LDD - Richard's Bay to Lephalale

Buycrider:
I,m following your route on Google Earth. It is superb.

Oh good, it’s not just me then. :blush: :blush: :wink: :smiley:

Rob just got up and switched on the PC and what do I see
you have posted more about your trip this is great and I will
have to copy the others who are following via goggle earth
by the I think you should talk to Coffeeholic as I believe that
you could do a book about this trip and it would sell,thanks
a wonderful post keep on posting please.

Great thread Rob, keep it going please :smiley:

When I had my class 1 I used to do heavy haulage work (small loads compared to this) and always found it fascinating to watch the real big boys at work.

As Pete says get it made into a book, I for one will order an advance copy.

Brilliant diary i gotta say. One thing though, just think how much better they’ll be when they’ve got their CPC. :unamused: :unamused:
I mean, who the hell will/can stand in front of these blokes and tell them how to do their job?

better than a book i think it would make ecxcellent documentary for tv channel

robv8 thank you for posting this .Absolutely incredible-good comment from Dai Dap.

Coffeeholic and BritPete-are you able to see this in real time on Google Earth? If so I would dearly love to be ‘sad’ as well. :slight_smile:

@sir+ sorry you have to ask one of the PC experts
I have only, right this moment put google earth on. and I am
what’s know as a PC illiterate,sorry

topmixer11:

You are dead right there tm11. It would be a major improvement on Ice Road Truckers. :bulb: :bulb: We could stick Coffeeholic in the spare seat in the back pusher, and he could do the filming and the commentary. He could then download it all later, and Bingo!! the next book. Simples :laughing: :laughing:

Buycrider:

topmixer11:

You are dead right there tm11. It would be a major improvement on Ice Road Truckers. :bulb: :bulb: We could stick Coffeeholic in the spare seat in the back pusher, and he could do the filming and the commentary. He could then download it all later, and Bingo!! the next book. Simples :laughing: :laughing:

And the next video, or 20. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for that I really enjoyed it and hope to see some more. I’m glad you posted the map as until you mentioned Swaziland I didn’t have a clue where you were.
I’ve got to say as a releative newby driver i find this stuff facinating :open_mouth:

Sir +:
Coffeeholic and BritPete-are you able to see this in real time on Google Earth?

No, you can just follow the route. This for instance is the Google Earth view of the Mahamba border crossing which was mentioned.

Thanks for that Coffeeholic.I thought realtime would be expensive,but I claim britpete’s computer illiterate
defence as well.Looking forward to the next posting by robv8 though.

24/02/2010

I think at this stage I forgot to take as many photos in favour of sun bathing on the trailer. The blow outs had amounted to roughly 50-60 so far on the trip, all on the rear Nicolas trailer with inner tubes, compared to the front Goldhofer trailer with tubeless not a single whiff of a flat for the whole trip.

25/02/2010
No trace of this day even existed in photos. Just know we passed through the town of Modimolle.

26/02/2010

Another very steep hill just before Vaalwater, all the trucks to the front pulling. It was threating to rain, as soon as raindrops hit the road its like ice, loose all grip and end up at the bottom of the hill with a turbine in bits.
The strain took its toll on one of the Fauns engines, just as we pulled into the laybye for the weekend in Vaalwater push rod went ping, all the ■■■■■■■ dealerships had closed for the weekend and would still need 24 hours to get the spare part out of the stores when they opened on Monday morning, no good when we are due in site on Tuesday.

WOW! :open_mouth:

01/03/2010
The decision was taken to complete the route without the third Faun, the project engineer and driver drove to Johannesburg and pestered ■■■■■■■ to get the spare push rod and would catch us up on site.

Final laybye before entering site.

02/03/2010

Nearly a month on the road and we finally arrive at site. Packed off the girder beams with timber packing for the night and changed some tyres, while the driver went onto site to check the road in and unloading area.

excellent post thanks very much now a few questions#
why can you not put tubeless tyres on the trailer that is
giving problems with its tyres , and the second question is
did you by any chance take pictures of the repair to the faun
with the damaged push rod, THANKS ONCE AGAIN FOR YOUR TIME AND TROUBLE TO POST THIS LDD, it is one of the best up there with
Neil from Iran, and Coffeeholics selection, ta very much.

Botswana over there in the distance.

On to Medupi power station, huge site full of cranes from Mammoet and Sarens.

Megalift rebuilt for unloading. Full PPE in 35 degrees of course.

Pulling the split trailer from under the suspended turbine.

Couple the front of the trailer back on and out the site on the Friday night.

Mammoets mighty OAF 700bhp 8x8 huge v12 with straight through pipes.

Pulled the outfit out of the power station and put the repaired Faun back on the front, tied axles up on the rear trailer to avoid blowouts and most importantly fly our Union flag from the top of the trailer.