Leicester's Bygone's

Cheers for that info on Bextons rich12 , another of the old school gone then… :frowning:

Does anyone remember NT Motors of Littlethorpe they used to run Seddons artic’s, two tone green base in Warwick road.

How long ago was NT motors in littlethorpe? I lived in Cosby from 81 and only moved to broughton astley 5 years ago and can’t picture them!
As for pm rucks, they went under several times, one of our drivers worked for them right to the end when they’re erf’s looked like they were in palletforces colours. I’ll see if he has any pics when I see him next.
Also pinnacle international freight if it’s the one in narborough, is owned by a friends dad, who himself is a director, I’ll see if he has any, but I’m sure they only really run 7.5’s

phantom:
Does anyone remember NT Motors of Littlethorpe they used to run Seddons artic’s, two tone green base in Warwick road.

Hi Phantom, I remember NT Motors ( narborough transport ) their yard was next to the council yard at the top of warwick rd.
They had green ERFs and seddons and on the name plate on top of the cab it said Empire Stone, the name of their main contract.
Empire stone’s place was were travis perkins is now next to the level crossing iirc.
NT Motors used to have a few 33’ tandem axle flats and step frame trailers.
An old work colleague of mine used to drive for them years ago. A very well kept tidy firm if my memory serves me right.

Beetie:
How long ago was NT motors in littlethorpe? I lived in Cosby from 81 and only moved to broughton astley 5 years ago and can’t picture them!
As for pm rucks, they went under several times, one of our drivers worked for them right to the end when they’re erf’s looked like they were in palletforces colours. I’ll see if he has any pics when I see him next.
Also pinnacle international freight if it’s the one in narborough, is owned by a friends dad, who himself is a director, I’ll see if he has any, but I’m sure they only really run 7.5’s

Think NT Motors finished about 27/30yrs ago,
Venture forwarding took over Rucks transport who themselves were in with palletforce, hence the colour scheme.
Be great if you could speak with your friends dad to see if he has any priceless pics of the Pinnacle fleet. When i first passed my test in 1990 that was the first firm i drove an artic for, a B-reg M.A.N in the old blue colour scheme just before they went silver with dark blue lettering. I also used to work for AML Transport of wigston and we used to do a hell of a lot of traction for Pinnacle, including change overs at dover when they used to turn there drivers back round. I always remember one of their drivers, a geordie lad, curly hair, good laugh too.

Yeah I used to deliver sheet metal for venture when they were up Stanton. That’s all our units now, up past stressline.

Beetie:
Yeah I used to deliver sheet metal for venture when they were up Stanton. That’s all our units now, up past stressline.

I take it you drive for Cobley’s then Beetie, what are they like to work for, and do they do much continental work.
Last time i saw my mate about 9 months ago he was on there on rigids.

Yeah ive been with them for 10 years now, so they cant be too bad!
Whos your mate i know most of them and me best mate is the tm for the rigids too…

Perfects of Gt. Yarmouth had a depot in Memory Lane off Belgrave Gate in Leicester and they ran a trunk from Yarmouth in the early 70s, a bloody hard nights work back then. The drivers were Dennis Sketchly, Wally Simmons, Brian Laywood, Roy Edwards, Taffy ?, Graham ? Dave Higgins and the TM was Steve Sanders. The motors were all Seddons (32-four model) and the yard was rented off British Waterways. Regards to all, Haddy, Gt. Yarmouth.

Oh Iv’e just remembered another haulier from the Leicester area, Roadways of Bagworth (I think) and they pulled for Norfolk Line out of GY. They ran Atkinson Borderers and the colour was pink----YES PINK. A bloke called Dennis drove for them.

haddy:
Perfects of Gt. Yarmouth had a depot in Memory Lane off Belgrave Gate in Leicester and they ran a trunk from Yarmouth in the early 70s, a bloody hard nights work back then. The drivers were Dennis Sketchly, Wally Simmons, Brian Laywood, Roy Edwards, Taffy ?, Graham ? Dave Higgins and the TM was Steve Sanders. The motors were all Seddons (32-four model) and the yard was rented off British Waterways. Regards to all, Haddy, Gt. Yarmouth.

Oh Iv’e just remembered another haulier from the Leicester area, Roadways of Bagworth (I think) and they pulled for Norfolk Line out of GY. They ran Atkinson Borderers and the colour was pink----YES PINK. A bloke called Dennis drove for them.

Hi haddy, interesting article, because when my grandad left W Smith haulage of leicester he went to work for his mate who at the time was an owner driver. He at the time had an old seddon unit which iirc had a 150 gardner in it, he sold the seddon momentarily, (because he bought it back a while later for sentimental reasons), and they ran 2 units an Atki RNR 817H and an ERF LV OEW 547J, Which my grandad drove with me along side most weekends and holidays. Sorry to drift, but they ran out of the old lorry park in bradgate st for a while then moved to the memory lane yard belgrave. Now the Graham ? you metioned could be Graham Martin, the owner driver, its poss. This was about 1974/5 ish
As for Brian Laywood, i used to work with him at Widdowsons about 15yrs ago just before he retired. Think he used to work for Hercocks in the late 70s as well

This one of my Grandad Bill Pacey in his Leyland Marathon DLG 370S, at Parker Plant pinfold rd depot thurmaston, the machine he picked up was 65ft long.

And this one was taken a few years earlier just leaving Parker Plants main depot in leicester on catherine st. My grandad is in the ERF LV, OEW 547J And Graham Martin the Gaffer is in the Atki RNR 817H, both Gardner 180s.

I worked for pinnacle for years I drove the F88 VFP621S and then CNR276T F10 then I had YFP490Y the first Merc 1633 twin turbo in the country then B290JRA a MAN 321, they had 3 16ton mercs 2 17 ton MANs and the first MAN 361 in the country plus a 7.5 ton fiat and a 7.5 tom MAN and a LT35 van that we all use to fight over to go abroad in, the good old days. B752GRC MAN 321 was on the Zeebrugger ferry that went down and my uncle Jeff the curlly hard Jordie was driving it and he is my uncle by marrige and now works for Stobarts bless him, I cannot remember when NT Motors packed in what a impeckable fleet as I remember them spotless. CNR276T I bought when Pinnicle sold it and kept it untill mid 90’s I could not bear to see it go, the F88 was written off in Spain and do not know what happened to the others, the early days were Charlie,Mick,Polly, Kev,Speaky and then much later was colin, Jeff and then I lost touch, I have some pictures but do not know how to get them on here.

gunnerheskey:

Beetie:

Think NT Motors finished about 27/30yrs ago,
Venture forwarding took over Rucks transport who themselves were in with palletforce, hence the colour scheme.
Be great if you could speak with your friends dad to see if he has any priceless pics of the Pinnacle fleet. When i first passed my test in 1990 that was the first firm i drove an artic for, a B-reg M.A.N in the old blue colour scheme just before they went silver with dark blue lettering. I also used to work for AML Transport of wigston and we used to do a hell of a lot of traction for Pinnacle, including change overs at dover when they used to turn there drivers back round. I always remember one of their drivers, a geordie lad, curly hair, good laugh too.

Hi Phantom,
Those 2 early m.a.ns that pinnacle had, i’m sure one was a 4x2 and one was a 6x2 twinsteer unit, i may be wrong, but the 4x2 blue one was the 1st ever artic i ever drove legaly on agency . John Cass was the transport manager then. I’m sure Anstey Haulage bought the 6x2 m.a.n after pinnacle finished with it.
When i was on AML we used to do quite a bit of traction for Pinnacle, and i always remember being told one afternoon to go down to pinnacle unit only to do a dover change over with Jeff. When i got down to dover i met Jeff, swapped notes and trailers and he had his nephew with him called Terry, i take it he’s related to you. I then had to deliver 4 drops lincs then drop Terry off home at Mowmacre hill estate.
Was Charlie the driver who ended up being a copper. And was speaky a tall thin bloke with a white beard… ?

Yes Terry is my cousin, charlie did go in the police with me but it was not for me and Dave was the thin guy with the beard he worked on Hercocks for years then he had the F12 on Kinchs for Atkins at derby after leaving a company out Syston way.The silver MAN was the 361 and the 4x2 was my old 321that was blue, I remember AML trucks so we would most likley know each other. When I left pinnacle I started on my own and bought an ex Redland Bison and worked out of Mountsorrel then progressed to a nearly new FL10 and two F10’s and one F12 one of the F10’s being CNR276T that I drove myself abroad.

gunnerheskey:
Hi Phantom,
Those 2 early m.a.ns that pinnacle had, i’m sure one was a 4x2 and one was a 6x2 twinsteer unit, i may be wrong, but the 4x2 blue one was the 1st ever artic i ever drove legaly on agency . John Cass was the transport manager then. I’m sure Anstey Haulage bought the 6x2 m.a.n after pinnacle finished with it.
When i was on AML we used to do quite a bit of traction for Pinnacle, and i always remember being told one afternoon to go down to pinnacle unit only to do a dover change over with Jeff. When i got down to dover i met Jeff, swapped notes and trailers and he had his nephew with him called Terry, i take it he’s related to you. I then had to deliver 4 drops lincs then drop Terry off home at Mowmacre hill estate.
Was Charlie the driver who ended up being a copper. And was speaky a tall thin bloke with a white beard… ?

Hi phantom, i was in Pinnacles yard one afternoon, waiting for one of their trailers to be loaded to do a dover change over, and Truck Magazine photographers were there as a subbie called Simon Sargent from Atherstone had just bought a brand new Renault Magnum and Truck mag were there to photograph its maiden journey, pulling a pinnacle trailer abroad. Obviously his trailer got priority but we all ended up leaving together about 4.30-ish, me in my Iveco E766 MMK, an ex russell davies and still in his livery just with the name painted out. My 1st lorry for AML was the one on the far end C66 SBC, then i had the Iveco E766 MMK, then the roadtrain with the cats on G250 UNR.

Anyone remember or got any pictures of WESMORE Haulage from Enderby? Used to run Foden and Leyland tippers

Cheers :wink:

Hi phantom, i was in Pinnacles yard one afternoon, waiting for one of their trailers to be loaded to do a dover change over, and Truck Magazine photographers were there as a subbie called Simon Sargent from Atherstone had just bought a brand new Renault Magnum and Truck mag were there to photograph its maiden journey, pulling a pinnacle trailer abroad. Obviously his trailer got priority but we all ended up leaving together about 4.30-ish, me in my Iveco E766 MMK, an ex russell davies and still in his livery just with the name painted out. My 1st lorry for AML was the one on the far end C66 SBC, then i had the Iveco E766 MMK, then the roadtrain with the cats on G250 UNR.

OOP ! DE JA VU, ( hic )… :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing: :blush:

Hello Gunnerhesky, I don’t think we are talking about the same Graham. The one who worked for us went to Widdowsons after Perfects shut the Leicester depot and he would be long retired by now. Brian Laywood went to Hercocks for a few years. I didn’t know he finished up with Widdowsons. I wonder if he is still around, Regards, Haddy, Gt.Yarmouth.

haddy:
Hello Gunnerhesky, I don’t think we are talking about the same Graham. The one who worked for us went to Widdowsons after Perfects shut the Leicester depot and he would be long retired by now. Brian Laywood went to Hercocks for a few years. I didn’t know he finished up with Widdowsons. I wonder if he is still around, Regards, Haddy, Gt.Yarmouth.

Haddy, is the Graham your on about , Graham Summers.
When i started on Widdowsons in 95 there was a Graham summers on there, think he retired in about 96/97 along with Brian Laywood. Both were on 4 wheelers by then… There was a few old ex Hercocks drivers on Widdosons then…