Leicester's Bygone's

gickniff:

gunnerheskey:
Yes mate, White Renaults, green writing…
Remember Garners Transport from coalville. Used to work with a few of their ex drivers at Widdo’s.

Remember them well ! Used to work for an ex partner of the firm Barry Bishop good bloke just couldn’t get used to his style of working! But I enjoyed the roping and sheeting !

Alright Nick !
I used to see Barry Bishops in TI Tubes desford, met Barry a few times he seems like a decent bloke, also the little bloke with the tash that drives for Barry, used to drive for Garners !

i knew david garner well,he used to pull for ub at ashby,he always used to get his trucks second hand from asfordby haulage mainly volvos with the odd scania thrown in,i can remember going down the m42 early one morning and seeing one of his erfs sat on top of the barrier totally wrecked,the driver i think ended up a few years later after david finished shunting for ub at ashby.

rich12:
i knew david garner well,he used to pull for ub at ashby,he always used to get his trucks second hand from asfordby haulage mainly volvos with the odd scania thrown in,i can remember going down the m42 early one morning and seeing one of his erfs sat on top of the barrier totally wrecked,the driver i think ended up a few years later after david finished shunting for ub at ashby.

Thats right rich12, i remember talking to 1 of their drivers and he told me they were all ex Asfordby’s !
There’s an owner driver running around with one of Garners old trailers still…

Hi gunnerheskey.
Slightly off topic, but I remember your grandad, Bill Pacey and his wife Chris. She was French if I recall. My dad was Stodge who you referred to in another post. I can recall Bill coming into Pickfords in Blaby where I would sometimes load / unload him using the old Rapier mobile crane, the Iron Fairy or the overhead crane. I used to enjoy driving these, especially as I was only about 17 or 18 at that time.

Dave

eddie55:
Hi gunnerheskey.
Slightly off topic, but I remember your grandad, Bill Pacey and his wife Chris. She was French if I recall. My dad was Stodge who you referred to in another post. I can recall Bill coming into Pickfords in Blaby where I would sometimes load / unload him using the old Rapier mobile crane, the Iron Fairy or the overhead crane. I used to enjoy driving these, especially as I was only about 17 or 18 at that time.

Dave

Hi Dave, yes my Nanny was french, our paths must’ve crossed sometime or other. as i used to go into Pickfords with him in Blaby. I remember your dad very well !
Didn’t they have 2 big scammell crusader 6x4s ?

gunnerheskey:

gickniff:

gunnerheskey:
Yes mate, White Renaults, green writing…
Remember Garners Transport from coalville. Used to work with a few of their ex drivers at Widdo’s.

Remember them well ! Used to work for an ex partner of the firm Barry Bishop good bloke just couldn’t get used to his style of working! But I enjoyed the roping and sheeting !

Alright Nick !
I used to see Barry Bishops in TI Tubes desford, met Barry a few times he seems like a decent bloke, also the little bloke with the tash that drives for Barry, used to drive for Garners !

Sorry for the late reply glen! Yes Barry is a great chap he’s the good lady wife’s uncle I did a year for him after Sherwood’s and before selbys ,I used to have to wait for the phone to ring in the morning before I could start I used to dread the phone ringing after 1pm! And yes the little chap with the tash worked for garners , Graham was his name I think he was good at moaning .

Hi Gunnerheskey,
I’m sure our paths must have crossed too. They did have the 6 x 4’s, in fact that was the wagon Stodge drove for years as he used to tow the really heavy loads around the country. When I was about 10 or 11, I would often go with him if he was “local”. I even got to drive it a couple of times too. (Well, sit on his knee and steer !). Not on the road though. Great fun.

Cheers for now,
Dave

big jer:
has anyone got any photos of cobley transport from the early days? i think they used to be called c&j transport ?

Spoke to the boss who’s noticed this thread and he said he’s got some pics somewhere and he’ll try to dig them out…

Who remembers cosby’s finest

More of walkers

Fine firm

A Walkers tanker

i can remember Walker’s F88’s flying around Gunner! :smiley: i still see one of their retired drivers around our village…Dave Hilton.i also worked with another,Geoff Widdowson.i also knew Roger Mead (R.I.P.),who used to drive an Atki artic.

I remember My dad telling me that the owner of A M Walker was an old lady years ago who had the reputation of being hard to work for .

robinswh:
I remember My dad telling me that the owner of A M Walker was an old lady years ago who had the reputation of being hard to work for .

yes…‘Ma’ Walker…but my dad said she wouldn’t ask a driver to do something she wouldn’t be prepared to do herself.i think she was a legend in her day.

carryfast-yeti:
i can remember Walker’s F88’s flying around Gunner! :smiley: i still see one of their retired drivers around our village…Dave Hilton.i also worked with another,Geoff Widdowson.i also knew Roger Mead (R.I.P.),who used to drive an Atki artic.

I can remember them very well carryfast-yeti, Cambridge road in Cosby, as you come from whetstone past Hewitts yard under the old railway bridge on the right, it’s a housing estate now, I remember my grandads mate drove an F7 for them, Ernie murgatroyd ! Then it was taken over in the late 80s by Harris road services of northwich !

I know it’s Leicester bygones but, these are still going, in fact I had an enjoyable year working there doing uk & European

Did they( Walkers ) run out of the Carlsberg brewery in Northampton mid 70’s ?

boris:
Did they( Walkers ) run out of the Carlsberg brewery in Northampton mid 70’s ?

Yes they did boris !

Yeah i thought i remember seeing them in the brewery in the days when Bulwarks seddons had the contract