Latest news and offers from Peter Smythe Transport Training

And the offer is …CLOSED!

Many thanks and best wishes to those who have taken it up.

There will be another superb offer along in the near future.

Keep checking - or regret it hahaha!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Hi, what offers are currently on offer. I’ve passed theory mc, hazard perception and cpc car study (mod1-2). Kind regards.

Reply is in the main threads: BARMY JULY OFFER

I’m sure you’ll find it interesting, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

A couple of days early because of the weekend, but here is the Barmy July Offer!

Trucknet users always get 10% discount from our normal rates + free accommodation for the duration of practical training if you live more than 70 miles from NG17 3FW.

The Barmy July Offer gives you all this PLUS £250 VOUCHER TOWARDS ANY OF OUR OTHER TRAINING PRODUCTS. For someone taking C, this could easily be driver cpc, CE, ADR. For CE candidates, driver cpc or ADR are the obvious choices. As always, no catches, no smoke, no mirrors. But, to qualify, you must call our office 01623 555661 and leave your details + £150 deposit. You can take your training anytime to suit you in 2017.

Personal visits are very welcome. No appointment needed as we have a fully staffed training centre during normal office hours.

You wont have to look too far on the forum for recommendations. And, as the forum sponsor, we cant afford to get it wrong!!

This offer will be withdrawn last day of July - don’t miss it.

At the end of August we’ll be parting with our last two manual vehicles. As they are drawbar combinations they can be used for C or CE. They will be replaced with two brand new autos and then our entire fleet will be auto (except B£, C1 and D1).

So anyone wishing to train on a manual needs to take the opportunity whilst it’s still available.

July Offer: 10% Trucknet discount + free accommodation for the duration of practical training if you live more than 70 miles from NG17 3FW. PLUS £250 voucher which can be used against any of our other training products eg, CE upgrade, ADR, driver cpc.

I’m not getting involved in the rights and wrongs of the move to auto within the industry. Fact is that this is the trend so our choices are limited.

To take advantage of the offer, call our office 01623 555661 in office hours. You’ll be asked for your details and £150 deposit. Don’t miss out!!

If you pass in an auto are you limited to only being able to drive autos like on cars ?

Total:
If you pass in an auto are you limited to only being able to drive autos like on cars ?

If you have a manual car license you get truck entitlement (stands to be corrected ).

Daytrunker:

Total:

If you have a manual car license you get truck entitlement (stands to be corrected ).

You are correct
Got manual car then take any PCV or LGV test in an auto will give you those in manual

At the moment that is not the case for doing B to B+E … cos the Govt have not got their arses in gear

It’s also not the case for C1 (7.5 tonne) or D1 (minibus up to 16 seats).

The vast majority of trainers are now using autos; we’ve been able to offer the choice due to fleet size but now the final manuals have come due for renewal as we only keep them 5 years from new.

Just heard from the office that there is now limited availability for August - so get in quick if you want manual training.

How I see it is you are training to pass a test so you make it as easy as possible to pass that test,like taking a calculator into a maths exam if it was allowed…you wouldn’t go without it.
Same goes for taking your lessons/test in a auto,it removes one of the things that you could balls up and fail your test on…a manual gearbox,leaves you to concentrate on the other things you can’t remove from the test like not mounting the kerb ect ect.
I passed my class 1&2 when you had to do it in a manual…given the option of if gone wth auto.

xichrisxi:
How I see it is you are training to pass a test so you make it as easy as possible to pass that test,like taking a calculator into a maths exam if it was allowed…you wouldn’t go without it.
Same goes for taking your lessons/test in a auto,it removes one of the things that you could balls up and fail your test on…a manual gearbox,leaves you to concentrate on the other things you can’t remove from the test like not mounting the kerb ect ect.
I passed my class 1&2 when you had to do it in a manual…given the option of if gone wth auto.

Chris
Have to agree to a point,like you did passed class 1+2 in a manual glad I did tbh,but the best place to learn how to drive a manual is next to an instructor,seen posts on here passed in an auto got in and there was a clutch pedal,at least passing manual you have got an idea what’s what, in an auto up to island foot on brake look push loud pedal and go,in a manual look at island down the box keep right gear in mind check traffic up a gear if needed no dreaded auto lag then off.

Daytrunker:

xichrisxi:

Chris
Have to agree to a point,like you did passed class 1+2 in a manual glad I did tbh,but the best place to learn how to drive a manual is next to an instructor,seen posts on here passed in an auto got in and there was a clutch pedal,at least passing manual you have got an idea what’s what, in an auto up to island foot on brake look push loud pedal and go,in a manual look at island down the box keep right gear in mind check traffic up a gear if needed no dreaded auto lag then off.

Good point but,I passed both my 1 & 2 in a straight 6 box…my first job was driving a wagon with a splitter,the first time I cast my eyes on a splitter was the first day on my job,maybe a day on familiarisation with different gearboxes as part of CpC course would be good.

xichrisxi:

I don’t agree, yeah you’re trying to pass a test but you’re learning to drive to. I’d sooner learn in a manual and have to figure out an auto on my first job than vice versa.

Sure I’m used to using a clutch and gears in a car but I bet I still find it a bit daunting that first time in a lorry.

IronEddie:

xichrisxi:

I don’t agree, yeah you’re trying to pass a test but you’re learning to drive to. I’d sooner learn in a manual and have to figure out an auto on my first job than vice versa.

Sure I’m used to using a clutch and gears in a car but I bet I still find it a bit daunting that first time in a lorry.

I learnt in a straight 6 year box,first time I drove a wagon outside of learner land in a real job the wagon had a splitter…I’d. Ever even seen one let alone knew how to operate it.

xichrisxi:

IronEddie:

xichrisxi:

I learnt in a straight 6 year box,first time I drove a wagon outside of learner land in a real job the wagon had a splitter…I’d. Ever even seen one let alone knew how to operate it.

I think you’re saying it doesn’t matter what you learn in, come the real world something will come along and throw you anyway.

But do you think encountering that splitter would of been harder for you if you’d come from learning in an auto?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

IronEddie:

xichrisxi:

IronEddie:

xichrisxi:

I think you’re saying it doesn’t matter what you learn in, come the real world something will come along and throw you anyway.

But do you think encountering that splitter would of been harder for you if you’d come from learning in an auto?

TBH not really as my car had 6 gears too :smiley:

IronEddie:

You learn on one type of manual then get a completely different type on your first job so how does that learning in the first type help :question:

ROG:

IronEddie:

You learn on one type of manual then get a completely different type on your first job so how does that learning in the first type help :question:

Well I say this with complete ignorance so correct me if wrong. But in my mind all manuals share some common features. So in moving from one type to another at least it will in part be familiar so easier to adapt to.

IronEddie:

ROG:

IronEddie:

Well I say this with complete ignorance so correct me if wrong. But in my mind all manuals share some common features. So in moving from one type to another at least it will in part be familiar so easier to adapt to.

In that case then as long as you’ve got a manual car licence you should be fine adapting to a manual lorry it is basically the same.
From what I’ve seen with lorries the only ones that are manuals now are 18 tonners usually a straight six (same as a car) with the odd 6 and 8 wheelers having manual splitboxs, most newer ones are auto’s i’d say though!

Even driving new manual cars/vans or whatever is a whole lot easier with things like parking sensors hill or park assist. I think its just a fact that driving is becoming more and more automated , along with lots of other everyday things but that’s life i reckon.