Leyland Roadtrains

Well this K Reg we had with the 330 engine was no bother at all we ran it for 4 years and all it had apart from brake linings & tyres was a radiator & a steering box, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
0Well this K Reg we had with the 330 engine was no bother at all we ran it for 4 years and all it had apart from brake linings & tyres was a radiator & a steering box, Regards Larry.

Now that is a fine shot Larry and a credit to you mate ! Cheers Dennis.

acd1202:
The Popemobile is in the British Commercial Vehicle Museum in Leyland, or it was last September.

That is true but not the full story. There are two similar Popemobiles produced by Leyland. They were/are registrations SCW 532X and SCW 533X.

SCW 533X is still in the British Commercial Vehicle Museum in Leyland and SCW 532X was in the Albion Truck Museum in Glasgow founded by the late Mick Hayton. This was sold at auction in 2006 for £37,000 by an Irish guy and it was shipped to Ireland. Incidentally, Mr Hayton removed all evidence of the brand “Leyland” from it which is justified as it was really an Albion Reiver hence the Scottish rego. The other one was branded as a Leyland Constructor.

They needed two for the Pope as he often visited several adjoining countries on one tour so after being used in the first country popemobile No1 would be driven to counrty No3 whist popemobile No2 was being used. Then popemobile No2 would go to country 4 etc. Anyway this is what happened on his visit to Africa in 1989.

Here is the one we got to look after in Zambia and no, the lady didn’t drive His Holiness. That was done by our Service manager Willie Hepburn.

Tomdhu:

acd1202:
The Popemobile is in the British Commercial Vehicle Museum in Leyland, or it was last September.

That is true but not the full story. There are two similar Popemobiles produced by Leyland. They were/are registrations SCW 532X and SCW 533X.

SCW 533X is still in the British Commercial Vehicle Museum in Leyland and SCW 532X They needed two for the Pope as he often visited several adjoining countries on one tour so after being used in the first country popemobile No1 would be driven to counrty No3 whist popemobile No2 was being used. Then popemobile No2 would go to country 4 etc. Anyway this is what happened on his visit to Africa in 1989.

Evening all,

Tomdhu, now that springs an interesting memory.

My Daughter was attending Convent School, in the next village to us. The Nun who was the Headmistress, (from deep in Southern Ireland), had decided that the girls needed a Sports Hall…but there was no money available…so fund raising was the order of the day!

We held several events, and for one I was able to borrow SCW532 X, from Leyland.

I turned up with my trade plates, and off down the M6, little realising what an impact such a vehicle had…one motor coach overtook me, and the vehicle suddenly listed to the left as the passengers crowded to the nearside to look at SCW!..the same when I parked it on the drive of our then current home…people from the village kept coming by to look at…(a Leyland Constructor…that is what it was).

The fund raising Fete…another father who happened to be a photographer for the Express and Star, (the local newspaper), and I set up SCW, and offered people the chance to be photographed where His Holiness had stood …for £5…we raised nearly 2K in the afternoon.

Lovely thing to drive, just a Constructor Tipper without the tipping body, but lovely ride…took her back on the Monday…

Oh the Sports Hall funds, …at the fete a VIP invitee was Sir Jack Hayward, (owner and Chairman of Wolverhampton Wanderers Football Club)…a really nice and easy to speak to fellow. He challenged Sister Helen to name some famous Wolverhampton Wanderers Team by name from some past victory, (Im not a football man at all, apologies )…She did so, word, and name perfect, (Sister Helen was a real football fan)…and Sir Jack duly stumped up the difference…and Saint Dominic`s got their Sports Hall…and an Infant School!

Happy memories, lovely lorry though!

Cheerio for now.

These are starting to crop up on the Marathon thread, so I thought I’d bump this up.

IMO, the T45 was blighted by cost-cutting. Leyland wanted to beat the European makes, but on a smaller volume of sales, so to pay back the up front costs, they had to be impossibly clever with the cost of building the things. The result was its well known failings- cab rot, bad ride, farm gearbox, cheap interior trim, crap back axle. It might have been a cut above the other gaffers’ motors, but was no match for the Continentals. With a Fuller/ZF option and fluffy brown fabric all over the inside, it might have had a chance of persuading drivers out of the F10. Dunno about the suspension. With their own test track next door to the design office, how could they possibly have made such a hash of it?

TAG171 Jock Fulton had this from new at the Oxford depot .

TAG171 AND TAG173

TAC 199 AND Tag 173 .

13769551_891354531008251_4257357033582689822_n.jpg

At the end of its life photo at Wallingford ,TAG171

1934282_1246105479875_7944956_n.jpg

TAG171 , IT WAS TRASHED BY NOW .

1934282_1246105519876_7028877_n.jpg

This is a very well painted outfit. They always had nice looking trucks.

TAG174 ,new to Ray Timms at Oxford depot .

TAG172 , this was being shared around after the driver from new Tony Smith came off general haulage and went on a contract vehicle ,lasted a few months and was bloody wrecked ,great motor when Smithy had it loads of bling .

smithys road train ..jpg

172 again

1934282_1246105439874_1564944_n.jpg

F995SOU last Roadtrain we had at Oxford before having the 80 series .

ERF-NGC-European:

Robert

Unless my muddled brain has let me down, I seem to recall Simon sergeant winning that motor in a truck magazine competition?

Lawrence Dunbar:
0Well this K Reg we had with the 330 engine was no bother at all we ran it for 4 years and all it had apart from brake linings & tyres was a radiator & a steering box, Regards Larry.

Larry I had the pleasure of working for two hauliers who also run 80 Series and indeed they gave very but very good service , very good to drive etc etc etc , if only Leyland had been properly run things could have so different .■■?

shugg:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Larry I had the pleasure of working for two hauliers who also run 80 Series and indeed they gave very but very good service , very good to drive etc etc etc , if only Leyland had been properly run things could have so different .■■?

Can we infer from this that there is some question that the DAF ( or ■■■■■■■■■■■■■ ) engine was superior to the TL12 ?.If that’s what’s being said that might have some implications regarding the argument on the Marathon topic. :open_mouth:

The inference there ( raised by me ) being that Leyland’s mismanagement wasn’t ■■■■ up but conspiracy. :bulb: :wink:

Carryfast:
Can we infer from this that there is some question that the DAF ( or ■■■■■■■■■■■■■ ) engine was superior to the TL12 ?.If that’s what’s being said that might have some implications regarding the argument on the Marathon topic. :open_mouth:

The inference there ( raised by me ) being that Leyland’s mismanagement wasn’t ■■■■ up but conspiracy. :bulb: :wink:

A magazine report on the Marathon thread says that the TL12 chassis was 164kg lighter than the Rolls Eagle one. Both engines had about 12 litres, both made around 280bhp. That’s a significant point in favour of the AEC/Leyland engineers. The failings of Leylands were not in the engine, as many have attempted to explain.

This conspiracy argument is a new, more radical form of idiocy. How long before alien invasions are cited as the root cause of lorry engines having a 140mm stroke?