Leicester's Bygone's

Beetie:

gunnerheskey:

Beetie:

gunnerheskey:
One for " Beetie "

I’m sure I posted that! Its on the website, i’ve got the original pic on my desk as we speak! :wink:

Fairly do’s. Which web site ?

Lol no worries post away! I’m sure that’s on the company website I’ll take a ganders in a min…
Love the ma walkers stuff being from cosby…

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

ah,Ma Walker…what a legend she was when i was a lad!

Panic Link Lount near Ashby de la zouch, yes I’m in the picture lol

tango boy:
0Panic Link Lount near Ashby de la zouch, yes I’m in the picture lol

i’m guessing you’re the big lad bang in the middle? :slight_smile:

carryfast-yeti:

tango boy:

F*** off

tango boy:

carryfast-yeti:

tango boy:

F*** off

:laughing:

carryfast-yeti:

tango boy:

carryfast-yeti:

tango boy:

F*** off

:laughing:

That picture is 20 years old

just bought the new edition of ‘Classic Truck’,today,and a 2 page article in the Letters page on the legend herself…Ma Walker!..including a photo of the great woman at the wheel of an old 8-wheeler :smiley:

Cor,I’d forgotten half those firms existed.

My first memory of my father being a lorry driver was driving his own wagon,a little snub nosed 30bhp petrol Ford tipper on “C” contract pulling “Oggin”,a mixture of ungraded,unwashed sand and gravel ,from Welford Gravels the ten miles or so to Bruntingthorpe Aerodrome along the old A50 to extend the runway for the USAAF.
1954 perhaps?
Ther used to be a lavender blue caravan parked on a lay-bye just north of Husbands Bosworth that did tea,sandwiches etc. and this eventually became the Lavender Blue Cafe of fond memory.

My father then drove a Dennis 6-wheeler for Joe Coleman of Oadby on an “A” license.
We would say goodbye on a Sunday night and sometimes didn’t see him for a fortnight and when he’d come back he’d spend the first day filling out his "logbook"from a series of scribbled notes.
Tramping he’d call it.

Next firm was Federated Conveyors of Market Harborough where he drove an Perkins P6 engined S-type Bedford artic with a BTC trailer.

And after that he became involved with Marjorie Bottoms who ran a fleet of cream coloured wagons usually on coal/coke contracts including some of the very early Guy Invincibles c/w twin headlights,really cool!

JP.

I remember the lavender café but had forgotten the name…I went in there with my dad as a kid. There was also one on the main old road through uppingham (A47) now a Chinese takeaway

Lavender Blue cafe was still there in the early/mid-'80’s…used to go in there now and then when i was with Carryfast at North Kilworth.it’s a rather nice house now!

robinswh:
I remember the lavender café but had forgotten the name…I went in there with my dad as a kid. There was also one on the main old road through uppingham (A47) now a Chinese takeaway

one of my regulars, good cafe never knew the name. You needed a cuppa after going up Wardley hill. The fastest I ever hit were 65mph still in crawler 1/2 way up

Just remembered the only time I used crawler on Foden 12sp . All models in the 70s including 240

here is whats left of the uppingham cafe

Carryfast in North Kilworth,was that the old United Dairies site,opposite the railway station.

My uncle who lived at Dairy Cottages worked for United driving a Bedford S-type,grey livery as I recall.

JP.

jp1147:
Carryfast in North Kilworth,was that the old United Dairies site,opposite the railway station.

My uncle who lived at Dairy Cottages worked for United driving a Bedford S-type,grey livery as I recall.

JP.

yes mate,that’s the place.Bob Allen,our old foreman at Carryfast,still lives at Dairy Cottages.

robinswh:
here is whats left of the uppingham cafe0

hi W shame but thats how they end up now. Another well used by me were 1/2 way down hill at Midway, thats a chinky as well,n one in Measham, Cypriot fella kept it I think, housing estate. Paul

Bob Allen,I’m sure he was a mate of my Father’s.

Do you know if he ever worked for Parker Plant in Leicester?

JP.

jp1147:
Bob Allen,I’m sure he was a mate of my Father’s.

Do you know if he ever worked for Parker Plant in Leicester?

JP.

no idea…but i shall ask him next time that i’m out that way :slight_smile:

not a Bygone…but i heard today EE Spencer’s have been taken over…any info. anyone please?