Leicester's Bygone's

I just found some interesting pictures on flickr of blockleys transport of Heather leicestershire.They are available on peterslorries photostream or petersownvintagelorries.There are also pictures of fletchers of Ibstock on the big lorry blog.Wayne Robinson

i was at Wesmore’s yesterday and told main man Phil (West) about this forum,and he has lent me a set of archive photo’s of Wesmore Haulage in the early days to post.will sort it out soon!

Spotted this at bruntingthorpe the other week. Princes took over Hamblins transport of Abbey lane. And iirc Hamblins was part of the Pointer group…!!
A bloke called Kelvin used to drive this…

Murphy bros’. A big firm from Thurmaston leicester, their yard was situated next to walkers crisp old place, Pickerings bodyshop is in there now.

has anyone got any photos of cobley transport from the early days? i think they used to be called c&j transport ?

big jer:
has anyone got any photos of cobley transport from the early days? i think they used to be called c&j transport ?

Are you on for Cobley’s at Thatcham big jer ?
My mate drives for them out of Broughton !!

yep started at thatcham depot in may.i was talking to pete cobley the other day and he was saying how he used to stand by the road and watch a.m walkers trucks go through there village years ago when he was a school kid

A M Walkers had a big fleet in cosby at one time, some good pics of their Atki’s on page 1. Still looking for some of the pics of their volvo’s in the new orange livery.

hi wayne,
you are certainly correct and your dad was in the weighbridge in the rear of the photos at the time, the loader driver is norman murby, we played some rotten tricks on the good old boy.

my dad has some old pictures of cobleys when he was on there late 80 s a flat cab f12 that was a globey but went down on the ferry n was recabbed ond a old 113 small cab scanny i ll see if i can borrow em big jer

wardg:

gunnerheskey:
Hi wardg, you mention Frank R Sandham, he had 2 ERF artics and 1 iveco 4 wheeler, they used to park up at treetops bruntingthorpe. At the time i was on for AML Transport and when Frank Sandham finished we bought a unit and trailer XRY 836Y with a 290 ■■■■■■■ in it. His lad Andre R Sandham drove the other E355 SRY. I actually had the pleasure of driving XRY 836Y for a couple of months. Remember seeing Neil Harbys turbostar and scanny. White with blue writing.

Not got those 2 Sandhams, the only 2 on my records are HPV 191Y & E340 LAY, still depended on what was passing by when I was doing my paperround! Neil Harbys Ivecos were pretty much like the demonstrator livery, I’ve got noted G499 BVN, G821 APY, H305 EAY & M716 HRY (Eurotech); Scania’s L12 TLS & L993 HDC and even a Foden H123 RWJ

my dad drove for neal harby drove the turbo star and turbo tech out of the quarry tightest man walking he says

claytons transport
smiths
whites Express
british shoe

STEVE OWEN:

gunnerheskey:
As Federated got a mention i thought i’d post this. As i can just about remember their yard in Mkt Harborough & at treetops bruntingthorpe. They also had a small yard in nicholls st leics.

Nice one gunner, if only we could move the back of the trailer over to see the reg plate on the transcon!
The scania in your profile pic, was the trailer used for waste food?

Hi Guys

I know this one goes back a few years but I don’t log on very often. The tanscon pictured behind Allan McClain’s ERF is VAY 697S
(the only one we had with an air horn ) it belonged to owner driver John Debenham.

mart1n:

STEVE OWEN:

gunnerheskey:
As Federated got a mention i thought i’d post this. As i can just about remember their yard in Mkt Harborough & at treetops bruntingthorpe. They also had a small yard in nicholls st leics.

Nice one gunner, if only we could move the back of the trailer over to see the reg plate on the transcon!

Hi Guys

I know this one goes back a few years but I don’t log on very often. The tanscon pictured behind Allan McClain’s ERF is VAY 697S
(the only one we had with an air horn ) it belonged to owner driver John Debenham.

Nice one mart1n, wich depot was it from, and how many did they have ?

Hi. Just a long shot, can anybody remember RED MACE from Whitwick■■? my dad worked there in the 80’s, he drove an F7 8 wheeler on nights :smiley:

gunnerheskey:

mart1n:

STEVE OWEN:

gunnerheskey:

Hi Guys

it ran out of Farndon Rd Mkt Harborough, first one we got was LJU 500P in 74/75, I suppose we must have had 10 to 15 over the next 5 years ,
R S and T reg, mostly with 335 ■■■■■■■ engines but some with 290s. The one in the picture was the only one to require a new engine.
I only have memory to work from but if it helps I will work on all the reg numbers when I get a chance. (still working i’m sorry to say)

mart1n:

gunnerheskey:

mart1n:

STEVE OWEN:

gunnerheskey:

Subject:

Hi Guys

it ran out of Farndon Rd Mkt Harborough, first one we got was LJU 500P in 74/75, I suppose we must have had 10 to 15 over the next 5 years ,
R S and T reg, mostly with 335 ■■■■■■■ engines but some with 290s. The one in the picture was the only one to require a new engine.
I only have memory to work from but if it helps I will work on all the reg numbers when I get a chance. (still working i’m sorry to say)

Who actually owned Federated Transport, and where did they originate from.
Was Federated scrap anything to do with them ?

another one to add is Squires Logistics at Enderby,who just packed up tail-end of 2012.

Didn’t realise squires had had enough, what happened to the t cab?

Didn’t realise squires had had enough, what happened to the t cab?