Jaques

Thought you would come up trumps revman,cheers paul.

can’t find a woodcocks Atki so here’s a Volvo,regards alan

Ocean Clipper:

Brilliant photo thank you, and proof that the second one was completed!

5thwheel:

Ocean Clipper:
hi .that was the only one.woodcocks of rotherham had the only one as atkinsons only made two.

A big seller then for Atkinson’s!although I’m not too surprised,its quite an ugly beast from the front aspect,most of the sides and probably the rear is very similar to the MkII Atkinson cab.
David

It pre-dated the Mk2 by 3 years, but some of the details do resemble the Mk.1, when you look at the panel behind the doors, and at the rear bulkhead

hi all. happy new year to all of you on this site .

How about another old firm called cloke transport
Any one know anything about them

Here’s a few more from transportphotos.com
BC00036-20.jpg
JSc00836-02.jpg
VS01775.jpg
VS01910.jpg

Dog trainer:

Cloke Transport were in Neasden, can’t remember the address. They were principally tipper operators, but had two low loaders, a Scammell Highwayman; and a Commer two-stroke. The livery was a sort of dark yellow. I used to give them a bit of business, 1960-64 time, and the fellow at the other end of the phone was named Dawson. Who their principal customers were I don’t know, but I remember a young lady who placed the business for a company we worked for, and had called me for the price to take a loading shovel to Port Talbot, allowed me to listen, whilst she obtained a quote from Mr Dawson. He quoted her £50, and she told me I could have the job for £47.50 ! (May have been £47.10s old money then!) Incidentally,i’ve only just recently seen a picture of the Scammell, maybe in Heritage Commercials magazine I think.

Hermit:

Dog trainer:

Cloke Transport were in Neasden, can’t remember the address. They were principally tipper operators, but had two low loaders, a Scammell Highwayman; and a Commer two-stroke. The livery was a sort of dark yellow. I used to give them a bit of business, 1960-64 time, and the fellow at the other end of the phone was named Dawson. Who their principal customers were I don’t know, but I remember a young lady who placed the business for a company we worked for, and had called me for the price to take a loading shovel to Port Talbot, allowed me to listen, whilst she obtained a quote from Mr Dawson. He quoted her £50, and she told me I could have the job for £47.50 ! (May have been £47.10s old money then!) Incidentally,i’ve only just recently seen a picture of the Scammell, maybe in Heritage Commercials magazine I think.

Yes you are right about the scammell seen that picture myself. The scammell from what I can remember from my dad became too expensive to repair so that was sold and they brought a new layland beaver reg number VYV 511G which my dad drove from new. They moved from neasden to alperton dad stayed with them until he changed his job to a builder. He kept his class one hgv going just incase he needed it. You are right about mr Dawson he was still there after dad left. I have a picture of the beaver with a spitfire plane on the low loader which was taken to hendon which I will try and upload in the week

Picture as promised
image.jpg

VENTURER:
BILL ARMSTRONG

And here’s the same lorry in a film clip:

flickr.com/photos/seacoaler/8579205947/

Hiya…i’ve just had a phone call from Kenny Hunters son…sadly Kenny passed away a few days ago,Friday i think…RIP Kenny
John

hi all i hope there are still a few ex, jacques still out there, by brother Bill Coker & I would love to hear from all of you, sadly our dad Bill Coker Snr has past away

Hi,
Don’t know if anyone is still following these posts. I see they are all a bit dated now.
Unfortunately I have only just found this a day or two ago.
I worked for Jaques around 74/75. I started as a drivers mate on abnormal loads with the legendary Peter Sibun, who nobody appears to have mentioned up to now.
Jaques put me in for my Class 1 and the rest is history, as they say.
I’ll leave it there for now and see if anyone reacts.
Cheers guys.

Anyone here remember Jaques Heavy Haulage based in Watford?

They used Scammels and Fodens mostly. I worked for them for a while, driving an old Foden with a 16 speed box in about 1971/2. It could haul anything, but only at 28 mph flat out empty or loaded. The low loader trailers were mostly very heavy manual rear knock-outs, but they did give us a driver’s mate to help. Damned hard work, but fun, going wide and heavy through London under police ■■■■■■. Good money too, but only because we worked about 65 hours a week. They didn’t seem too fussy about log books.

Don’t have the photos now. Shame.

Tone

I remember Jaques as I was on Pickfords in the 60s and 70s did the Foden have the hubs where you changed the diff ratio with a spanner to give a higher gear for empty running as I know a few heavy haul Fodens did, sorry no pics though

I know a little about them from a mate of mine who worked for them, John LeTissier… Ring any bells? He told me some stories, like the bag of 5p coins for the phone…

bobthedog:
I know a little about them from a mate of mine who worked for them, John LeTissier… Ring any bells? He told me some stories, like the bag of 5p coins for the phone…

Blimee Bob. Do I know you too? Tish was a great mate of mine! I knew him when he drove for Masters. I was on for Jack Sunderland at Kings Langley then.

We ended up together running in Europe for Tiny Lee out of Leighton Buzzard. He brought a Volvo F86 all the way back from Italy with no clutch and no starter. He stalled it on the ferry and got a tow off! When he got back to base he asked the fitter for a match. The fitter said,‘Wot for?’ Tish said ‘To set fire to this effin thing!’.

After all that Tiny Lee sacked him. Tish didn’t know that the the fitter was Tiny’s brother!

Tish is now in Camelford, Cornwall, still driving. I last met up with him about three years ago. Looks just the same, but with shorter hair and beard.

If you knew Tish did you know Colin Williams? We were a close ■■■■■■■■■ in those days.

I’ll find some photos soon.

Tone

sammyopisite:
I remember Jaques as I was on Pickfords in the 60s and 70s did the Foden have the hubs where you changed the diff ratio with a spanner to give a higher gear for empty running as I know a few heavy haul Fodens did, sorry no pics though

I’m racking my bit of brain here, but i seem to recall that it was basically a four speed crash box, but with a column mounted lever that gave you three ratios. Woe betide you if you tried to shift it on the move. You had to stop to do that! In bottom ratio it did about 9mph flat out in top gear!

Strangely I was talking to a fellow today who reckons he’ still got one, but with a twelve speed box. It’ll be on display at a rally at The Hewitt Arms, Shireoaks, near Worksop on the weekend of Sep 25/26th. It’s a combined steam and vintage rally, and it’s free.

I’ll be there, camera in hand. Might even get a go.

Tone

No, you wouldn’t know me. I used to sample the local brews with John and Leslie, then John and Sharon. I am a Camelford boy. We worked together for Haynes for a while. I think he may have some pics that I can get posted. I will send Sharon a message and ask her to get some. I did see Shar in May, but didn’t get chance to see John. I aim to go back again sometime soon, and will go see him then as I like them a lot.

He did show me some pics before. I seem to recall a Daf that suffered a meltdown. The trailer was so long he had to take 2 pics of it to fit it in…