Latest news and offers from Peter Smythe Transport Training

It is fact that there are fewer and fewer manual vehicles on the road. Even the manuals that are there are frequently 6 speed. But we cant escape the fact that there are some more interesting manuals out there. But, as I’ve always said, having trained on a straight 4 speed, no-one ever taught me how to use anything else. And I’ve driven just about most of them!

I suppose it was inevitable that this thread would end up with this discussion. But I put it up just to let folks know that time was fast running out if they wished to use a manual.

Incidentally, if anyone knows who would like to be the proud new owner/s of them, let me know.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for everyone’s responses to my comments. I think on balance I’m not bothered if I learn in a manual or auto. And if auto is the way its all going then that’s probably just making my life easier in the long run.

Sorry Pete if I’ve somewhat hijacked your post [FACE SAVOURING DELICIOUS FOOD]

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

I’m used to hi-jack!! Nothing to worry about.

Thanks for being interested.

Threads are not threads unless they get Hi jacked on a forum, it’s the nature of the beast.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

I passed the class c with pstt in a auto and my first job was in a manual 8+1 with splitter .
Never had any problems ,I just looked at rogs guide on here to get a sniff on how to use it and off I went .

Hi

I’m looking at doing my C training with you but would be grateful if you could answer the following:

If I wanted full days do they have to be weekend? Are any two week days acceptable?

With you £250 voucher offer would it be possible for the demonstration test to be incorporated into a 4 day (half day) course so I get both tests I assume on final day?

Would the same instructor cover the demonstration test one-to-one or would it be necessary to book the course to coincide with a group based training course?

Thanks.

I’m looking at doing my C training with you but would be grateful if you could answer the following:

If I wanted full days do they have to be weekend? Are any two week days acceptable?

With you £250 voucher offer would it be possible for the demonstration test to be incorporated into a 4 day (half day) course so I get both tests I assume on final day?

Would the same instructor cover the demonstration test one-to-one or would it be necessary to book the course to coincide with a group based training course?

Firstly, thanks for your enquiry.

Full days are normally Sat/Sun as we run very tight schedules. Having said that, the schedules always go adrift around bank holidays so I wouldn’t be surprised if it could be made to happen for you.

The Mod 4 (demonstration test) can be added to any course. We have our own examiner on staff for Mod 4 so no waiting lists. Cannot 100% promise the same trainer but it’s up to you to make your preferences clear when booking and these are always taken into account so far as possible.

Hope this helps. To discuss dates etc, best to contact the office on 01623 555661.

That’s great. I’m not against sat/sun so would probably work for me but I gather this will make the module 4 difficult to squeeze in unless I stay in the area for longer. About 120 miles away.

we run very tight schedules

Do you have a waiting list for training?

The Mod 4 (demonstration test) can be added to any course.

Would the voucher cover this in full?

How does this work in practice? Is it a simple case of a few hours in the yard running through the Q & A? Do you get people failing this? I suppose when you have walked through it a few times it will sink in a lot easier than trying to memorise model answers as I’ve been trying to do.

Do you have any preferences with 4 half days or 2 full days as must cost you more with free B&B.

Thanks for the responses. Just waiting for some funds to clear.

A lot of the mod 4 is covered during the pre drive checks

That’s great. I’m not against sat/sun so would probably work for me but I gather this will make the module 4 difficult to squeeze in unless I stay in the area for longer. About 120 miles away.

we run very tight schedules

Do you have a waiting list for training?

The Mod 4 (demonstration test) can be added to any course.

Would the voucher cover this in full?

How does this work in practice? Is it a simple case of a few hours in the yard running through the Q & A? Do you get people failing this? I suppose when you have walked through it a few times it will sink in a lot easier than trying to memorise model answers as I’ve been trying to do.

Do you have any preferences with 4 half days or 2 full days as must cost you more with free B&B.

Thanks for the responses. Just waiting for some funds to clear.Fassi

At 120 miles away you qualify for free accommodation for the duration of your practical training.

There is a modest wait for training - call the office for exact dates which will vary according to your preferences.

Yes, the voucher will cover Mod 4 training, test and vehicle for test.

As for how it works, it might well be that the training is added to your course so you do another hour or so each day with your trainer. The alternative is that you will be trained separately to your course. In either case your test will follow very soon after the training. And, importantly for residential candidates, the Mod 4 is dealt with during the period you’re with us. So eg you could train Saturday and Sunday and complete your Mod 4 training as well in that period. Then take both tests Monday morning. Or you might be offered Mod 4 training on the Monday morning followed by test. Either way, we make sure it works for you. As a test centre, we have all the correct equipment for use on test so this is also used during your training. Cant make it any more straightforward!

I have absolutely no preferences between 4 days or 2 days. Yes, it costs more in accommodation. But Saturday/Sunday is costly in overtime. So it makes no odds to me and I have no axe to grind. I will mention that we’ve only had one person not pass first time on the weekend course in the last few months.

Hope all this helps but very happy to answer any further questions.

Thanks Pete. Looks perfect for what I’m looking for.

Hi all,

I just thought i would make a quick post to say hello, i am new here and am considering a step into the unknown and taking some driving qualifications (I’m hoping to start out with C1 but then who knows). In my research I have come across this forum and more importantly this thread and as a result have been in touch with Peter Smythe (the company - Not the person) for information… I have received 2 very prompt responses which have been much help as I consider my next step… which is kind of my reason for posting here… I’m hoping this can be somewhere I can ask advice without having to pester Peter Smythe with all my questions.

So that’s it really… just a hello to all and a wish me luck i guess.

Welcome. And pester away!! Either the office, on this thread or you can pm me.

Any questions, get stuck in.

Peter Smythe:
Welcome. And pester away!! Either the office, on this thread or you can pm me.

Any questions, get stuck in.

You may wish you hadn’t said that one day :laughing:

Thanks

Hahaha!

Random Hero:
Hi all,

I just thought i would make a quick post to say hello, i am new here and am considering a step into the unknown and taking some driving qualifications (I’m hoping to start out with C1 but then who knows). In my research I have come across this forum and more importantly this thread and as a result have been in touch with Peter Smythe (the company - Not the person) for information… I have received 2 very prompt responses which have been much help as I consider my next step… which is kind of my reason for posting here… I’m hoping this can be somewhere I can ask advice without having to pester Peter Smythe with all my questions.

So that’s it really… just a hello to all and a wish me luck i guess.

Welcome Random, my tip go straight to C with Pete, his trucks are marginally bigger than the C1s you would end up working in so get the full C for a similar price.
I know Pete may add his C1 vehicle isn’t a truck, but once you get C1 chances are you would end up in truck C1 as opposed to a Big Van thing. Just my thoughts.
I’ve recently driven a few C1 ivecos same except the rating as the C iveco I passed in.

Ok, so Again, forgive my ignorance but if I went for C… does that still allow me to drive a vehicle classed as c1?

Is that how it works?

Random Hero:
Ok, so Again, forgive my ignorance but if I went for C… does that still allow me to drive a vehicle classed as c1?

Is that how it works?

YES because C1 is a subcategory of C

ROG:

Random Hero:

Is that how it works?

YES because C1 is a subcategory of C

Thanks… again… apologies if it’s a daft question.

Random Hero:
apologies if it’s a daft question.

No daft questions on this forum but you may get some daft answers :wink: :unamused: :laughing: