Mackays of watford

I worked for Mackays in 1970 when all they had as I remember were Commers, mainly TS3’s. Bulk of the work was glass bottles to York and Newsprint, well mainly magazines for Smiths newsagent. Used to pick up a union man from Fetter Lane who sat in the cab all day and did nothing but you couldn’t unload without him!

A couple of their Commers taking part in the Lorry Driver of the Year 1967 transportphotos.com/road/photos

HuN0346.jpg
HuN0392.jpg
HuN0527.jpg

Mackay ran out of BPC at Watford we use to load alongside these boys always a nice bunch of lads.

joined mackays as a youngster age 18 they put me through my class 3 and then my class 1 around73–74 stayed with them for 8 years, best time of my life --nights out in liverpool were the best.did lots of book runs (tv times out of bemroses in liverpool) allround london and south coast. was hard work then all handball loads roping and sheeting. still driving now for gist in hemel hempstead(marks and spencer), ken freeman works with me ,he never drove for ma-ckays as a previous post said—he drove for humpheys in watford----his brother pat did we often shared an erf unit with a 2 speed box SAR 450J, ----peter and paul miller run the company they were identical twins----they were great to work for–i popped in to see them when i heard they were folding --had a conversation with paul , not seen either of them since,some of the drivers iv,e had a bit of contact with are pat freeman jc–john crowther( his dad alan used to do a night trunk when i first started there) gordon sweeting i knew all the lads from liverpool so dav g remind me to your grandad ask him if he remembers me–mick wigg there was jerry, hughie, john, a couple of others and ted in charge, it would be great to hear from any of them, if they are still around!!!

I delivered to Mackays old yard on colonial way, on the corner about 10 years ago, & there was still 2 of there old ERF units in the warehouse. & I didn’t have my camera with me. :cry:
I also used to deliver to a farm in Maidenhead & he had one of there old trailers for storage.
And this time I did have a camera :smiley:

would anybody have any pics of mackays of watford brown and yellow erfs my grandad drove for them for 25 years and i would like to get him sum pics!

dagv8:
would anybody have any pics of mackays of watford brown and yellow erfs my grandad drove for them for 25 years and i would like to get him sum pics!

I found this on the net, but I can’t remember for the life of me where I found it

The one on the right is now preserved, but not in Mackay colours.

When I worked for W. H. Bowker, we subbed quite a bit to Mackay, loading them home. Their man in Liverpool was called Ted, and the business was run by brothers (were they twins?) called Peter and Paul, I think. Their surname wasn’t Mackay, but I think their mother was from the Mackay family. They were always real gentlemen to deal with.

It was a very traditional firm, and they didn’t use to push the drivers at all - I think it was up one day and back the next. If I remember rightly, they stuck at 32 tons and refused to move up to 38 tonnes, and the main customer in Hertfordshire was Ovaltine.

thats right there neme was miller paul and peter my grandad was based up here in liverpool and about 4 others i was with him every chance i got! ive tryed every where to get sum pics! ive spoke to the guy what owns that truck my grandad had the sister 1 to it d418 ppp!

dagv8:
thats right there neme was miller paul and peter my grandad was based up here in liverpool and about 4 others i was with him every chance i got! ive tryed every where to get sum pics! ive spoke to the guy what owns that truck my grandad had the sister 1 to it d418 ppp!

Yes, that’s it, Miller. I remembered it this morning :unamused:

The last I heard (although a few years ago) was that they were still in business in Watford, with the depot turned over to warehousing and rental space - have you tried gettihng in touch with them?

no they finished in about 1997/1998 i think i still see 1 of the liverpool lads he drives for haywoods from walsall!

Back in the mid 70s i used to come across a Mackays driver using a Commer 2 stroke artic delivering newsprint.
I am sure he told me it had been a short wheelbase tipper, converted into an artic.
Pretty sure his name was Sam.Once had a good lunch time sesson with him and then we went our separate ways, me in my Guy Big J and Sam in his Commer 2 stroke.Happy days

yes that would of been rite they ran alot into the sun at watford they had a big contract with them!

dagv8:

I restored D417 PPP an ERF new to McKay of Watford. It was driven by Ken Freeman, I believe his brother drove the sister to it D418 PPP. follow the link on my profile to my website to see pictures of it. Regards Big Al

Ex Mackays of Watford reg D417 PPP carrying Atkinson MRN 382K at recent Atkinson Rally day Leyland Museum, regards Big Al