Is it DAF? Is it MAN?

Hi, we are getting new fleat of CFs…and after first day driving i can swear this thing has MAN drivetrain…even washingmashine switch…when i close my eyes im driving MAN…
no worries i dont drive while sleep! :wink:

DAF and MAN use the ZF asstronic gearbox , but now MAN uses the traxon box

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

blue estate:
DAF and MAN use the ZF asstronic gearbox , but now MAN uses the traxon box

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

New dafs have traxon gearboxes now.Miles better.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Do the Traxon boxed Daf’s still revert to wouldn’t pull you out of bed eco mode after a minute or so?

dont think its just gearbox…engine sounds same as MAN aswell…on startup, shut off…pulling off…
these are 2weeks old trucks…gearbox good to me…i just dont like that washing mashine switch :frowning:

Juddian:
Do the Traxon boxed Daf’s still revert to wouldn’t pull you out of bed eco mode after a minute or so?

Yeah unfortunately they do.

daftvader:

Juddian:

Yeah unfortunately they do.

Thanks, i had an idea they’d carry that piece of brilliance on :unamused:

Fortunately it’s still possible to put a Traxon boxed MAN in manual and keep it there, sadly they didn’t do a Scania where the driver can ‘assist’ the box by triggering gearshifts when needed without the MAN box going temporarily into manual mode, if they’d done a Scania and allowed driver input whilst keeping it in full auto (if preferred), that would have made the MAN/Traxon box one of the best drives out there IMHO, better than Volvo in that it is a good box anyway but being able at a moments notice to trigger a shift when needed without going into full manual mode would have given it just about the versatile auto box programming available.

Still better than DAF though where you have to physically select manual (i assume Traxon still the same) before any driver input is allowed.

What a shame, i’d hoped when Daf fitted the Traxon they might have just given a nod to the remaining few lorry drivers out there who know how to, and still take an interest in actually driving and getting the best out of the sodding thing, c’est la vie :cry:

I drove a newish MAN 18 tonner the other day, it was auto but not sure what box didn’t feel like astronic, and have to admit it was probably the most refined ride/drive of any truck I’ve ever driven.

Reliability and parts prices/dealer support reputation would probably still put me off buying one though.

Juddian. DAF have catered for the few drivers left who know how to get the best out of a truck, its called a 16spd manual that is still available

chaversdad:
Juddian. DAF have catered for the few drivers left who know how to get the best out of a truck, its called a 16spd manual that is still available

I agree completely, unfortunately it will be used by others when i’m off shift, so my manual request was denied as it would restrict who could use it.

Wasn’t a Daf in question by the way, but had a manual been on the table then i’d have been chuffed to buggery with one, my last manual was a CF 460 with that 16 speeder, and it was a cracking little motor for covering the ground, as good as any make auto in the yard on fuel with better progress to boot, and a joy to maneuver.

To be fair i’m happy, it’ll have Traxon (which is a big improvement on arsetronic) and will stay in whatever mode i click so can still be driven in manual easily when required, the right engine and a few alterations of my choice to fine tune it to my particular work.

Juddian:
Still better than DAF though where you have to physically select manual (i assume Traxon still the same) before any driver input is allowed.

I drove a few 65 plate Daf XFs over the last fortnight, and by tapping the button on the end of the stalk once, it selected A eco off, and allowed driver input for a quck gear change. I didn’t need to select M at all. However, it didn’t take long to automatically revert itself back to A though.

ezydriver:

Juddian:

I drove a few 65 plate Daf XFs over the last fortnight, and by tapping the button on the end of the stalk once, it selected A eco off, and allowed driver input for a quck gear change. I didn’t need to select M at all. However, it didn’t take long to automatically revert itself back to A though.

Not going to argue with you cos i seldom have to drive a Daf auto of any description, and am eternally grateful for that small mercy, but i was under the impression or thought that manual input was only available in M, i know it doesn’t have any truck with manual input in poxy eco, so maybe i’ve just assumed it didn’t work in A either.

As you say that defaulting to eco ■■■■■■■■ is a pain in the arse, and in my book this puts Dafs right down in Merc (shakes head in disgust) territory as having by far the worse auto-box programming of any vehicle i’ve ever driven, well apart from Iveco/arsetronic combo which leaves one speechless.

Juddian:

ezydriver:

Juddian:

Not going to argue with you cos i seldom have to drive a Daf auto of any description, and am eternally grateful for that small mercy, but i was under the impression or thought that manual input was only available in M, i know it doesn’t have any truck with manual input in poxy eco, so maybe i’ve just assumed it didn’t work in A either.

As you say that defaulting to eco ■■■■■■■■ is a pain in the arse, and in my book this puts Dafs right down in Merc (shakes head in disgust) territory as having by far the worse auto-box programming of any vehicle i’ve ever driven, well apart from Iveco/arsetronic combo which leaves one speechless.

That one tap of the button only drops her down a gear.Then reverts back to auto not long after.Same with physicaly putting it into manual.The days when we knew how to drive a truck without all this ■■■■■ is long gone.Must admit though.It"s a decent auto box.

Juddian:

ezydriver:

Juddian:

I always asumed I had to put a Daf into M to manually input too, until one day I thought I’d put it into M, but had actually put it into A eco off, and hey presto, it allowed me to change gear. I’ve never tried changing more than one gear in that mode though, so daftvader has just taught me something new. At least it gives drivers that 1 cog drop so often needed, because I find Dafs rev far too low in A, way below the green band, and the bloody thing starts shuddering.

On a similar note, I drove a new generation Scania for the first time tonight, and was suitably impressed with the gearbox. Full manual overide in A. No messing. Slick changes. Not bad at all.

The DAF 65 plates can be changed by the dealer:
Eco permanently off. Click of the button puts you in Manual until you click back into Auto.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk