East lancashire companies past & present

hi mushroomman,shopfitters Lancashire were based in oswaldtwistle nr Accrington,lancashire.they did what their name says,shopfitting.i think they got that big it all got out of control,hence after a fire or two in the 80s that was it.the mill they worked out of is still in a semi existant state divided into units. as for Bradley transport of Accrington,well I was a mechanic there for 6 months in early 70s,paid good money but had to really graft,he was never suited with anything.his son still plays around at hapton valley colliery old site. :slight_smile: :sunglasses: :stuck_out_tongue:

as for killingbecks I worked with one of his ex mechanics, dennis Edwards for about a year in late 60s. :slight_smile:

Stanfield:
A few more,all these are on the northwest thread as well.

I remember Richard Nuttalls from Edenfield when they worked out of Trinity Paper Mills at Holcombe.They had some some 6 and 8 wheeler ERFs ,they also had a 6 wheeler Leyland ergo around a F reg i think a Retriever but stand to be corrected .Anyone got any pics of the Ergo?

Richard Nuttall Edenfield

East Lancashire Warehousing Darwen (Closed down)

A.J.A. Smith Clitheroe

One I remember is BAILIEYS LOW LOADERS a clearing house I think at least I never ever saw any motors of theirs. I was with McMurdo of Sanquhar and one Saturday morning Tam our boss shouts me into the head office(wooden hut at end of yard)and says speak to this chap on the phone Eddie he has a load for you on Monday so it was Bailieys they had seen us a lot in Kirby and Manchester and were looking to load scotch motors. The first load was 10tons of Blucol Anti-Freeze one drop Glasgow great another lad got a full load of compressors later in the week also one drop and we thought o this is okay. But within a month we were getting more drops than the grocer and worse than that the word was they sometimes did’ny pay. So it was’ny long until we were told not to ring them for a load. Eddie.

shirtbox2003:
hi mushroomman,shopfitters Lancashire were based in oswaldtwistle nr Accrington,lancashire.they did what their name says,shopfitting.

Similarly, there was Broughtons (bathroom fittings?) in Accrington - you’d see their brown motors all over the country

Anyone remember these from haslingden , did 11 years here the money was crap but the job and the crack was great , good times indeed

file-1.jpeg

George Gil Stansfields, Fearings of Burnley, Herbert Higson Ltd, Hown Barnoldswick, Peel Transport Colne, Earby Haulage, Earby Film Transport, Hoyle and Dean wow I could go on , happy days

moomooland:
Richard Nuttall Edenfield

East Lancashire Warehousing Darwen (Closed down)

A.J.A. Smith Clitheroe

Aye ELW I used to deliver reels of paper imported from Finland to their depot, It was for Crown Wallpaper at Potters Branch at Drawin , It was a quick tip, better than the Crown place on half shaft hill as it was nicknamed in those days, Regards Larry.

Buzz Lightyear:
George Gil Stansfields, Fearings of Burnley, Herbert Higson Ltd, Hown Barnoldswick, Peel Transport Colne, Earby Haulage, Earby Film Transport, Hoyle and Dean wow I could go on , happy days

Don’t forget Ironfield, Sandiford of Ossy and Alan Matthews Bracewell of Church!

alan Mathews bracewell are still going strong with about 10 trucks or so. jack preston.

240 Gardner:

shirtbox2003:
obviously these don’t ring any bells.so what about these,
w.h.bowker & sons.
r.maudsley.& sons.
chew bros.
jacks motors.
holden & davies.
harwood & megitt.
j. walsh (darwen).
clarendon haulage.
carefoot (longridge)
a, j. smith (clitheroe)
killingbeck transport. Blackburn.
any info or pics or any other names welcomed. regards,jack preston.

W. H. Bowker Limited moved to Preston in 1989, and are thriving today, together with an expanding motor trade business

Jacks Motors was a subsidiary of Gilbraith Tankers, I believe (not Transport), and closed many years ago

Holden & Davies went their separate ways, with Wilfred Holden selling out to W H Malcolm, although they had acquired Schofields of Ossy along the way. Davies later operated out of Barnsley

Clarendon moved from Ribchester to Mellor Brook a few years ago, and are still going strong, as is Walter Carefoot’s transport division (they are predominantly a building company). Killingbeck closed the doors in an orderly fashion early in 1999, and the yard is now occupied by CSH Transport, previously in Great Harwood.

Maudsley became East Lancs Warehousing, and which failed a couple of years ago.

There was also Wood & Butler, Joans Van Transport and Kitchen of Darwen, not to mention Mercers. Going back further, how about Whipp’s? And Dutton Transport of Whalley?

hello 240 gardner are not bowkers at bamber bridge Preston ? Do you by any chance remember East lancashire carriers ? thank you Trevor

tastrucker:
hello 240 gardner are not bowkers at bamber bridge Preston ? Do you by any chance remember East lancashire carriers ? thank you Trevor

Indeed they are at Holme Road, Bamber Bridge. East Lancs Carriers was part of Jack Bradley’s empire.

hi 240 gardner.i worked at Dutton transport in late 60s and also worked for jack Bradley for 6 months or so about the same time. regards, jack preston. :frowning: :confused: :open_mouth: :sunglasses: :laughing:

shirtbox2003:
hi 240 gardner.i worked at Dutton transport in late 60s and also worked for jack Bradley for 6 months or so about the same time. regards, jack preston. :frowning: :confused: :open_mouth: :sunglasses: :laughing:

I’m sure Mr Bradley extracted his pound of flesh during that time! :laughing:

240 Gardner:

tastrucker:

Indeed they are at Holme Road, Bamber Bridge. East Lancs Carriers was part of Jack Bradley’s empire.

thanks 240 Gardner , East Lancs Carriers would deliver along the N Wales coast road . Seem to remember they carried kitchen ware out of a factory near Burnley . thanks again Trevor

hi again 240 gardner,you are right about old jack Bradley.quite a character,but he paid top bucks in his days.could write a book. :unamused: :laughing:

shirtbox2003:

I can remember Duttons Scammell Routeman 8 rigid at Burnley paper mill . They used to do a lot of work for ICI Fleetwood . thamnk you Trevor

I’m sure you East Lancs chaps will recognise this location - the fleet is an easy spot!

240 Gardner:
I’m sure you East Lancs chaps will recognise this location - the fleet is an easy spot!

Not too sure but looks like Rawtenstall to me ! Going off the subject does any body remember Rohun transport from Preston had some American kit on fridge work thank you Trevor