East lancashire companies past & present

right guys another possible good topic here,east Lancashire companies.there have been hundreds over the years lets have plenty of pics and tales about them not just the big boys but the one or just a few vehicles such as tippers,low loaders,flats,artics even coaches as a lot ran both from charabanc days.lets start with, Jacob Haworth lt Blackburn. j.w. farlow. Blackburn. sid Williams ltd tippers and plant, rishton. and the unforgettable barnes coaches , rishton. just a few to start so rack your brains and plenty of input please to create a bit of completion with our ■■■■■■■■ (where I now live) and Yorkshire pals. regard,s. jack preston.

looks like everyone is too young to remember or too old and forgetfull.

East Lancs Carriers. Remember a second mate on for them with shoulder length hair,
in the late 50s.

obviously these don’t ring any bells.so what about these,
w.h.bowker & sons.
r.maudsley.& sons.
chew bros.
jacks motors.
holden & davies.
harwood & megitt.
j. walsh (darwen).
clarendon haulage.
carefoot (longridge)
a, j. smith (clitheroe)
killingbeck transport. Blackburn.
any info or pics or any other names welcomed. regards,jack preston.

one here

untitled.png

Now part of the Hargreaves Group
Barnes & Tipping 124C Rigid.jpg
Gone in the last couple of years
ELW Scania.jpg
Jacks Motors Blackburn

A few more,all these are on the northwest thread as well.

Killingbecks Blackburn.jpg

B Barnes rawtenstall,
j f riley lumb,
cp freight stacksteads,
Joe Barton bacup,
I worked for them 4 companys they have all gone now. Hope it was nothing to do with me. :smiley:

keep them coming guys.i love the jacks motors one,ma dad probably painted that one he worked as foreman coachpainter at Blackburn motor bodies till they folded in 1968. regards to you all jack preston.

shirtbox2003:
obviously these don’t ring any bells.so what about these,
w.h.bowker & sons.
r.maudsley.& sons.
chew bros.
jacks motors.
holden & davies.
harwood & megitt.
j. walsh (darwen).
clarendon haulage.
carefoot (longridge)
a, j. smith (clitheroe)
killingbeck transport. Blackburn.
any info or pics or any other names welcomed. regards,jack preston.

W. H. Bowker Limited moved to Preston in 1989, and are thriving today, together with an expanding motor trade business

Jacks Motors was a subsidiary of Gilbraith Tankers, I believe (not Transport), and closed many years ago

Holden & Davies went their separate ways, with Wilfred Holden selling out to W H Malcolm, although they had acquired Schofields of Ossy along the way. Davies later operated out of Barnsley

Clarendon moved from Ribchester to Mellor Brook a few years ago, and are still going strong, as is Walter Carefoot’s transport division (they are predominantly a building company). Killingbeck closed the doors in an orderly fashion early in 1999, and the yard is now occupied by CSH Transport, previously in Great Harwood.

Maudsley became East Lancs Warehousing, and which failed a couple of years ago.

There was also Wood & Butler, Joans Van Transport and Kitchen of Darwen, not to mention Mercers. Going back further, how about Whipp’s? And Dutton Transport of Whalley?

shirtbox2003:
right guys another possible good topic here,east Lancashire companies.there have been hundreds over the years lets have plenty of pics and tales about them not just the big boys but the one or just a few vehicles such as tippers,low loaders,flats,artics even coaches as a lot ran both from charabanc days.lets start with, Jacob Haworth lt Blackburn. j.w. farlow. Blackburn. sid Williams ltd tippers and plant, rishton. and the unforgettable barnes coaches , rishton. just a few to start so rack your brains and plenty of input please to create a bit of completion with our ■■■■■■■■ (where I now live) and Yorkshire pals. regard,s. jack preston.

Jacob Haworth moved to Makerfield Way at Ince

kitchens green atkies little yard next to ici paints ?

I worked for Dutton transport for a while in the 60s while I was an apprentice helping my dad. as for whipps I think they were based at the rear of a row of cottages near walker steel in Blackburn.we once sold a house to one of whipps sons in lower darwen in the 70s. regards ,jack preston.

bob-lad:
kitchens green atkies little yard next to ici paints ?

Sounds right, Bob, and I believe they were up there somewhere, having split from Ditchfield & Kitchen

Dave Kitchen parked what trucks he had left is Ditchy yard while I work for John.

Cheers Welly

Williams at Atherton / Leigh. Good Tanker men

Kenyons

East Lancashire Warehousing (ELW)

Whittles

Clarendon

Fred Allen

Inter County Express

Stanfield:

I remember Killingbecks fondly (is that one of their rigid artics?) What springs to mind is everything they had seemed unique - did they modify/build everything themselves like Burridges?
An old firm near where I used to work in the early 80’s, Philip Priestner from Moore near Warrington (not quite E lancs I know - anyone remember them?) They used to do the same and had some rough old stuff but just kept plodding, nothing too pretty but did the job. I did a couple of jobs for them and am still hurting now

hayday:

Stanfield:

I remember Killingbecks fondly (is that one of their rigid artics?) What springs to mind is everything they had seemed unique - did they modify/build everything themselves like Burridges?
An old firm near where I used to work in the early 80’s, Philip Priestner from Moore near Warrington (not quite E lancs I know - anyone remember them?) They used to do the same and had some rough old stuff but just kept plodding, nothing too pretty but did the job. I did a couple of jobs for them and am still hurting now

Philip Priester did a lot of work out of Levers Factory in Warrington, He had a son-in-law call John Worthington who again did a lot of work out Levers Factory pulling Swains trailers, also on the same contact was a Guy Called Frank ? any one remember him

Bert Hinchcliffe, Walsh and Dearden, T.N.T. Bradley from Accrington, Barnet and Graham, Stringfellows. Does anybody remember a company called Shopfitters (Lancashire) in the seventies and eighties who I think came from Darwen. They were not really a transport company but you used to see their vans parked overnight on lorry parks all over the U.K.

hayday:

They didn’t build everything themselves, although much of the fleet was bought in secondhand and given a major rebuild anyway.

I think it was especially in periods of legislation change where Killingbeck sought to trade up to different configurations.

John Killingbeck’s engineering expertise was, perhaps, at its most obvious from 1983 onwards, when gross weights went up. At that time, they were running Atkis and ERFs at 32T, almost exclusively with the 180 Gardner (albeit tuned by John to achieve in excess of that), and of course the newest Mk.2 Atkinsons were only 8 years old at that time.

In order to gear up for 38 tonnes, John decided that a double drive tractor was the way to go. Atkinson had only built around 50 of them, but some were unsuitable because a) they pre-dated the cut-off date for eligibility to run at higher weights or b) they were the bigger 75T version and just weren’t suitable for general haulage work. So, not many to go at.

He bought a 45T Atkinson Venturer as a trial (WSC 84K), but had to run it as a 32-tonner because of its age. Pleased with the idea, he set about a programme of introducing 6x4 tractors. Some were factory built, and some were cut-down rigids - one had even started life as an 8-legger! All had 8-cylinder Gardners, tuned by John, and most grew sleeper cabs. Later on, he re-cabbed some of them with secondhand 400 Series cabs - his “Mk.3 Atkinson”…

Following on from these, he also built 6x4 Seddon Atkinsons and Chinese-Six ERF B Series. Even the ‘standard’ models he bought usually had the Killingbeck touch, such as a Seddon Atkinson Strato with an Atkinson Mk.2 top bumper. In one instance, a 400 Series rigid (NSA 181P) became a sleeper-cabbed 6x4 tractor and, not only did it gain an 8LXB engine, but also John added his own turbo conversion.