Leicester's Bygone's

DEANB:
Advert from 1961.

Click on page twice.

Still going ? Never knew they had a garage in Grimsby, anyone know why?

hey coomsey…you seem a very knowledgeable chap…do you know the ‘official’ colour of the old Redland fleet? i’ve been told it is ‘cockpit green’,but that shade dosen’t look right to me.i could wait till the next reunion and ask Mr Greatbatch…but meanwhile i have a couple of my grandsons toys i want to restore in Redland colours :slight_smile:

carryfast-yeti:
hey coomsey…you seem a very knowledgeable chap…do you know the ‘official’ colour of the old Redland fleet? i’ve been told it is ‘cockpit green’,but that shade dosen’t look right to me.i could wait till the next reunion and ask Mr Greatbatch…but meanwhile i have a couple of my grandsons toys i want to restore in Redland colours :slight_smile:

Sorry C Y couldn’t tell you, just lights green to me. Knowledgeable ■■ Never been accused of that before :smiley: :smiley:
Cheers Coomsey

coomsey:

carryfast-yeti:

Sorry C Y couldn’t tell you, just lights green to me. Knowledgeable ■■ Never been accused of that before :smiley: :smiley:
Cheers Coomsey

:laughing: ok mate cheers

Rest period! Nmp

6x4-truck-photo-Meynell-Plant-Hire-Leyland-Constructor.jpg
Is this crowd a bygone yet? They used to run a few out of Cliffe Hill , Bisons,then had a couple of F86 6whlrs , possibly the first of the foreign lorries to use the quarry.

Meynells still going strong! i’ve done few shifts for them,10 or so years ago.decent outfit to work for.

They used to be called MPH…back in the day

FB_IMG_1577558790582.jpg
Remember when they had Bisons out of ARC Groby, I only did one load out of there bit of an odd set up in there.

FB_IMG_1577893421242.jpg
Taken at their yard in Ibstock, couple of nice motors in the background !

Almost identical to the Maudsley my dad drove at whitwick granite from 1951 to 1964 (HAY492) took this from another thread .

img954.jpg

robinswh:
Almost identical to the Maudsley my dad drove at whitwick granite from 1951 to 1964 (HAY492) took this from another thread .

Smart motor Wayne !

FB_IMG_1577557634404.jpg
Mountsorrel fella was he not ?

coomsey:

Yes, and a very good Speedway rider (the ‘man in the spotless white shirt’) as well. He also kept the Post Office in Wymeswold.

Pete.

windrush:

coomsey:

Yes, and a very good Speedway rider (the ‘man in the spotless white shirt’) as well. He also kept the Post Office in Wymeswold.

Pete.

i believe Ivor’s son,Ant Brown,is still driving a truck out of Mountsorrel

windrush:

coomsey:

Pete.

Don’t remember, but I probably met him then. I used to be a regular in the Windmill pub, as a member of their petanque team. The landlord, Joe was Maltese. Next door to the pub was a retired couple, he dabbled in the stockmarket, as did I at the time, and I recommended him to Asda when it was down in the dumps. I didn’t back them, but he did, before the price went sky high. He thought I was a real expert after that. If I had been, I would have backed them myself. :blush:

Here is one older than me

.Sentinel%20DG6,Side%20Tipper-Bodied,Chain%20Drive,6x4,Steam%20Lorry,W,E,C%20No.8378,UT%207903,Leicester,10-1930,John%20G.Shields,Breedon.jpg

robinswh:
Here is one older than me

Proper motor Wayne, I wonder if she’d have been Breedon red

Knew a few of their drivers back in the 70s mix of tippers n flats,all Akkys then

They had a large fleet of green Leyland comets mainly flatbeds in the 1960 s never liked them their drivers wouldn’t give me a lift when I thumbed it from coalville to ashby on my journey to school.