Lancashire Flats

Hi boys
We used to run Lancashire flats in and out of Irish Sea Ferries Garston Dock Liverpool along with the old box containers with 4 lifting eyes on the roof.
Interesting handy we delivered a lot of egg trays on flats all over the country from Ireland.Many to Tiverton in Devon, a small back street firm run by Jehovah witnesses.Always a early start and sausage butty on Gloucester ring road. Happy Days.

Regards Keith.

Thanks for your replies Gents.
Some great photos.

Why ‘Lancashire’ flat though?

Were they introduced by a Lancs firm?
Were they originally used specifically for a product from Lancs?
Was it because they were used between Lancs and Ireland as already mentioned?

Any ideas?

Davnic:
Thanks for your replies Gents.
Some great photos.

Why ‘Lancashire’ flat though?

Were they introduced by a Lancs firm?
Were they originally used specifically for a product from Lancs?
Was it because they were used between Lancs and Ireland as already mentioned?

Any ideas?

preston

hiya,
Ah yes “Lancashire” flats have dragged many around when on for Killingbecks and “doing” for Northern Ireland Trailers and some of them didn’t have hooks but a continuous rail down each side, now that’s where a new tecnique of roping and sheeting was needed and many’s the time i’ve had to help a younger fellah to R&S his load, that type sure sorted the men from the boys, but fair play one lesson at the “Harry’s School of R&S” and they became “experts” sorry if i’ve deafened anybody blowing my own trumpet.
thanks harry long retired.

harry_gill:
hiya,
Ah yes “Lancashire” flats have dragged many around when on for Killingbecks and “doing” for Northern Ireland Trailers and some of them didn’t have hooks but a continuous rail down each side, now that’s where a new tecnique of roping and sheeting was needed and many’s the time i’ve had to help a younger fellah to R&S his load, that type sure sorted the men from the boys, but fair play one lesson at the “Harry’s School of R&S” and they became “experts” sorry if i’ve deafened anybody blowing my own trumpet.

I remember the continuous rails and it was one thing I never got my head around either. Maybe a lesson is required for me and others. The image below shows the rails and also what I mean by a drum carrier.

While Lancashire Flats were still being used on the North Sea Ferries route by the likes of Seawheel & Bailee Freight Services they then introduced the Drum Carrier (Flatrack) which were altogether better imho.

They used twistlocks and were also interlocked when empty with tiny locks. These had the hinged end gates with removable centre posts and side rails.

There used to be an owd firm in bolton based on tonge moor rd adj to cricket club used to pull them for containerways on irish work.Think they only had 2 motors,old atkis in black livery.The com was bolton transport,not to be confused with bolton roadways and they were
known to bend the rules more than a tad.
regards dave.

harry_gill:
hiya,

Well said "H"spot on my son!! unfortunately if one dosen’t blow one’s own trumpet,no one else will!!! Join the “band” “H”!!! Dennis.

In my area (tyneside) we always called them Irish Flats. I remember picking one up from Heysham I think ■■ loaded with peat when i saw the height of it I nearly zb myself!! I must have spent at least an hour roping it down on top of what was already on it. I do recall I was very relieved when i delivered the load without any mishap (apart from soiled underpants).

kevmac47:
In my area (tyneside) we always called them Irish Flats. I remember picking one up from Heysham I think ■■ loaded with peat when i saw the height of it I nearly zb myself!! I must have spent at least an hour roping it down on top of what was already on it. I do recall I was very relieved when i delivered the load without any mishap (apart from soiled underpants).

In the North East, Stockton Haulage did operate flats too, probably the same traffic from the steel works into Ireland and certainly from the brick refractory in Crook