Mod 4 loading anomoly

I have questioned the load security questions since the introduction of initial driver cpc. One of the questions asks the driver to show whereabouts on the vehicle he/she would position a part load of sheet steel. The expected answer is in the region of the rear axle/s leading forward.

Now VOSA have published information on what they are expecting. The link is movingon.blog.gov.uk/2013/10/21 … -security/

Looks like we’re training folks to pick up a prohibition. I will take this up with DSA tomorrow but wondered what thoughts others had.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Keep us posted what DSA say Pete

Paul :smiley:

I spoke to someone local in VOSA regarding this a few months back. The answer I received was if it isn’t possible to load up to the headboard then the question would be what other measures have been taken to ensure the load is fully secured. It is all still new to everyone - good luck with DSA Pete, love to be a fly on the wall, will you be speaking to Technical Standards?

John

speaking to Technical Standards?

That will be a starting point. Will update when I’ve got an answer. Should have done that before I posted but was interested in any comments.

Having spoken to DSA this morning, they are still going along with what John from Chevron said. In other words, the steel should be up to the headboard. But if this causes a weight distribution issue, then it should be moved back and then chocked in such as manner as to prevent it’s forward motion.

Not sure what VOSA would say. But I think it would be along the lines of “make sure the vehicle is suitable for the load being carried”. In fairness to DSA, they don’t state the weight, size or number of the steel sheets. So it could be perfectly viable to load to the headboard.

Further to another phone call with DSA, they are happy with the vehicle being loaded up to the headboard provided that the vehicle wouldn’t be overloaded. Given that the weight and size of the steel isn’t stated, it’s not that hard.

Examiners are being updated by DSA.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Personally I believe the demonstration trolley should not be used. It nowhere near comes to being realistic to securing a load.

The day will come when a newbie starts a job and is asked by the manager if he has ever used chains and tensioner he says yes because of the module 4 and not wanting to look incompetent. Consequences can be fatal if load not secured properly.

However I do get candidate to secure the IBC’s on my truck with ratchet straps, this is realistic to the real world.

Paul :smiley: