LDD - Richards Bay to Lephalale again

thanks very much for the pictures as all ways., magnificent ,
stupendous, admirable, amazing, astonishing, astounding,
awe-inspiring, please keep taking more pictures and post away ,
many thanks

27/08/2010

We now have to reverse out of the laybye past the junction and turn right. Two tractors from the front are removed and sent around the corner waiting for us to join them.

Pin up the tractors again and go up the mountain.

Long decent down to the border.

Plenty of old British cars around this area.

Taking all the tractors off to park just short of the border.

All ready on the Friday morning to transit the border the next morning in Swaziland.

Ex Brian Harris

Former tanker, maybe ?

Any a local in a pick up draging a piece of railway track with his pick up■■?

This gets better and better :stuck_out_tongue: this could well be best topic ever posted on this forum :wink: Thanks so much for all the pictures Rob :slight_smile:

Fabulous thread.

That looks like a big trailer for that 20’ box :laughing:

Pah, we’ve had bigger than that down here drive!

Seriously though Rob, well done, good work. Informative and VERY interesting to boot.

another truly astonishing and mesmerising diary! well done rob and thanks for taking the time to post it. :smiley:

Wheel Nut:
Fabulous thread.

That looks like a big trailer for that 20’ box :laughing:

I was expecting the ‘we’ve had bigger than that in here driver’ comment, but that’s funny Malc :laughing: :laughing:

Brilliant pictures, what an adventure that must be, I’m only a little bit jealous…honest :wink:

have just read the last post excellent thanks again for
taking the time trouble to make a lot of people happy
and begging for more please,

Now would you rather watch a programme about the adventures of these guys or a programme about someone delivering cream cakes to a RDC :laughing:

merc0447:
Now would you rather watch a programme about the adventures of these guys or a programme about someone delivering cream cakes to a RDC :laughing:

I would like to see this in a Discovery Channel type programme, where they just record what happens and let the blokes doing the job explain what they’re doing, no Hollywood BS like the rest of the shows, I watched one on logging trucks in BC the other night, awful stuff, one of them was pulling up a hill and the narrator was warning that a 3 billion dollar contract would be lost if the truck was to blow up going up the hill, then the driver was gobbing off about how it would burst into flames if the turbo went on a pull like this, if I see the bloke the next time I’m in BC I’m going to punch him…repeatedly :unamused:

Anyway, robv8, are there any plans for a proper DVD of this job?

fantastic thread, that is a job i would like :laughing:

No, sorry there is no DVD as far as Im aware.

youtube.com/watch?v=s2X8KnArqdI
Found this on Youtube.

merc0447:

I love reality programmes as long as they are factual and real.

Blokes with 2nd rate celebrities eating insects and dancing with prostitutes do nowt for me!

I’m sure there’s not many of us who wouldn’t trade body parts to be part of a trip like this but I can’t help but think that the tail end charlie driver in the rear tractor gets a rough deal.

At least the number 2 & 3 Goliath drivers can see what’s going on around them. I can’t imagine the view from the rear one of the SLT’s is up to much.

that video is amazing :astonished: it looks even bigger than it does in the pictures !

28/08/2010

Saturday morning with the sun rising for another hot day to travel through into Swaziland. We were joined with a Mercedes Benz 6x6 Titan for extra traction on the mountains.

Ex Baumann of Germany.

Just one tractor on the front and one on the back to squeeze through the border post that is set out as a nice chicane for us.

Ive got no idea who used to own this, any ideas?

Out the other side of the border and all the trucks pined back on and waiting for the Police and telecom people to arrive to raise any cables in our way.

There is very little traffic in this country, due mainly to the extreme poverty and any traffic is usually SA registered cars using the country as a passageway.

Big long slow climbs all the way through this country.

Our resting area for the night, this is the only laybye on our route. So we have no choice but to park here, even though we could arrive at the border on the other side, theres no parking at the exiting border post and we cant move back into SA until Monday morning offically.

[zb] great read that, smashing stuff.

Thanks a lot this last lot of pictures are
ACE please keep on posting as we all
really appreciate the sight of you lot out
there showing to one and all how to move
such loads ,many thanks

29/08/2010

Last day in Swaziland and the worst of the mountains.

At the begining of the 14% percent incline.

Reached the top and allowing the engines and transmissions to cool before the long decent down again, also puting the Mercedes Titan at the back for better braking.

Reaching the bottom, we shuffled the tractors around and the Titan to the front for the last of the large climb.

About the most exciting part of the jounrney through the country, the only corner.

The telecoms highly techincal sticks.

Finally arriving at the Mahamba Border post and returning to South Africa.

Just squeezing through the border with a nicely parked car with no owner around.

Great photos and what a job!! This bit of kit makes an Oz RoadTrain look like an eight wheel Tipper!!
:smiley:

How many guys/girls does it take to get the beast around? Im guessing 30/40 full-time with mechanics, drivers etc.Really great photos, youve missed your way (Mr Bailey, lol) would like to watch the DVD sometime. Great stuff.