Load position

ezydriver:

Reef:
you are the one who is responsible and held accountable for the load and its safe securing no one else.

I’m pretty sure the vendor does bare some legal responsibility.

Not to load security No. The buck stops with you, at the end of the day WHY did you take it out if it was insecure?

Reef:

sammym:

Reef:

sammym:
I leave this sort of thing to the forklift driver.

And I’m sure the spotty teenaged Ed Sheeran fan would be crying his eyes out with remorse and reaching for his wallet to compensate you if/when you got pulled by DVSA and got fined, and god help you if you had an accident or load loss out on the road, yeah blame the forkie, sure the DVSA, Police or TC would lap up that excuse… :unamused:

Don’t forget that you are the one who is responsible and held accountable for the load and its safe securing no one else.

In the real world - when you turn up and the trailer is loaded do you really start checking the weight of each pallet? And then demanding that it’s redistributed etc… If it was clearly wrong I wouldn’t take it out. But I’m not losing sleep over small things.

I don’t want to be disrespectful - but I find in the real world things don’t work like this. Maybe trunking with a full load. But when you have 6 drops and they need to come off in an order the weight goes where the order needs to be rather than where it would be most perfect. I could turn up at each drop and have the forklift drivers reposition everything - but we all know I’d be told to jog on.

If I’m not happy with it I WILL tell them to shift it about or it doesn’t move, but then I’m not afraid to stand up for myself, I’m sorry that you do not feel confident enough to stand up for yourself, maybe that’ll come with a few more years and experience under your belt.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Can I change my previous answer slightly please?
If the forkies have put 32 plts on the bed, then another 2 plts should go on the bed shouldnt they? (Assuming 13.6m trailer and goods arent over stacked on the pallets.)
So, it is only 6 plts to go on top, and that should be within axle weight limits, if loaded on the head board.

But… I`d still load them in the middle of the bed, to keep a better balanced load.
The weight bias to the front may be legal, but it is not sensible.

Franglais:
So, it is only 6 plts to go on top, and that should be within axle weight limits, if loaded on the head board.

But… I`d still load them in the middle of the bed, to keep a better balanced load.

Sounds to me like the instructor has defeated his own question with the pre load scenario.If he wants it all loaded to the max legal pin weight possible from the headboard back,to prioritise load security over needless weight distribution,which seems logical,then by definition the 32 pallets would have already been loaded on the trailer to the max possible from the headboard back.Why would they be spread all along the load bed and then go back to the start to stack more at the front. :confused:

Franglais:
If the forkies have put 32 plts on the bed, then another 2 plts should go on the bed shouldnt they? (Assuming 13.6m trailer and goods arent over stacked on the pallets.)

Assuming that every pallet was – exactly – the size of the pallet and had no over-hang, then yes… I would agree.

Having said that, I’m simply passing on the question as we were given it!

:smiley: :smiley:

Franglais:

I doubt if you would ever get 17 pallets @.8m along each side of a curtain and still get the doors closed, no matter how neat they were, but I’m sure someone’s done it!!
As far as where to put the other eight, well, it’s hard to know. If it was possible to load a single row down the middle on top, then I think that starting at the headboard would be ok. As Euros are the work of Satan’s imps, I would be happier with them like that. Otherwise, I would start on top of the fifth pallet back from the front and finish on top of the eighth.
I find it is more difficult to overload a three axle unit than it is to overload trailer axles. As someone else said, strap it within an inch of its life and “Gang Warily”

Franglais:

I doubt if you would ever get 17 pallets @.8m along each side of a curtain and still get the doors closed, no matter how neat they were, but I’m sure someone’s done it!!
As far as where to put the other eight, well, it’s hard to know. If it was possible to load a single row down the middle on top, then I think that starting at the headboard would be ok. As Euros are the work of Satan’s imps, I would be happier with them like that. Otherwise, I would start on top of the fifth pallet back from the front and finish on top of the eighth.
I find it is more difficult to overload a three axle unit than it is to overload trailer axles. As someone else said, strap it within an inch of its life and “Gang Warily”

in theory it sounds ok against the headboard.
in theory,a bee cant fly.
in reality common sense would start at the middle or front axle and work forward.
in reality,the instructors a prick. :slight_smile:

We used to have this sort of thing happen for real regularly back in the days of 32 ton artics and 40 ft flat trailers.

Sometimes with really heavy pallets you’d only take up 2/3rds of the deck bed, if you started at the headboard the tractor would be grossly overloaded, sitting right down on its springs and just asking for a pull, so you used some common sense and started about a 2 pallet gap back which left about 1 pallet gap at the arse end for sensible weight spread, then you’d stand a couple of pallets up at the front of the load to act as temporary headboard and rope the hell out of the front end, if you had half a dozen strong pallets you could build a sort of reinforced wall for the forky to start at, you’d simply sheet over the top right up to the headboard anyway so on the road no bugger would be any the wiser.
Then you drove sensibly, just like lads carrying oiled or tubed steel always have, cos the headboard was usually only about 1/3rd the height of an average load anyway.

What a prize pillock, i’m the instructor so i’m right :unamused:

Juddian:
What a prize pillock, i’m the instructor so i’m right

:smiley: :smiley:

Went in a Huddersfield based haulier earlier this year, loading their own trailer for next day. 24x1ton bags of potash along trailer floor, then two more on the front bags against headboard. Definitely overweight on front axle imo having used a axle weigher and messed with IBC containers of roughly 1.6t.

So load them to the headboard because it`s safer in case of an accident or load them in middle for a more distributed, balanced load so a lower chance of an accident. What was the instructor question again? :smiley:

At 700kg each if you’ve already got however many in front of the legs and then you go and put another 7 right at the front, that’s nearly 5 tons on top of what’s already there. If it was me loading it I’d be too concerned that I’d be overloading the tractors axle doing it like that and would definitely put them back over the side bars and trailer wheels, and just make sure they are strapped.

Remember Euro go 3 across.

biggriffin:

Not if you’re putting 16 along each side of the trailer…

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Roymondo:

biggriffin:

And why would you do that, look a right Muppet when you unload at German supermarket, pallets all wrong way.

biggriffin:
And why would you do that, look a right Muppet when you unload at German supermarket, pallets all wrong way.

Our cold store loads euro pallets the “wrong way” as they claim not to have a T20 capable of loading them longways. It is indeed a right PITA unloading at everyone’s favourite RDC especially when space is at a premium.

biggriffin:

Roymondo:

biggriffin:

Because, in the scenario given it is a curtainside trailer and the forkies have loaded them that way…?

DickyNick:
At 700kg each if you’ve already got however many in front of the legs and then you go and put another 7 right at the front, that’s nearly 5 tons on top of what’s already there. If it was me loading it I’d be too concerned that I’d be overloading the tractors axle doing it like that and would definitely put them back over the side bars and trailer wheels, and just make sure they are strapped.

I’d doubt that we’re talking about 8 extra pallets all ending up placed ‘in front of the legs’ in the scenario given I’d guess they’ll probably spread back a bit further than that from the front two rows.Also bearing in mind that it’s obviously a 3 axle unit.If it was a 4 x 2 unit or a 6 wheeler rigid then that might be different although,with the exception of paper reels which certainly were only stacked towards the trailer axles,I’ve never known heavy stuff or heavy pallets being stacked anywhere along the deck anyway in those cases.Usually only on the floor from the headboard and then topped with lighter stuff.

Roymondo:

biggriffin:

Roymondo:

biggriffin:

Because, in the scenario given it is a curtainside trailer and the forkies have loaded them that way…?

The whole scenario as made up by the instructor sounds like a zb up.IE why the big thing about Euro pallets not just standard.While if he’s trying to make the point about loading from the headboard then RobK’s statement would have been enough and that’s how the 32 pallets already there would obviously have been loaded thereby maxing out the unit’s axle weights and gross to start with. :confused: