Lincoln – what's the catch?

I’m moving back from Cancun, Mexico, after a long time away…I had visions of quaint old England, rolling fields, country pubs, and traditional “Britishness”…When I left England in 1998 the only person in Rugby not speaking English was the French exchange student…my how things have changed :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

worldometers.info/world-popu … y-country/

Looked at this today, just wanted to make my mind up on a few things.

UK France and Italy getting shafted by Europe. What do the migrants find wrong with Germany, easier to get to with prospering economy. Me suspects he European playing field is far from level, the eastren europeans are driving through Germany without stopping for a reason … unless they are made to drive around it…

Also had a look at the national debt comparisons of all countries won’t share that as its bad enough im having trouble sleeping … we are all doomed i say doomed…

fredthered:
And there’s a prison too!

The place is a nightmare to drive around in a 18T DAF, not mention trying to manoeuvre in/out the gate. They have to open both the inner and outer gates together to enable me to drive through em.
Driving out is even worse, as you have to shuffle the truck back/forward to make the turn as the inner courtyard is so small, and woe betide if you happen to hit the gate.

iv always dreamed of living in Mablethorpe. just because of the great beach.

corij:

Now I really would want to die!

i know that house prices are cheap cheap there in mablethorpe and yes its got nothing there much [apart from that beach]especially in wintertime id think it shuts down. Commuting from it would would be dead easy though. As i say,its just a dream iv had , ever since missus once got offered a job as a shop manager out there too so we could have made it happen ,but we didnt go . the one that got away !

How strange to see this thread today of all days!! I am finishing packing today to move up to Lincs in the morning.
I have spent a lot of time up there this summer and although I think I am going to be as popular as a pork chop etc, it isn’t that bad a place. Both of my sisters moved up to Louth over 20 years ago purely to give their children a better upbringing (moving from South London) and they love it up there. I am only going up due to retiring through poor health and my sister insisting I move nearer so she can ‘look after’ me.
House prices are ridiculously low. I was looking through Lincolnshire Life and an eight bedroom, 5 bathroomed, detached Grade II ‘mansion’ was going for £550k. My 3 bedroomed cottage here in Hampshire will cost you that

If moving to Lincoln you are in commuting distance of Newark and Scunthorpe, DHL Newark working for Knowhow pay 27.000 to 29.000 depending on your shift pattern. Nisa Scunthorpe also run by DHL pay between 29.000 to 32.000. :smiley:

TheBear:
How strange to see this thread today of all days!! I am finishing packing today to move up to Lincs in the morning.
I have spent a lot of time up there this summer…

I am only going up due to retiring

Oh jesus. I come from Bridlington and over 1/3 of the population of the town are retirees who decided to retire there because they used to come there on holiday and loved the place. Once there they then found that actually outside of catering for the tourists there weren’t that many shops for normal living and also that the town effectively closed from October to March. They also block anything remotely perceived as progress because it would alter the town from what they remember it being like when they used to come on holiday 20 years ago and as a result most young people leave with those remaining only able to find employment wiping old folks backsides in the plethora of care homes or getting 6 months of work in amusement arcades etc.

Nothing worse than people who’ve retired to an area based on spending a few weeks a year on holiday there.

Is there anywhere around there you can afford to live on minimum wages then? :confused:
Surely, if there’s plenty of work, the wages are not going to go any lower - so it’s all about what you can get out of the minimum you’d be paid… :question:

peirre:

fredthered:

The place is a nightmare to drive around in a 18T DAF, not mention trying to manoeuvre in/out the gate. They have to open both the inner and outer gates together to enable me to drive through em.
Driving out is even worse, as you have to shuffle the truck back/forward to make the turn as the inner courtyard is so small, and woe betide if you happen to hit the gate.

I did that for 3663 in the past, never been sent into a tighter spot. Designed for a horse and cart has never been a more accurate description. I had 7 shunts to get it out that gate. The gate itself is grade one listed apparently…

fredthered:

and a castle and a cathedral
had a weekend there last year
nice town ,nice pubs ,but the hill is too steep

Conor:

TheBear:
I have spent a lot of time up there this summer…

I am only going up due to retiring

Nothing worse than people who’ve retired to an area based on spending a few weeks a year on holiday there.

Are you ■■■■■■ blind, mate■■? You obviously never read my post properly because I never mentioned retiring there because of holidays. For one thing, the day I spend my holidays in ■■■■■■ Lincs is the day I slit my wrist. I do NOT want to live up there, believe me, … it’s a ■■■■■■■■ as far as I am concerned but beggars can’t be choosers.

Lincoln itself is horrible for driving in. I live down Monks Road, no where to park your car and don’t even think about trying to cross the city in a car between the hours of 07:30 to 09:30 in the morning and 15:30 to 18:00 at night. The whole town is flipping gridlocked. That being said, you’re a stones throw from the 46 and its only 13 or so miles to the A1.

Radar19 is totally right. Would give spalding and Bourne a very wide birth. Lot of poles in Lincoln now. Maybe try cartwright or s g haulage for work.

matt79:
Radar19 is totally right. Would give spalding and Bourne a very wide birth. Lot of poles in Lincoln now. Maybe try cartwright or s g haulage for work.

Are denby,s still going?if so do they still do the eu.Met Richard a couple of times and found him to be a real gent.That was about 14yrs ago mind.
regards dave.

Hi Dave.
Denbys are still going. They mainly do euro work now, also have an lgv training arm too. Gotme tthrough my class 1 & 2.
Matt

fredthered:

corij:

Now I really would want to die!

TheBear:
I have spent a lot of time up there this summer and although I think I am going to be as popular as a pork chop etc, it isn’t that bad a place. Both of my sisters moved up to Louth over 20 years ago purely to give their children a better upbringing (moving from South London) and they love it up there. I am only going up due to retiring through poor health and my sister insisting I move nearer so she can ‘look after’ me.
House prices are ridiculously low. I was looking through Lincolnshire Life and an eight bedroom, 5 bathroomed, detached Grade II ‘mansion’ was going for £550k. My 3 bedroomed cottage here in Hampshire will cost you that

We moved up from Hampshire in 88. Purely because we could afford to have kids and bring them up ourselves.

dafdave:

matt79:

Are denby,s still going?if so do they still do the eu.Met Richard a couple of times and found him to be a real gent.That was about 14yrs ago mind.
regards dave.

Yep, they are opposite Cartwrights just off Station Road.