LDD - Richards Bay to Lephalale again

After 5 months and well over 1000 photos taken in the great RSA and Swaziland, im back from 2 round trips to the town of Lephalale (Ellisras). Our first load was a Siemens 351t transformer destined for Medupi power station, but will be staged across the road in Matimba power station until they need it. The ship from Germany was due in the 10th of August at Richards Bay docks, with Rotran loading from the same ship. First job was to put the trailers back under the girder set and pack everything ready for the 30km drive to Richards Bay from our game reserve parking in Empangeni.

The 3 Goliaths would bring it down, while 2 Faun SLT are clearing customs in Durban docks down the coast.

Using the John Ross highway.

Took us around 3 hours to complete the journey with KwaZulu-Natal traffic police all the way. Arrived at the dock gates with security unaware of our arrival and barriers still bolted firmly to the ground.

We squeezed in and got to the front of the que on the abnormal waiting laybye. With 2 Rotran girder sets parked up awaiting their next loads in the following weeks.

We learned here that the ship would now be delayed by 10 days. Due to the last moved was a stator carried on the girder set beams, the transformer we will be loading on the 20th will be wider and be carried on crossbeams (pictures to follow).

Joined later with another Rotran 12 row lightweight Nicolas. Loading a 140t transformer off the same boat.

Taking the 3 Fauns to drain the BP.

Vanguard had joined us on the harbour with 3 Titans and a 3 file 8 bed 8 Goldhofer to load a 220t transformer for Secunda substation.

The day before the ship berthed, we pulled the outfit on the quayside with just the one Faun.

Our ship.

The super strong crossbeams, 8 of them bolted to the transport beams with a layer of rubber layed on top. Eskom require all of their equipment has to be carried on rubber.

Rotran eventually made the effort.

Wow !! Well cool :smiley:

No matter how many times you post these sort of pictures it’s still impressive.

I think this one sums it up quite well, that box looks a matchbox. :astonished:

Nice one Rob

Wow again! I said on the last post that it was topic of the year, and here we have more pictures :smiley: Incredible stuff !

Many Thanks ,it is a pleasure to see that the transport of
heavy equipment being moved ,and that a multinational
collection of experience is doing it, It is nice to see ALE
up there in the forefront showing how the job is to be done
I so hope that some one is making sure of a DVD film of
this work is being filmed as I am sure it would sell well
and if they could do it set up that the speech was in ENGLISH
and have say 5–10 other languages as sub titles it would be a seller
and would do well also in USA & Canadafor example,
looking forward to your next post , once again thank you very much
for sharing this with all of us here on TRUCKNETUK,

Superb pics. Thanks!

The next morning we moved into the middle of the quay and prepared to weight the trailer, each file of axles needs to be weighed 3 times to gather a accurate measurement of gross weight. We are provided a maximum weight deemed necessary by the road authorities, if we come in over this, they wont grant us a movement permit.

12 chains overall used to restrain the transformer, while Rotrans insurance states that a chain is used for every 10t of the load they carry. For instance if they move a 420t transformer, 42 chains will be applied.

Our ship Beluga Constellation prepares to leave the berth.

Graham Booth pulling the outfit off the quay and back to the abnormal load laybe.

Rotran are all ready to leave, this is destined for the same power station as us, but will be using a different route, longer but avoids the steep inclines of Swaziland. Due to the government strikes during August, our dates for Police ■■■■■■ was unclear and always changing. Rotran were first to leave with the Police ■■■■■■ on Tuesday 24th August, as they would be heading towards Empangeni and up into the mountains of Melmoth (and be parked here for nearly a week due to the strikes) and rejoin our route in Piet Retief. Our route would be straight out of Richards Bay and towards Nseleni, and join the N2 highway towards Pongola. We were eventually given the 25th at 8am to move out of the docks and meet with KwaZulu-Natal police outside.

The two Faun SLT arrived and were emptied of spare parts that were packed in the ballast box and both put at the back with A-frames between them.

And all 3 Goliaths at the front, each with a additional brake line between them. Allowing the front driver to apply the other tractors brakes, aswell as the 2 sets of trailers.

Hi robv8,

Absolutely superb pics once again, and thanks for taking the time and trouble to post them. :smiley:

I reckon the train driver is about to phone his union rep, cos your train is bigger than his. :grimacing:

yes as double D posted excellent pictures thanks a million
and we will all be waiting with baited breath for the next
post,many thanks

I know absolutely nothing about heavy haulage but I look and read and find it fascinating. Thanks for keeping me spellbound for a while.

Our time to leave Richards Bay had come, all engines warm and air built up for the mass of brake chambers on the trailer to release.

This is the first turn out of the docks, going onto R34 then shortly after a right turn onto R619 to pass through central Richards Bay, and towards the N2.

Through Richards Bay suburbs.

Quickly arrived at the N2 and raised the transformer high enough to clear the crash barriers, while we join the highway contraflow.

Happy driver at the back.

Pulling up to Umfolozi bridge laybye, only taken us 2 hours this trip, with the 5 Fauns. The first trip took us 4.5 hours with just 2 Goliaths. We would be waiting here until 2pm when the next shift of traffic police will arrive.

Weighing in at the 870t mark being pulled with 3410hp produced from these German monsters.

Away we go again, we were pushing to arrive at the Golela border post as soon as we can before the weekend ban of abnormal movements on the road in South Africa.

Going through this beautiful country and discovering how the natives survive on the bare essentials, highlights the simple items we take for granted.

All along the N2 are a dozen on/off ramps we have to negotiate to avoid ripping the top of the transformer.

Sleepy steersman.

The resting place for the night at the end of the first day, we had to hire in security to watch over the outfit, other companies had experienced fuel being stolen and tyres going missing while parked here.

Nice pictures and a very good read. I have a question, why are the trucks on English plates and what country are you in?.

mickyblue:
Nice pictures and a very good read. I have a question, why are the trucks on English plates and what country are you in?.

Well its obvious you paid a lot of attention to the diary :stuck_out_tongue:

The trucks are on english plates because they are from Great Britain and they are in South Africa :wink:

a excellent set of pictures and to be honest you could post every day
from me as I can not get enough, of seeing that British know how and
experience is stillrespected all over the world ,yes I know there are
more than one firms and country’s participating but I am proud of
the sight of that Flag flying and showing please keep on posting
and I do hope your firm was clever enough to get a dvd film of
this for commerical sale and sell it will all over the world ,
many thanks once again,

brit pete:
a excellent set of pictures and to be honest you could post every day
from me as I can not get enough, of seeing that British know how and
experience is stillrespected all over the world ,yes I know there are
more than one firms and country’s participating but I am proud of
the sight of that Flag flying and showing please keep on posting
and I do hope your firm was clever enough to get a dvd film of
this for commerical sale and sell it will all over the world ,
many thanks once again,

I would buy it

Santa:
duplicate

Thanks. The company have been approached a few times from the different broadcasting channels to produce a series on the job, but required us to fabricate mechanical problems on the job and stage arguements between workers. Obiviously they turned their generous offer down, there are DVDs available to purchase on the job in the UK, I don’t know what detail they go into on the job as ive never watched one. These photos can only show 10% of what happened on the trip, if I had the time I would make a video of it all, maybe next time?

@robv8 ,Thank you for telling us that , it shows yet again that the ENTERTAINMENT
industry IS FULL of people who have Pig excrement for brains, and are missing out on
showing BRITISH Transport LEADING THE FIELD all over the world, what a bloody pity,
It would be wonderful if you could do a video but make sure that your bosses see it first
also please thank them on behalf of all of us who are being allowed to see how a great team
and company make moving such loads interesting and do a great job,

26/08/2010

Preparing to leave the laybe next to the osterich farm.

Parked up for dinner in Mkuze, small town next to Ghost mountain in Zululand. Changed a few blowouts and waited for the 2pm traffic police.

We arrive at the laybye as the day is drawing to a close, we are parked just past the right turn on to the MR8 to Golela border post about 11km away.