Leicester's Bygone's

Re foden artics at ARC. When I was in the garage at Whitwick I did a few head gaskets on the 680s I think they were Foden S39 semi tilt cab,had to take off the bonnet covers and the radiator. First one I did didn’t know the bonnet covers had to come off till I heard the fiberglass cracking in the cab.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

nick lambden:
Yes mate .They had a big tonnage every day .I remember Tallis and Crsswell .I bought the diesel storage tank from them and a wheel nut gun when they finished. Eric was a hard man to deal with.when l worked for Bexton a guy cannot remember his name used to park on the pub next door. He had a S 20 Foden 8wheeler cut down and converted to a tractor unit. It had a bulk trailer.

The pub was the Corner Pin, can’t recall the Foden,do recall the landlady run off with one of the regulars, the landlord tracked em down to the east coast n killed him.

Wow that’s an interesting event. I ment the Waggon on London road,next to Bexton and Smith yard. Think he was married to one of Smith’s daughter. He had a polish name.

Hi these pictures are first new Babbitless crusher loaded on one of the Pickford’s trailer’s in France . Second delivered to Bardon trailer loaded for return to Pickford’s empty.

One of six Albion Rievers 6 wheeler’s supplied by Ford and Slater’s Leics. They were G reg so must have been,1968 69.

View from the drivers cab of a Euston Bucyrus RB loading a Euclid at Bardon quarry.

Sorry should be Ruston.

Euclid I used to ride in at Bardon when I was a kid. No way now.

carryfast-yeti:

windrush:

coomsey:
Mountsorrel fella was he not ?

Yes, and a very good Speedway rider (the ‘man in the spotless white shirt’) as well. He also kept the Post Office in Wymeswold.

Pete.

i believe Ivor’s son,Ant Brown,is still driving a truck out of Mountsorrel

He used to sometimes park up in Elliott’s yard too

nick lambden:
Euclid I used to ride in at Bardon when I was a kid. No way now.

the magnificent Euclid’s :smiley: i remember them working in Enderby quarry,when i was a kid.one of the old driver’s is still about,and everytime i see him he tells me how old he is :laughing:

ERF Lover:

carryfast-yeti:

windrush:

coomsey:
Mountsorrel fella was he not ?

Yes, and a very good Speedway rider (the ‘man in the spotless white shirt’) as well. He also kept the Post Office in Wymeswold.

Pete.

i believe Ivor’s son,Ant Brown,is still driving a truck out of Mountsorrel

He used to sometimes park up in Elliott’s yard too

Looks like a Nottingham City Transport AEC Regent in the background :wink: . Ro

Warner’s at field head was taken over by a speedway rider, is that the same person.

ERF-NGC-European:

In which case my brother may well have occupied the pilot’s seat at one time or another. After giving in to his then wife’s demand that he give up long distance lorries he got what was to be his last job on there. Once, in a moment of madness, I allowed him to persuade me to go for a test. They gave me an Atlantean and I was doing fine but, unused to the set back front axle in relation to the driving position, I just clipped a kerb on a corner. Nevertheless I thought I was ok as I had done a perfect mirror reverse round a 90 degree kerb keeping precisely the same distance from it. But they said no, you touched a kerb, no 2nd chances. :unamused: BTW, brother got his own back on wife by graduating to long distance coaches. :laughing:

Re Enderby quarry .When I was on muck away on the Leicester ring road in the 80s we were tipping in Enderby quarry. We had to drive down a very steep road into the quarry .It was a big quarry. Think is was about half full then.

Spardo:

ERF-NGC-European:

In which case my brother may well have occupied the pilot’s seat at one time or another. After giving in to his then wife’s demand that he give up long distance lorries he got what was to be his last job on there. Once, in a moment of madness, I allowed him to persuade me to go for a test. They gave me an Atlantean and I was doing fine but, unused to the set back front axle in relation to the driving position, I just clipped a kerb on a corner. Nevertheless I thought I was ok as I had done a perfect mirror reverse round a 90 degree kerb keeping precisely the same distance from it. But they said no, you touched a kerb, no 2nd chances. :unamused: BTW, brother got his own back on wife by graduating to long distance coaches. :laughing:

Long distance coaches…lol :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

David

5thwheel:

Spardo:

ERF-NGC-European:

Long distance coaches…lol :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

David

Yes, although he didn’t get back on continental and the basic rate was lower, he more than made up for it in tips. But the best thing was his strike out for independence from his wife. She did not last long however :laughing: , for one thing she refused to get rid of the cats even after he was diagnosed allergic to them, but when he got a new one, he stayed on the buses, the pension you see :unamused: :laughing:

nick lambden:
Re Enderby quarry .When I was on muck away on the Leicester ring road in the 80s we were tipping in Enderby quarry. We had to drive down a very steep road into the quarry .It was a big quarry. Think is was about half full then.

yes,that was the last of the 4 Enderby quarries,all filled in now.i was the 4th generation of our family to work in or out of the village quarries,and when my son left school his 1st job was in one of the little units on the quarry site…so 5th generation :smiley: …sort of

Hi .Two trucks Days of Andover where my grandfather worked as a clerk. Would be in the 30s . I think one is a ford.Not sure if they are still going they had some bulk tippers.

Bardon quarry,John Neal pictures

Great pictures.The slab yard at Bardon would have been late 60s early 70s. The Dodge K1050 was F reg I think. In the early days the fork lifts had mechanical scan lift grabs .When in bardon garage I worked on the Dodge.