J .bradley transport. accrington

anyone ever worked for jack Bradley,or any pics or tales of interest.

shirtbox2003:

i can remember his International artics very unusual , he used to haul pots and pans from a factory in Burnley but cant remember there name thank you Trevor

he ran internationals with perkins 6.354 engines. the firm in burnley would have been prestige,the façade of which is still standing near sainsburys.regards,jack preston. :slight_smile: :wink:

shirtbox2003:

Bradleys did work for ulster ferry at preston in the late 60s.I was a dock shunter for U.F.T. at that time and if bradleys drivers left there mt trailers i wuold catch there meat cotainers off the boats for them.Helped us both realy, good lads from accrington.

One here for you.transportphotos.com (photo by Adrian Cypher)

CX00044.jpg

Hi there,
I was a transport & Depot manager for Jack Bradley in Weston Super Mare I ran Bristol Trucking For him from 1973 until 1997, When his son Peter closed it down due to his pigheadedness me & him did not get on at all but the old man was a diamond.
When i started for him we had 15 of those International Loadstars but they were near the end of their useful lives worn out basicley, Due to my influence with the old man i bought 2 Seddon 13/4 tractor units with Perkins 6,354 engines wich suited fine as they were fairly standard to our needs.
Our main work was for Hygrade on the Oldmixon hauling cardboard boxes we were the sole haulier in those days They later came to be McMillan Bloedel then Peter would not update the trucks we became unreliable so they got G E Wheeler as a back up Haulier in.
I often wonder if any of the old Drivers are still about i know a few have passed away sadly,

Hi Loadstar,
I have lived in and around Weston for most of my life and In the 70’s used to drive for a firm out of Bridgwater and I well remember Bristol Trucking and their depot in Winterstoke Road, W-s-M with their International and Seddon tractor units pulling mostly single axle, relatively short, flat-bed trailers.
These always seemed to be loaded too high with what were obviously double stacked pallets of flat packed corrugated cardboard boxes.
The Internationals must have been very unstable on corners and roundabouts as I remember seeing more than one on my travels which had either lost their load or overturned completely. I don’t seem to remember this happening with the Seddons.
Two drivers who I can remember are Brian Mackie (RIP) who sadly died of Cancer last year, who used to rebuild Land Rovers, lived on Locking Road and another driver whose first name was Steve (can’t remember his surname) who lived on the opposite side of the same road but a little further towards Mac’s Garage, who I believe is still around, at least I used to see him walking his dog whenever I passed that way.
I am sure that there are more, but the old grey matter isn’t what it used to be without prompting.
Les.

kickstart:
Hi Loadstar,
I have lived in and around Weston for most of my life and In the 70’s used to drive for a firm out of Bridgwater and I well remember Bristol Trucking and their depot in Winterstoke Road, W-s-M with their International and Seddon tractor units pulling mostly single axle, relatively short, flat-bed trailers.
These always seemed to be loaded too high with what were obviously double stacked pallets of flat packed corrugated cardboard boxes.
The Internationals must have been very unstable on corners and roundabouts as I remember seeing more than one on my travels which had either lost their load or overturned completely. I don’t seem to remember this happening with the Seddons.
Two drivers who I can remember are Brian Mackie (RIP) who sadly died of Cancer last year, who used to rebuild Land Rovers, lived on Locking Road and another driver whose first name was Steve (can’t remember his surname) who lived on the opposite side of the same road but a little further towards Mac’s Garage, who I believe is still around, at least I used to see him walking his dog whenever I passed that way.
I am sure that there are more, but the old grey matter isn’t what it used to be without prompting.
Les.

Hi Loadstar and Les
I drove for Bristol Trucking out of Weston from about 1967 to I972.
I remember Brian Mackie, he was a very clever mechanic.
The chap that walked his dog was Steve Davies
Steve suffered a stroke about ten years ago and pleased to say he as got on well.
A lot of the old Bristol Trucking drivers have sadly passed away, most recently was Richard Harding, also Mike Owens, Harry Benstead. John Coles,

Those I do remember we’re John Hugh’s, John Rolley.
Jeff Bennet, Bucky Burnell, John"Paddy"Kellet, Tommy Thomas, Adrian"Lofty"Burr
Myself, John Thorne.
Pat Norton, Phill White,
Trying hard to remember others.
The main reason for many mishaps was drivers who have only driven a car before were taken on with no lorry, ropeing and sheeting, cornering with load experience.
This was prior to the 1969 introduction of the Heavy Goods Licence.
We all then had "grandmother rights to that licence without passing a test.
Every driver from Weston went up to Burnley two at a time on a week’s course to determine there group I ability.
We were put up bed and breakfast and evening meal at the home of I am sure the Church transport managers house.

.Hard times, good times.
Good mates, treasured memories.

Beach Boy.

Sent from my XQ-AD51 using Tapatalk