in a car in my opinion.

It also helps that there’s more to see. My missus loves coming out with me , as she says you get a totally different perspective in the passenger seat of a lorry to that in a car. Better still when like me most of your mileage is in the countryside.

Would rather travel distance in my truck rather than car any day,
Basically if I’m traveling in my truck Iv got a mini version of my house so I don’t care.
If I get stuck in traffic I can make a brew or get a cold drink out of the fridge,if I’m tired I pull over and lay on bed for a bit.
I go to Devon/Cornwall every year with the wife and kids and it’s the worst drive of the year,tell me I’m going that way in the truck I’d love it

trevHCS:

• Vauxhalls are awful for sitting long journeys.
  • Kia Ceed isn’t great but better than Vauxhall.
  • Fords vary a lot and even though the model.
  • Citroen’s are usually quite good.

It could even be the better position in a truck that makes some difference. You get more view (sortof) so aren’t straining to see mirrors etc like in a car.

Whatever you may think of the designs and engineering I’ve usually found French cars pretty comfortable for long distance travel.

trevHCS:

I think this is it, for me at least - but not the views, the actual seating position. In a truck I’m sitting upright so the spine is in a (relatively) natural position where as in a car my backrest is usually at 45 degrees or more (I’m 6’4") so I’m always half-lying down and tilting my head forward because the headrest is way too low to support my head/neck although that wouldn’t make much of a difference I suppose.

Sitting in a semi-prone position, imitating an F1 driver may do lots for C of G and wind resistance etc due to lower roof, (plus may impress those looking at you) but a more upright position is probably more comfortable, long term.
Same with “sports suspension”, may be good for squeezing a few minutes off a trip, but comfort or driver fatigue after 4 hours plus? Nah.

I think the difference in speed is a big thing also.

3 hours in mainly lane one at 56 (ish) and 3 hours across all the lanes at 70 (ish) requires more mental energy.

Personally I don’t find much difference between the two fatigue wise, however a truck is set up much better comfort wise for long distance - again it probably depends on what your driving both Truck and Car.

ETS:
Anyone else feel like doing long trips (as a driver) in a truck is actually more comfortable than in a car? I used to do 600-650km per shift and barely felt tired (except towards the end of the week) split in 2, maybe 3 parts. Nowadays I do 300-450km/day in 2 parts and I feel 0 tiredness at the end of my shift. In my car my ■■■ hurts, my back, my legs start to hurt too even after just 2 hours and after a break I’ll feel even worse after the next 1 hour. Are trucks innately more comfortable for travel or am I driving [zb] cars?

You obviously don’t drive an Actros or old Axor :smiley:

Having done many long trips by truck car and motorbike but I prefer the latter although it is the most uncomfortable it is certainly the most exhilarating. Several Swiss mountain passes in one day certainly keeps you mind focused on the road rather than you aching rear end etc.

Regarding trucks and cars I think it depends on the quality of the vehicle. eg 400 miles in a 60’s or 70’s truck is a little different to 400 miles in a modern truck.
Same as 400 miles in a basic cost car is a little different to a sumptuous luxury car.

I used to enjoy long distance in my younger days but now I am glad these days are over. Surprisingly enough I can’t be doing with all the moronic drivers that are around. :laughing:

trevHCS:

We had a Citroen C5 from new, probably the quietest, most soft & comfy car I have ever had the pleasure to drive. I picked a friend from the USA up at Heathrow airport one night, he was convinced he was in a top of the range Merc or BMW on the way home. Couldnt believe it was French and diesel!

Def aggree on this , trip to the south of spain in a car you arrive like the walking dead, in a truck you arrive normal , but as yorkshire terrier said maybe its the fact your in a mini home rather then a little tin can , for me all the space around you in a sleeper cab helps too been a little claustrophobic

I used to think nothing of driving all over Europe, in a truck I now think nothing of driving 400 miles down to Cornwall every week, …as for doing either in a ca, fills me with dread.
I hardly even drive at weekends, the wife does it all, I really can’t be arsed.
Having a bunk at hand in the truck for when you get tired maybe has summet to do with it.

spike78:

ETS:
Anyone else feel like doing long trips (as a driver) in a truck is actually more comfortable than in a car? I used to do 600-650km per shift and barely felt tired (except towards the end of the week) split in 2, maybe 3 parts. Nowadays I do 300-450km/day in 2 parts and I feel 0 tiredness at the end of my shift. In my car my ass hurts, my back, my legs start to hurt too even after just 2 hours and after a break I’ll feel even worse after the next 1 hour. Are trucks innately more comfortable for travel or am I driving [zb] cars?

yes my Actros is similar ride comfort to my Triumph Herald :frowning:

Twoninety88:

trevHCS:

We had a Citroen C5 from new, probably the quietest, most soft & comfy car I have ever had the pleasure to drive. I picked a friend from the USA up at Heathrow airport one night, he was convinced he was in a top of the range Merc or BMW on the way home. Couldnt believe it was French and diesel!

my everyday car is an old Xsara diesel saloon…it’s very comfortable :slight_smile:

carryfast-yeti:

spike78:

yes my Actros is similar ride comfort to my Triumph Herald :frowning:

You can add the old DAF 2500 seats let alone the Merc 2534 to that.
As for the Herald trade it for a Vitesse Mk2 better seats in those and better all round.Especially with a 2.5 engine upgrade. :wink:

But yes in most cases I found trucks to be as comfortable as a decent car.But preferred Bostrom seats to Isringhausen truck seats.

I’d hate to try and do a 15 hour in my car…

11hrs is the most I’ve ever done in a car - and I had to pull up in a MSA for a 90minute kip doing THAT.