LHD Ford Transcontinentals

Well, it is left hand drive!

Was! :open_mouth: Robert

A photo of me dads old lhd Transcon, can’t get the photo on straight for some reason, but it had a nasty shunt in east Germany on its way home.

Was bought from chapman commercials in Kent somewhere… Tonbridge I think ? It was a cut down Austrian spec rigid on 1200x20 Tyres and consequently couldn’t couple up to supercubes or transit Swiss as it was always too high on the 5th wheel.

If my memory is what it was m&c jamie had it for a while when we worked for me dad. I’m sure he can confirm ?

image.jpg

Right way up hopefully…

80’s fashion shoot hahaha

And coupled up to a supercube !!! Ex Ukon run on 900x20 so a prosperidad one !

:laughing: :laughing: OK I’ll put you out of your misery: here are your pics! Robert :smiley:

Hi Robert 1952, the two pics you posted one with the Anglo Greek trailer on are of the same truck before and after a bit of cosmetic changes, it had a 375 ■■■■■■■ and one of the best 13speeds I’ve ever used. It had a chequered history with multiple owners, I first saw it in a yard behind the Ford factory in Dagenham when my mate Derk Garrard was buying it off someone whose name escapes me, I then bought it off Derek a couple of years later and ran it on Greece, loved driving it until I packed in as an owner driver and sold it to Dennis the Rat who I believe sold it to the guy who owned it in the two pictures, he is on Trucknet and I hope will forgive me not remembering his name. I know Derek bought it back again several years later and sold it to someone in Russia where it may still be running around today.

I know this is RHD, but it wasn’t when it was new, it was rebuilt and converted from LHD.

I got the pic from Neil Jarrod, he took it in as part ex.

robert1952:
:lol: :laughing: OK I’ll put you out of your misery: here are your pics! Robert :smiley:

Hi Danny,a good photo of you ,with your mum and sister, not forgetting the mad guard dog, that alway’s tried to catch the water as it came out of the hose pipe, making washing the trucks almost impossible.
JKE486Y was driven by little Jock from Witham when I started with your dad. It was on a regular weekly round trip from London to Berlin shipping out on a Sunday from Parkstone Quay. It was the only left ■■■■■■ your dad had, whilst the other drivers were on R/H drives doing commie block. did manage to get my hands on the left ■■■■■■ for a while, which made the job a lot easier. regards Jamie.

chazzer:
Hi Robert 1952, the two pics you posted one with the Anglo Greek trailer on are of the same truck before and after a bit of cosmetic changes, it had a 375 ■■■■■■■ and one of the best 13speeds I’ve ever used. It had a chequered history with multiple owners, I first saw it in a yard behind the Ford factory in Dagenham when my mate Derk Garrard was buying it off someone whose name escapes me, I then bought it off Derek a couple of years later and ran it on Greece, loved driving it until I packed in as an owner driver and sold it to Dennis the Rat who I believe sold it to the guy who owned it in the two pictures, he is on Trucknet and I hope will forgive me not remembering his name. I know Derek bought it back again several years later and sold it to someone in Russia where it may still be running around today.

That’s exactly the kind of info I find helpful on these threads: cheers! Here are the pics again, so that your text is in the same post as the photos. Robert :slight_smile:

newmercman:
I know this is RHD, but it wasn’t when it was new, it was rebuilt and converted from LHD.

Good info! I see it has a Kent reg plate. Robert :slight_smile:

Robert/Chazzer the bloke you can’t remember is fly sheet, John Cooper in real life.

robert1952:

newmercman:

Hi Robert,
Happy New Year to you,thanks for all your interesting informative threads on TruckNet.

Here’s a shot of newmercmans photo of VKN 45 X taken when it was new and LHD,the guy on the left Tim was the owner, he pulled for T.A.E./Europa out of Erith every Friday night for Italy.He could always be found in Paladini’s at Carisio on a Sunday !

Regards
Richard

Oh that was Tim’s one, he had a double barreled surname, can’t remember what though. Bullitt on here will remember as he worked for him on TAE, but he had an IVECO then. The big Henry was long gone.

MaggieD:

robert1952:

newmercman:

Hi Robert,
Happy New Year to you,thanks for all your interesting informative threads on TruckNet.

Here’s a shot of newmercmans photo of VKN 45 X taken when it was new and LHD,the guy on the left Tim was the owner, he pulled for T.A.E./Europa out of Erith every Friday night for Italy.He could always be found in Paladini’s at Carisio on a Sunday !

Regards
Richard

Ah-ha: mystery solved, thank you! And a very Happy New Year to you too, Richard. Cheers! Robert :smiley:

M&C Jamie:

robert1952:
:lol: :laughing: OK I’ll put you out of your misery: here are your pics! Robert :smiley:

Hi Danny,a good photo of you ,with your mum and sister, not forgetting the mad guard dog, that alway’s tried to catch the water as it came out of the hose pipe, making washing the trucks almost impossible.
JKE486Y was driven by little Jock from Witham when I started with your dad. It was on a regular weekly round trip from London to Berlin shipping out on a Sunday from Parkstone Quay. It was the only left ■■■■■■ your dad had, whilst the other drivers were on R/H drives doing commie block. did manage to get my hands on the left ■■■■■■ for a while, which made the job a lot easier. regards Jamie.

Helo Jaime, Hope your good.

It was indeed used for the Berlin job. Dads planning was never his strongest point… Meantime beat up old v regs rhd up and down Europe while jock done locals…
I remember dad buying jke and almost smashing it up several times on the way home.
Didn’t you do a few Greek trips with it? Again my memory is probably wrong…but rings a bell somewhere.

What an impressive old lorry these Transcons were, always admired them when I was a kid.
So underrated and such a shame Ford dropped the model, who knows if they had continued to develop it they may well of still been in the heavy truck business today.
The picture of the X reg one with the Turbo leader cab parked next to the FH, the cab is sitting so much higher on the chassis than usuall, it dwarfs the Volvo!
Does anyone know why this is?

newmercman:
Oh that was Tim’s one, he had a double barreled surname, can’t remember what though. Bullitt on here will remember as he worked for him on TAE, but he had an IVECO then. The big Henry was long gone.

Hi newmercman,

Tim’s surname was Perret-Jones,he had an old F89 to start with then moved on to the Ford, I remember him buying the IVECO’s from Peter Colby in Norfolk,he ran with a chap called Roger (R.I.P) who also pulled for TAE,he ran a RHD Transcon called “Big Wheels” BPU 822T an ex Ford press vehicle, his father was pretty high up at Fords I seem to recall. Roger was killed one night on the Blanc on his way to Italy.
This his him in the photo with Tim’s old Volvo.

Regards
Richard

I remember them both, I worked at EVS at the time. Sad day when Roger went over the side. The rumour was he had brake problems on the trailer so came down on the unit brakes only.

Tubbysboy:

M&C Jamie:

robert1952:

Helo Jaime, Hope your good.

It was indeed used for the Berlin job. Dads planning was never his strongest point… Meantime beat up old v regs rhd up and down Europe while jock done locals…
I remember dad buying jke and almost smashing it up several times on the way home.
Didn’t you do a few Greek trips with it? Again my memory is probably wrong…but rings a bell somewhere.

Hi Danny, Your dads strong point was keeping his trucks well maintained and reliable. They may have been old but there was never any fear of them not being fit for the job. Saying that I did have a water pump go in Yugo on a trip to Greece, this again was one of these things which turned out to be a little known service item. (there was a small plug on the water pump body which should have been removed and replaced with a grease ■■■■■■ every so often to lubricate the pump bearings] As Michael Cane said ,not a lot of people knew that! The water pump seal started leaking just north of Skopje. I removed the water pump and was given a lift by a yugo tourist to thesoloniki, where i found a ■■■■■■■ agent that reconned the water pump. when i returned to the truck i found that someone had slashed the side of the tilt. when they found out that it was a load of paint buckets they did’nt explore any further. As i finished refitting the water pump i was approached by a couple of English girls looking for a lift to Greece, they had been given a lift from Italy in a hearse by a Yugoslavian who had gone to Italy to collect a body and they had sat beside this all the way through yugo until they saw my english truck in the parking area. You would need some imagination to make up these stories. Best regards Jamie.

7409527984_b22f25e7ab_z.jpg