Long-haul Cab Packs

Are there any of these versions on the show circuit? It would be fantastic to see any of them.

tiptop495:

robert1952:
And what about Scania? Didn’t the series 1 units have a long-haul pack on offer? These, if instance… Robert

Hey Robert, Scania’s were made for real drivers and not Burgundies (Bon Vivants) :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
I put out the right seat on some of mine, and believe me the old small bonneted cab
of the Scania (Vabis) 76/110/111 did roomy in that time,( but with an extremely small bank. :frowning: )
The F88 was he best to put ou the seat you were sitting on the right height, other had
the bottem bank to low.
Eric,

I’ve eaten all that holey Gruyere-type cheese you put on another thread for me. Got any Brie? :laughing: Robert

Dirty Dan:
Hi its me again :smiley: well i found a litle bit on the Volvo F10 F12 F16 thread on page 2! And that was in english :smiley:

Danne

You’re right Dan, and here they are: the Gobstopper in all its glory! :smiley: Robert

Great topic for a new thread Robert.
I was lucky enough to have driven two lorries fitted with the kitchen pack.
I never did the Middle East regrettably, just euro work for 20 plus years.
These have both been put on Trucknet before, so apologies for that.
The first I drove was this ex BRS Overland LNU 133P.

The second was this Volvo C789 BPO owned by Davies of Southampton that I drove from new.

Evening all, well Im well and truly “cream crackered”…to put it very mildly…started this morning at 0300, and just come back for a shower, food, and copious Bollinger…I hope!

The Maize is a record…the Spuds…what can one say? another record that your lucky wives and partners will be feeding to you conoiosseurs for many a day…(.if they shop at a certain “value packed” supermarket )…and all, …except the prices we are getting…is “rosy”!

Then half out of the shower, I find this on the computer…my big hang up…the lack of, and inadequate provision of, real living appointment for the long haul driver in his vehicle …the attempts, the offerings, and the total lack of design , and realisation by “engineers” , of the requirements of a person living in a lorry…, their “offerings”…showed their true non realisation of the requirements of the end user.

Personally, in my days of driving the sleeper cab was not available in the UK…But in Europe, …universal…how my tongue hung out! But initially I was happy with a tent, and Primus stove! Then I discovered good “commercial” Hotels, and never looked back…but I was only in mainland Europe…and it was a long time ago!!!

When anyone mentions “cab packs”, the immediate thought is of the Middle East…in its “heyday”…sadly missed by Pacific Intermountain Express.Whose fleet of DAFs congregated in “Happy”, (John Yardleys . Kidderminster based Chaddersley Commercials yard), for disposal. And very nice they were too…did any of you fellows end up with one?

Afgan International…did DAF ever get paid? My friends at Tpts Chapuis said “only for a few”!

My colleagues at Saviem really pushed the boat out to try to ensure a “proper” service for its Middle Eastern clients. Roberts scans of the “Orient Express” brochure, tells only a small part. The back up was well conceived, and researched, (and also included “Trans Sahara” support for VIT, and others running to Nigeria, and West Africa). The net result was to dent severly Berliets penetration in these areas, and (as I became painfully aware), prompted the Lamberet/Berliet, Le Centaure concept…but she did not have the infrastructure that supported the Orient Express…but in fairness times had moved on by then.

The Orient Express was shown at Kelvin Hall, and a lot of publicity with some “scraggy long legged Scottish model”, a Champagne Bottle, (Verve Clicquot), and a very agreeable chap, (Pat Fowles), from Nickersons at Scunthorpe, our then UK agents. But the interior of that cab was workable, and neat, and comfortable.

Brother did the Orient Express concept cost some big Dollars…but it was workable, arguably better than the offerings of DAF, and Mercedes, and somewhere I have the statistics of the actual 74/77 performance… It got trucks reliably up and down that route, (and beyond), without any problem. Not just a “cab pack”, but a concept…that is why it worked!

And as for the Kenworth “Trans Orient”, was it the 77 Frankfurt Show, when all the viewers were laughing at the lack of finish on the components, and in particular the cab…Kenworth claimed a 1.5 million Killometer life…the Europeans could not see it…Perhaps Cardiff Transport should have purchased some rather than MANs…

Im so knackered now, that I could never have mastered that DAF arrangement…Im of too the kitchen, Salmon en Croute, I have just been told, plus a chilled Bollinger…and if I stay…I shall be “en croute”…

Robert , lay of these temptations…

Cheerio for now…

robert1952:
DAF had its ‘Supercontinental’ version of the 2800 DKS. Robert :slight_smile:

43210[/quote

Robert,

I notice that some of the Marathons had split screens,strange why only some,I can imagine that having a split would enable a re screen in ME an easier chore?

David

5thwheel:

robert1952:

[/quote

Robert,

I notice that some of the Marathons had split screens,strange why only some,I can imagine that having a split would enable a re screen in ME an easier chore?

David

+1 noticed that too like these two

SN027-1.jpg

Saviem:
Evening all, well Im well and truly “cream crackered”…to put it very mildly…started this morning at 0300, and just come back for a shower, food, and copious Bollinger…I hope!

The Maize is a record…the Spuds…what can one say? another record that your lucky wives and partners will be feeding to you conoiosseurs for many a day…(.if they shop at a certain “value packed” supermarket )…and all, …except the prices we are getting…is “rosy”!

Then half out of the shower, I find this on the computer…my big hang up…the lack of, and inadequate provision of, real living appointment for the long haul driver in his vehicle …the attempts, the offerings, and the total lack of design , and realisation by “engineers” , of the requirements of a person living in a lorry…, their “offerings”…showed their true non realisation of the requirements of the end user.

Personally, in my days of driving the sleeper cab was not available in the UK…But in Europe, …universal…how my tongue hung out! But initially I was happy with a tent, and Primus stove! Then I discovered good “commercial” Hotels, and never looked back…but I was only in mainland Europe…and it was a long time ago!!!

When anyone mentions “cab packs”, the immediate thought is of the Middle East…in its “heyday”…sadly missed by Pacific Intermountain Express.Whose fleet of DAFs congregated in “Happy”, (John Yardleys . Kidderminster based Chaddersley Commercials yard), for disposal. And very nice they were too…did any of you fellows end up with one?

Afgan International…did DAF ever get paid? My friends at Tpts Chapuis said “only for a few”!

My colleagues at Saviem really pushed the boat out to try to ensure a “proper” service for its Middle Eastern clients. Roberts scans of the “Orient Express” brochure, tells only a small part. The back up was well conceived, and researched, (and also included “Trans Sahara” support for VIT, and others running to Nigeria, and West Africa). The net result was to dent severly Berliets penetration in these areas, and (as I became painfully aware), prompted the Lamberet/Berliet, Le Centaure concept…but she did not have the infrastructure that supported the Orient Express…but in fairness times had moved on by then.

The Orient Express was shown at Kelvin Hall, and a lot of publicity with some “scraggy long legged Scottish model”, a Champagne Bottle, (Verve Clicquot), and a very agreeable chap, (Pat Fowles), from Nickersons at Scunthorpe, our then UK agents. But the interior of that cab was workable, and neat, and comfortable.

Brother did the Orient Express concept cost some big Dollars…but it was workable, arguably better than the offerings of DAF, and Mercedes, and somewhere I have the statistics of the actual 74/77 performance… It got trucks reliably up and down that route, (and beyond), without any problem. Not just a “cab pack”, but a concept…that is why it worked!

And as for the Kenworth “Trans Orient”, was it the 77 Frankfurt Show, when all the viewers were laughing at the lack of finish on the components, and in particular the cab…Kenworth claimed a 1.5 million Killometer life…the Europeans could not see it…Perhaps Cardiff Transport should have purchased some rather than MANs…

Im so knackered now, that I could never have mastered that DAF arrangement…Im of too the kitchen, Salmon en Croute, I have just been told, plus a chilled Bollinger…and if I stay…I shall be “en croute”…

Robert , lay of these temptations…

Cheerio for now…

Hello Saviem! I’m glad you noticed my inclusion of the ‘Trans Orient’. What struck me most was that this was not just a pack: it was package. It not only entailed a well-thought-out long-haul cab (for the time), but it also included a network of garages - a proper back-up scheme. It was almost the complete antithesis of what ERF was offering (or failing to offer) during the same period. It deserved to do well. You mentioned Charpuis: they ran Saviems into Algeria on a regular basis and I daresay they included the Trans Orient package! Au revoir. Robert :smiley:

1875940601_1.jpg

CM’s report on the ME cabs at the 1975 Scottish Show:

5thwheel:

robert1952:

[/quote

Robert,

David

I haven’t got to the bottom of that mystery yet. If it was to enhance the appearance of an already ungainly, elongated ‘Ergo’ cab, if failed. If it was to reduce the cost of left / right screen replacement abroard… Well, who knows? :question: The Marathon wasn’t exactly successful, but I would still have loved to have tried one! Robert :slight_smile:

[zb]
anorak:
CM’s report on the ME cabs at the 1975 Scottish Show:

Well discovered Anorak! The article gives a fascinating insight into whence manufacturers were ‘coming’ in their pursuit of the Middle-East special in those days. And what names! A new one to add to the list from that article is Magirus-Deutz’s ‘Super Pullman’! To go with Supercontinental, Transcontinental, Orient-Express, Long-Haul, Trans-Orient… Marvellous stuff! Robert :smiley:

What about the white road commander was there not a middle east spec version of them

Hi, some interesting points here.

The Scania 140 I drove for Pete Robbins had a conversion. Can’t remember who did it. The passenger seat swivelled round. The bottom bunk folded up and there was a small basin and a cooker. Sorry, as usual, no photos. Who knew we’d be talking about these things thirty odd years later.

I went to Baghdad with Paul Kerr in '76. I drove a Daf with the large cab, but small engine & zf gearbox with splitter for Lawrence ■■? From Wakefield, one of the NODAG directors. Paul had his day cab 110, which I later bought from him to do internals in Saudi. Picture 11 on this page
middleeasttruckingstories.co.uk/gallery/

When we turned the corner down the hill into Cizre, about 50 young men were playing football on the flat ground to the left of the main road. As soon as they saw our trucks, they all stopped playing and ran towards us, picking up stones. I nearly ■■■■ myself! I ducked as low as I could and showers of stones hit all parts of the truck. They missed the glass on my truck, but broke Paul’s screen. We obviously kept going as fast as we could. Very frightening!

In Istanbul on the way back, the Turks did a ‘repair’ on Paul’s screen. They put 2 flat sheets of ordinary flat glass with a strip down the middle -similar to the Marathons. It made the 110 look like a Scammell Crusader!

I was worried for him - this was not safety glass - if anything else happened the consequences would be horrible, but Paul was understandably fed up of having no windscreen, and we still had to cross Europe.

It got him home ok.

I later bought the Saviem in the same picture. This had a 240 engine and again a zf splitter box. I can say that Saviems weren’t suitable for Saudi in summer. You couldn’t get it near top gear without the temperature gauge heading for boiling. If I remember correctly high 4th was about the best you could manage. Apart from the pathetic handbrake, most parts were MAN and there was a garage in Dammam, so spares weren’t a problem.

Thanks for those insights John. Your Turkish tale has reminded me that somewhere I read that the Marathon split screen was a Turk-spec arrangement, but I can’t remember which thread it was on!

Irish-lorries, I’ve searched through all the scans of White Road-Commander brochures and info but I can find no reference to ‘specials’. Cheers, Robert :slight_smile:

Can’t remember were I heard that Robert couldn’t find anything about them too

Was the Berliet ( the one with the shower ) a long haul cab package I am sure that Saviem will be able to clarify this as I seem to recall it came with everything except the girl having a shower :confused:
cheers Johnnie :wink:

I think you should expand this and include kitchen trailer boxes… I used to have a massive one each side on my Cardi Tilt that I pulled for Trans Mondo, we also had similar ones on the Smitz Fridges. Every thing including the kitchen sink…

The one I had in my F12 Globbie was a bit awkward, and didn’t make much scenes… then I saw the same one in a left hand drive version and… hay presto… fantastic…

I cooked a curry in the cab one night… when I sold the truck 2 years later the first thing that the new owner asked was did I have a curry in it last night■■?

Jeff…

Jelliot:
I think you should expand this and include kitchen trailer boxes… I used to have a massive one each side on my Cardi Tilt that I pulled for Trans Mondo, we also had similar ones on the Smitz Fridges. Every thing including the kitchen sink…

The one I had in my F12 Globbie was a bit awkward, and didn’t make much scenes… then I saw the same one in a left hand drive version and… hay presto… fantastic…

I cooked a curry in the cab one night… when I sold the truck 2 years later the first thing that the new owner asked was did I have a curry in it last night■■?

Jeff…

Not a bad idea Jeff! I was admiring Karl Skilton’s Astran trailer box at Gaydon the other week: it made mine look very basic! And the Syrians! They had very elaborate affairs, complete with shiny silver doors to keep the sun at bay. Robert :slight_smile:

Here’s a pic of a Syrian one I took in Saudi:

And here’s a sidewise pic of mine, again in Saudi:

Great thread, here’s one of mine to my own spec!

image by harryvr6, on Flickr

83 globie, dutch spec! Couldn’t find the actual interior shot I was after of the real thing so decided to add this to mine.

Some good articles in this thread, which was the best long haul cab then? Of an entirely different era this one: I was following a rather neat black magnum down the m602 this afternoon, struck me that they are starting to look ‘right’ in my eyes now. Ahead of their time when new,striking prescence on the road, nowadays they look perfectly ‘aged’ still modern classic yet somehow they look futuristicly ancient! Think it was the colour that helped this one, un liveried plain black pulling a tri axle fridge.

Got me thinking, how did they fare on the Middle East run? Like driving a glass palace in the sun!?

Cheers, harryvr6

harryvr6:
Great thread, here’s one of mine to my own spec!

image by harryvr6, on Flickr

83 globie, dutch spec! Couldn’t find the actual interior shot I was after of the real thing so decided to add this to mine.

Some good articles in this thread, which was the best long haul cab then? Of an entirely different era this one: I was following a rather neat black magnum down the m602 this afternoon, struck me that they are starting to look ‘right’ in my eyes now. Ahead of their time when new,striking prescence on the road, nowadays they look perfectly ‘aged’ still modern classic yet somehow they look futuristicly ancient! Think it was the colour that helped this one, un liveried plain black pulling a tri axle fridge.

Got me thinking, how did they fare on the Middle East run? Like driving a glass palace in the sun!?

Cheers, harryvr6

I did Morocco with a mark 1 Magnum and it was no problem at all. Robert