Leyland Roadtrains

Lawrence Dunbar:

Larry was that shot taken when they were reclaiming the land on Newburn riverside? Regards Kev.

kevmac47:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Larry was that shot taken when they were reclaiming the land on Newburn riverside? Regards Kev.

Hi Kev, Nigel took it while waiting to offload at Butterwell Opencast site, When he came back to the yard at Seaton Burn he was furious because the site where he loaded in Scotland was where all the dirt made his pristine motor look like ■■■■■■ He spent 2 hrs with the pressure cleaner getting it clean once more, Then the Simonise polish came out Of course me being a good old Dad gave him a hand with it, The good old days :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

kevmac47:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Hi Kev, Nigel took it while waiting to offload at Butterwell Opencast site, When he came back to the yard at Seaton Burn he was furious because the site where he loaded in Scotland was where all the dirt made his pristine motor look like [zb], He spent 2 hrs with the pressure cleaner getting it clean once more, Then the Simonise polish came out Of course me being a good old Dad gave him a hand with it, The good old days :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Regards Larry.

I’m sure the good rate for the job would “salve” the insulting layer of ■■■■■ on the motor Larry :wink: Cheers Dennis.

Lawrence Dunbar:

We have an identical Roadtrain to this for restoration this winter. It was re-patriated from John Hindle in Hungary a few weeks ago where it had been for the last 15 years. Originally new to his dad, Alan Hindle and it is in very good condition. ■■■■■■■ 320, Eaton twin-spliter, Rockwell axle. The target show is Gaydon 2016. And I thought my restoring days were over! :astonished:

gingerfold:

Lawrence Dunbar:

We have an identical Roadtrain to this for restoration this winter. It was re-patriated from John Hindle in Hungary a few weeks ago where it had been for the last 15 years. Originally new to his dad, Alan Hindle and it is in very good condition. ■■■■■■■ 320, Eaton twin-spliter, Rockwell axle. The target show is Gaydon 2016. And I thought my restoring days were over! :astonished:

Hi Gingerfold, Any photo’s? You got a real flying machine there,Bickfords truck hire had a similar spec motor off the clock if you wanted to, only trouble was speed trace needle on tachograph would come off end of chart and get stuck!

lorryspotting.com/club/image … 628gau.jpg
(hope that link worked) these had a load of Roadtrains - mostly acquired second hand from the likes of Lex etc. IIRC

pete smith:

gingerfold:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Hi Gingerfold, Any photo’s? You got a real flying machine there,Bickfords truck hire had a similar spec motor off the clock if you wanted to, only trouble was speed trace needle on tachograph would come off end of chart and get stuck!

It is not the best of photos but one of the Hindle Roadtrains on an Eastern European trip. (Sorry it will not upload, wrong sort of file)

gingerfold:

pete smith:

gingerfold:

Lawrence Dunbar:

It is not the best of photos but one of the Hindle Roadtrains on an Eastern European trip. (Sorry it will not upload, wrong sort of file)

T45s still look modern and distinctive, 35 years on. Regardless of the faults of 1970s British Leyland, the company did not bow to fashion. Even though its global dominance was crippled by the weaknesses foisted upon it by Donald Stokes, BL continued to work as if it was the leader.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Nice looking livery Lawrence,

Spud1960:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Nice looking livery Lawrence,

Thank you Spud1960, This one was taken when It was brand new, Regards Larry.

This is one I drove on the NETTO contract when Barbers of Oughtibridge had the distribution out of Gildersome in 92/93

539733_493999903948091_1567648886_nNetto contract.jpg

556030_493999613948120_888983405_netto contract.jpg

When did they start offering the Rockwell axles ,was that when DAF got involved, looking at the cabs it wouldn`t have broke the bank to have improved them up to european standards , Rockwell back end , Rolls or ■■■■■■■ and either the 9/13 speed Fuller or ZF 16 speed and they would have had something to compete with.Decisions by the top brass at Leyland never seemed to make sense

ramone:
When did they start offering the Rockwell axles ,was that when DAF got involved, looking at the cabs it wouldn`t have broke the bank to have improved them up to european standards , Rockwell back end , Rolls or ■■■■■■■ and either the 9/13 speed Fuller or ZF 16 speed and they would have had something to compete with.Decisions by the top brass at Leyland never seemed to make sense

Looking at the LHD Leyland Roadtrains thread and at the brochures I would have thought that, given the amount of development that went into it, that the Roadtrain cab was well and truly up to European standards. Compare it with an MAN F8 cab. Robert

Does anyone remember Davy boy fowler from Cardiff leyland road train 3 trips a week gkn to Yorkshire plasterboard back he was fanatical obout his roping and sheeting and his road train and trailer was maintained and polished like you wouldn’t believe lovely bloke regards rowland

robert1952:

ramone:

Looking at the LHD Leyland Roadtrains thread and at the brochures I would have thought that, given the amount of development that went into it, that the Roadtrain cab was well and truly up to European standards. Compare it with an MAN F8 cab. Robert

The Roadtrain was killed off by DAF when they took Leyland over I’m sad to say.

stevecook:

robert1952:

ramone:

Wasn`t the last of the Roadtrains available with a DAF engine?

ramone:

stevecook:

robert1952:

ramone:

Wasn`t the last of the Roadtrains available with a DAF engine?

That’s correct we ran 2 “J” reg ones both were fitted with the DAF engine 330 Ati
Good reliable lorries