Great pic! A lot of good-quality things were born in 1952 :wink: - ahem. Robert

:laughing:

240 Gardner:

[zb]
anorak:

240 Gardner:
Found it! Earls Court 1952:

Thanks- it looks great.

1. I guess the front mudguards were just a sop to the law, to enable the lorry to be driven to the coachbuilder?
  2. The mattress looks like it came from a proper bed factory- very inviting.
  3. The locker has a window, so the thieves can see if there’s anything worth nicking! What a changed world we live in now. A mate of mine has given up Continental driving, citing the risk of crime- being gassed or used as a mule for illegal immigrants- in his decision.
  1. I guess so
  2. Better than most sleeper mattresses before the 1970s!
  3. Indeed, how times have changed

Whoops- apologies for editing the post while you were typing :smiley: (I inserted the question regarding the engine at 2).

[zb]
anorak:

240 Gardner:

[zb]
anorak:

240 Gardner:
Found it! Earls Court 1952:

Thanks- it looks great.

1. I guess the front mudguards were just a sop to the law, to enable the lorry to be driven to the coachbuilder?
  2. The mattress looks like it came from a proper bed factory- very inviting.
  3. The locker has a window, so the thieves can see if there’s anything worth nicking! What a changed world we live in now. A mate of mine has given up Continental driving, citing the risk of crime- being gassed or used as a mule for illegal immigrants- in his decision.
  1. I guess so
  2. Better than most sleeper mattresses before the 1970s!
  3. Indeed, how times have changed

Whoops- apologies for editing the post while you were typing :smiley: (I inserted the question regarding the engine at 2).

:laughing: It is indeed an 8LW - the model designation is LL1588 - LHD LWB 15T payload, 8 wheels, 8 cylinders

A good find and good research!

LHD indicating overseas destinations brings me to the sales literature stating the eight wheelers
as L1786 with choice of Gardner 6 LW and 6 LX or ■■■■■■■ NH220 or RR C6NF. The year of the
brochure is 1962 and it also appears Atkinson then already offered the ■■■■■■■ NT335 optionally.

That looks like the Atomium in the background, which would locate it in Brussels. By odd coincidence I visited it in 1968, the same year I believe the picture was taken. Robert

Another new pic! Robert

ERF-NGC-European:
Another new pic! Robert

Splendid, they keep turning up!

Another clear picture, this time taken from a slightly different angle! Robert

Probably posted (long) before

posted by DEANB on a trailer thread:

atkinson belgium 68.PNG
atkinson europe 1968.PNG

Not sure where to put this find as its not krupp cab but an interesting find from a French Facebook page.

Steve

vwvanman0:

Not sure where to put this find as its not krupp cab but an interesting find from a French Facebook page.

Steve

I have a vague recollection of this being discussed on the Saviem thread some years ago; or it may have been that thread about Atkinsons operated on the Continent. You might find more about it there. :wink:

Atkinson Vehicles died a sudden and a very quick death…why? By then Seddon and Atkinson didn’t well and by buying the old (obsolete) stock
of Krupp-cabs (introduced in 1960’s) ‘heritage’ we all did smile on the continent.

You might discover (in the North of Germany) some Krupp SF/LF-chassis with a more or less ‘acceptable’ cab…I wish you all the best and money!

I was never lucky enough to see one of these trucks myself,.and I asked the question 8 years ago when the thread started, and assumed that because I never got an answer that it would be a…NO.

But does anybody know of a Krupp cabbed Atki still surviving?
,…maybe even in a museum somewhere abroad ?

robroy:
I was never lucky enough to see one of these trucks myself,.and I asked the question 8 years ago when the thread started, and assumed that because I never got an answer that it would be a…NO.

Never heard of one still going. Met a driver who used to drive one. It appears only 9 or 10 were built so the chances of any surviving are very slim.

ERF-Continental:
Atkinson Vehicles died a sudden and a very quick death…

Really? :laughing: :laughing:

ERF-NGC-European:

robroy:

Never heard of one still going. Met a driver who used to drive one. It appears only 9 or 10 were built so the chances of any surviving are very slim.

Bit of a shame is that.
Pity that nobody had the foresight to restore one rather scrap it, especially as they were as rare as you say.

robroy:

ERF-NGC-European:

robroy:

Bit of a shame is that.
Pity that nobody had the foresight to restore one rather scrap it, especially as they were as rare as you say.

They were powered by the RR 220 which wasn’t the most reliable of motors, so that won’t have helped. :wink:

Krupp introduced their new cab at the end of the fifties with in 1963 a new effort with the Krupp-■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ (V6 or V8)
which didn’t show quite big numbers in sales…resulting in 1968 when Mercedes-Benz bought this department and some more
or less obsolete (but new) cabs were sold to balance the loss/investment. By now that cab runs towards its retirement with a
gross 60-65 years…we all know that metal didn’t last eternally. Quite some Krupp’s were saved and restored however.

At Van Steenbergen, they ran about 25 Krupp-chassis in total, no cab was acceptable to achieve to restore one of their last (as
a shunter) available chassis…with bear in mind a very skilled ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ (family to Ronald F. Hawkins) aboard.

The rest is history unfortunately.