MAN TGS Gearboxes

There’s a good chance I’ll be getting a 32-400 8wheeler this year, so I have a few questions…
Is the 16 speed manual gearbox any good and is it the one referred to as “comfort shift”? If so what is the difference between that and a Daf 16 speed? Also has the auto version improved since 2011? I had an 11 plate 35-400 and that was awful but a mate has a 12 plate and he reckons it’s not too bad.
Do MAN interiors still suffer with leprosy?

The manual boxes can be specced with or without the comfortshift. They’ve moved to a cable gear change now which i find is nowhere near as nice as the old hydraulic shift system, seems quite notchy. The auto’s are slightly improved from the earlier models but still miles behind the likes of volvo’s offerings.

The ZF 16 sped manual box used by MAN and DAF will be the same Internally ,the only difference may be the turret that the linkage attaches to …The synchros have been beefed up ,and for the life of me I can not remember what they are coated in now,but 3rd gear syncros don’t seem to fail as it once did :cry: :cry: Was a nice we job :smiley: :smiley:

DAF for Euro6have also went to a cable change :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: …no room under the cab for the metal linkage

AS-TRONIC wise there is better software ,like anything it improves over time ,wether divers reckon it is any good is another question

Muckaway:
There’s a good chance I’ll be getting a 32-400 8wheeler this year, so I have a few questions…
Is the 16 speed manual gearbox any good and is it the one referred to as “comfort shift”? If so what is the difference between that and a Daf 16 speed? Also has the auto version improved since 2011? I had an 11 plate 35-400 and that was awful but a mate has a 12 plate and he reckons it’s not too bad.
Do MAN interiors still suffer with leprosy?

No,The Auto has not improved

I take it that a MAN 8x4 chassis will be cheaper than Daf? They quoted £108k ffs. I’d be happy with a decent secondhand wagon but the ones I’ve seen look like knackered wrecks.

Muckaway:
Is the 16 speed manual gearbox any good and is it the one referred to as “comfort shift”? If so what is the difference between that and a Daf 16 speed?

The comfort shift has a button on the gearstick which you press instead of pressing the clutch pedal.

Immigrant:
No,The Auto has not improved

I delivered a 12 plate DAF somewhere recently and even without a trailer on I found it to be a bit naff. Not up to scratch of the Merc and Volvo that’s for sure.

Cheers for that Terry T, is it worth the extra expense or not?

Terry T:

Muckaway:
Is the 16 speed manual gearbox any good and is it the one referred to as “comfort shift”? If so what is the difference between that and a Daf 16 speed?

The comfort shift has a button on the gearstick which you press instead of pressing the clutch pedal.

Yep, had this on the ERF 53 plates and MAN 54 plates when I was at Roadways.

Normal clutch for setting off and stopping, easy shift button for gear changes, was quite nice actually.

MAN interiors don’t like rough housing, at all.

Carbon Fibre Synchros Norb ?

Just looking on the MAN website, is the Comfortshift still an option at Euro 6? All I can find are references to the auto and 16 speed zf?

neversweat1:

I’m getting on nowdays neversweat,as all the new Euro 6 info i’m having to learn much like yourself ,leaves no room for old stuff :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Was actually commenting last week how if hey had stopped at Euro3 the workshop would be dead ,as the majority of faults are all emission nowdays :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Do you know what is happening with Border Trucks as I know they are trying to offload one of their dealerships ,but have told Renault they will keep it until they find a buyer ,2 years later and thy still have it

Muckaway:
Just looking on the MAN website, is the Comfortshift still an option at Euro 6? All I can find are references to the auto and 16 speed zf?

Aren’t MAN doing the 12 speed then ?

Muckaway:

The 16 speed zf can come with or without comfort shift its the same box, I’d imagine comfort shift is a standard feature with the option to delete it if requested as I think I’ve only ever seen 2 vehicles without it.

norb:

neversweat1:

I’m getting on nowdays neversweat,as all the new Euro 6 info i’m having to learn much like yourself ,leaves no room for old stuff :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Was actually commenting last week how if hey had stopped at Euro3 the workshop would be dead ,as the majority of faults are all emission nowdays :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Do you know what is happening with Border Trucks as I know they are trying to offload one of their dealerships ,but have told Renault they will keep it until they find a buyer ,2 years later and thy still have it

Probably won’t be long till TOM buy them. Seem to be taking over everything up here these days.

That was the rumour ,but it seems to have come to nothing