leyland roadtrain

i know post have been put on here before about said motor, but whilst poodling n/b on the a34 this afternoon i saw the roadtrain heading south giving a car transporter a run for its money, had bedminster on the headboard and looked immaculate still (credit to the driver). less than a minute later i spots a scania 82? (i think) six wheel rigid with a container on the back, what made me look was the high roof conversion it had on it! certainly stuck out. twas blue with a blue stripe down it, most proberbly you box boys would see these two a lot in southampton? think tkdave should trace down these owners of these classics and do a feature for t+d… :smiley:

i remember bedminster being in a few years ago . though i hadnt seen the leyland around for a few years

I think Bedminsters Roadtrains have fairly recently been featured in one of the mags, generally about running older stuff. Still got a couple on the road apparently, but can’t get drivers interested in driving them.

i remember the roadtrain 16 yrs ago when i was on craptainers :laughing:

I took one and tipped Taranto in Southern Italy :frowning:

Cut my teeth on 'em
1728, 1729 ,1730, 1735
2032, 2034
■■■■■■■■ Rolls, Spicer, Eaton, Fuller.
Bibby distribution had the lot
My favourite was the 2032, 14 ltr ■■■■■■■■ not a bad motor, even at 38 tons.most of them came with twin bunks. we used to remove the top bunk and raise the lower bunk by about a foot, this gave you plenty of under bunk storage and enough room for a week away at a time. :smiley:
some of the lads at Bibbys did the continent with low datum cabs, not much fun… :frowning:
Happy days …■■?

flickr.com/photos/tkbedford/2426860061/

Bedminster one still trucking

thats mint!no rust on side locker panels!i thought that was a standard fitment! :blush: when i worked at dodds,jim dodd had a d plate one at the acton depot.
had one at brs warrington depot,long chassis,as if they forgot to put middle axle on!ugly barsteward it was!

My dad use to drive one @ Ploughmans he said best thing he drove in the wet fully loaded

wirralpete:
i know post have been put on here before about said motor, but whilst poodling n/b on the a34 this afternoon i saw the roadtrain heading south giving a car transporter a run for its money, had bedminster on the headboard and looked immaculate still (credit to the driver). less than a minute later i spots a scania 82? (i think) six wheel rigid with a container on the back, what made me look was the high roof conversion it had on it! certainly stuck out. twas blue with a blue stripe down it, most proberbly you box boys would see these two a lot in southampton? think tkdave should trace down these owners of these classics and do a feature for t+d… :smiley:

he has mate it was in t and d a few months back well the bedminster one anyway he was a bit shy about what the engine kicked out but no limiter on it twin spitter seat from a man if he was closer to me i’d have a bash oh and i think he’s after a cab for another one he’s got iirc the other one has got a real bad case of tin worm