LHD Ford Transcontinentals

robert1952:
:lol: :laughing: OK I’ll put you out of your misery: here are your pics! Robert :smiley:

Thanks robert !

Can’t seem to work out the foto thing however much I try, always end up on the ■■■■■■■ as so many things do in life !!!

M&C Jamie:

Tubbysboy:

M&C Jamie:

robert1952:
:lol: :laughing: OK I’ll put you out of your misery: here are your pics! Robert :smiley:

Hi Danny,a good photo of you ,with your mum and sister, not forgetting the mad guard dog, that alway’s tried to catch the water as it came out of the hose pipe, making washing the trucks almost impossible.
JKE486Y was driven by little Jock from Witham when I started with your dad. It was on a regular weekly round trip from London to Berlin shipping out on a Sunday from Parkstone Quay. It was the only left ■■■■■■ your dad had, whilst the other drivers were on R/H drives doing commie block. did manage to get my hands on the left ■■■■■■ for a while, which made the job a lot easier. regards Jamie.

Helo Jaime, Hope your good.

It was indeed used for the Berlin job. Dads planning was never his strongest point… Meantime beat up old v regs rhd up and down Europe while jock done locals…
I remember dad buying jke and almost smashing it up several times on the way home.
Didn’t you do a few Greek trips with it? Again my memory is probably wrong…but rings a bell somewhere.

Hi Danny, Your dads strong point was keeping his trucks well maintained and reliable. They may have been old but there was never any fear of them not being fit for the job. Saying that I did have a water pump go in Yugo on a trip to Greece, this again was one of these things which turned out to be a little known service item. (there was a small plug on the water pump body which should have been removed and replaced with a grease ■■■■■■ every so often to lubricate the pump bearings] As Michael Cane said ,not a lot of people knew that! The water pump seal started leaking just north of Skopje. I removed the water pump and was given a lift by a yugo tourist to thesoloniki, where i found a ■■■■■■■ agent that reconned the water pump. when i returned to the truck i found that someone had slashed the side of the tilt. when they found out that it was a load of paint buckets they did’nt explore any further. As i finished refitting the water pump i was approached by a couple of English girls looking for a lift to Greece, they had been given a lift from Italy in a hearse by a Yugoslavian who had gone to Italy to collect a body and they had sat beside this all the way through yugo until they saw my english truck in the parking area. You would need some imagination to make up these stories. Best regards Jamie.[/

Your correct jamie, no one would believe half the stories. And I do remember the water pump incident as well I think it was on afore mentioned JKE486Y ? Dad always said it was one of the worst transcons he ever bought. And if I’m correct was the last one he bought. He had high hopes for it as it was his first proper new lorry, although it had been imported and left in a barn in Kent for about 2 years or so. think it cost 19k. He ended up selling it to one of his last drivers… And me and him kept one of the old MAN’s…

Seems like yesterday… But was many moons ago hey ?

robert1952:

That truck looks superb…A step forward to what the next face lifted Transcontinental May have been?.. Under bumper spoiler…3.5M wheelbase…blanked out upper door panels…roof mounted air con unit…Colour coded sun visor and grille…nicely turned out unit…The kerb view mirror on the LH door is mounted lower down to give visibility… The glass upper door panel must have been replaced with steel

Riverstick:

robert1952:

That truck looks superb…A step forward to what the next face lifted Transcontinental May have been?.. Under bumper spoiler…3.5M wheelbase…blanked out upper door panels…roof mounted air con unit…Colour coded sun visor and grille…nicely turned out unit…The kerb view mirror on the LH door is mounted lower down to give visibility… The glass upper door panel must have been replaced with steel

Personally, I’d have liked to see a visor! Robert

Robert DeLieu’s excellent Transcontinental was originally LHD

Originally a French truck…now at the end of its days

Cheers Riverstick! Here’s another one at the end of its days! Robert

Greidanus-Wjelsryp-Ford-Transcontinental-4431.jpg

Riverstick:

Originally a French truck…now at the end of its days

Found a little history on this one

"
Yeah spot on, she was 1980 , he bought it in La Harve, some motor, it was like brand new , belonged to an oil company in la harve port, he saw it parked up in their yard one day and went in to ask about it,got it for a grand or two, think he had enough in the running money to Italy to buy her! She was some bus but only did about 4mpg with the big Cat engine, but he could get 100 mph no prob. When he sold it the bloke that bought it asked what it was like on diesel, Bert said it did about 8 mpg, so the bloke bought it , and every second night for a few weeks Bert would throw ten gallons of diesel into it in the security yard in clondalkin !! Poor bloke thought he was getting ten mpg ! It had no top bunk and we fitted one from a Berliet , and the curtains were made from sheets from the paddy! On Her first trip He got a CMF tilt shipped out unaccompanied on the paddy, he came out as a second driver and got a lift up to the truck in the oil companies yard, paid for her out of the float came back to the port in her collected the tilt full of wellmans and headed off in her to italy on French plates that miraculously changed into irish ones along the way ! There was no truck that could out pull it, I’d an f12 and he would pass me and everyone else like we were stopped on the pull on the old road out of Cherbourg, both us had same loads of wellmans most times, Ernie Melina had bought a brand new mercedes 44 and when Bert passed him laughing his head off with the same full load of wine climbing Dijon Ernie was so disgusted he never spoke to Bert again,"

T2eC16FHJGYE9nooiKyUBQn9WqWPo60_58_zps8a8d7699.jpg

robert1952:
Billy King’s LHD Transcon had a big-cam ■■■■■■■ and a 13-speed box - oh, and a high roof! He did Morocco with it and I ran with him on many occasions. RIP, mate. Robert

Hi Robert,
This has not been taxed since 2002.It’s a shame…

Paul.

Vehicle enquiry
Registration number: RMG 628Y
✗ Untaxed
Tax due: 31 March 2002
MOT
No details held by DVLA
New keepers must get tax before using the vehicle. Please be aware that if you have taxed, made a SORN or had an MOT in the last 5 days these details may not have updated.

Vehicle details
6 month rate (1 or more axles) £831.00 12 month rate (1 or more axles) £1500.00 6 month rate (3 or more axles) £664.00 12 month rate (3 or more axles) £1200.00 Vehicle make FORD Date of first registration 01 October 1982 Year of manufacture 1981 Cylinder capacity (cc) 14000cc CO₂Emissions Not available Fuel type DIESEL Export marker No Vehicle status Not taxed Vehicle colour WHITE Vehicle type approval Not available Wheelplan 2 AXLE + 3 AXLE ARTIC Revenue weight 38000kg

postman paul:

robert1952:
Billy King’s LHD Transcon had a big-cam ■■■■■■■ and a 13-speed box - oh, and a high roof! He did Morocco with it and I ran with him on many occasions. RIP, mate. Robert

Hi Robert,

Paul.

Vehicle enquiry
✗ Untaxed
MOT
No details held by DVLA
New keepers must get tax before using the vehicle. Please be aware that if you have taxed, made a SORN or had an MOT in the last 5 days these details may not have updated.

Vehicle details
6 month rate (1 or more axles) £831.00 12 month rate (1 or more axles) £1500.00 6 month rate (3 or more axles) £664.00 12 month rate (3 or more axles) £1200.00 Vehicle make FORD Date of first registration 01 October 1982 Year of manufacture 1981 Cylinder capacity (cc) 14000cc CO₂Emissions Not available Fuel type DIESEL Export marker No Vehicle status Not taxed Vehicle colour WHITE Vehicle type approval Not available Wheelplan 2 AXLE + 3 AXLE ARTIC Revenue weight 38000kg

I sort of don’t want to get into this one. Some time before he died, Billy rang me up to ask me to take his Transcon to Qatar and sell it. Unfortunately, new rules had just come in that dis-allowed vehicles over 10 ten years old and RHD vehicles. Fortunately, Billy’s Transcon was LHD but it was way over 10 years old. In addition, I was at that time doing Middle-East for Jeff Welton and couldn’t take time off to do it. Believe me, I would have loved to have driven Billy’s Transcon on its final long-haul trip to the Middle-East: it was a fantastic machine and Billy knew every single nut and bolt of it. I attended his funeral in 2006 along with many other ex-North Africa drivers. It was a moving occasion. Robert

On another tack; to what extent does the LHD Transcon count as a British lorry? Were all LHD Transcons built in Holland? Ideas and views, please… Robert

postman paul:

robert1952:

Hi Robert,

Paul.

Vehicle enquiry
✗ Untaxed
MOT
No details held by DVLA

Vehicle details

I believe that truck is still in 1 piece

T

robert1952:

That looks like one of Dave Dervish’s old motors (Othello Transport) - ran out of The Old Coal Yard, Chequers Lane. He also had a 350 ■■■■■■■■ long wheel base.

EHJ562T.jpg

Purchased from Newham Motors around 81/82. Originally a 325 ■■■■■■■ & uprated to around 380 by ■■■■■■■ (Grays), 13 speed Fuller box.

robert1952:
On another tack; to what extent does the LHD Transcon count as a British lorry? Were all LHD Transcons built in Holland? Ideas and views, please… Robert

Hi Robert,

The last 500 or so were built in the Foden factory…both LHD & RHD…supposed to have been the best built Transcontinentals by all accounts

@ Adel1970: Thanks mate, it’s nice to know she’s still in one piece!

@ Churchyboy: Great details, thanks!

@ Steelboy: I think that one’s RHD isn’t it? Great picture of a ‘kangaroo’ trailer though!

@ Riverstide: Well that clears that question up for me nicely - cheers!

Thanks all for your interest and replies, Robert :smiley: