Opinion about MAN Auto gearboxes?

I have my opinion about MAN automatic gearboxes and I know many drivers that share the same opinion about them as I do.

But since I have come across person who thinks differently I would like to know what other drivers think about MAN automatic gearboxes?

So what do experienced drivers think about MAN automatic gearboxes?

:slight_smile:

I call the ASTronic the ASThmatic. Utterly hopeless thing. Much improved in a Daf though.

They are ok as far as auto boxes are concerned but saying that I have only driven 2 types of auto box on a truck.Every box will feel slightly different and you have to adapt and get to know what to expect.
Give me a manual any day.

I don’t mind the MAN auto box tbh prefer it to the Scania any time

Quite like the slow reverse on it better control than the odinary

I’ve had two MAN’s with auto boxes and liked both of them, prefer them to the DAF I’ve got now.

I used to hate it, but when I started driving one full time and got used to it, it wasn’t nearly so bad

I quite like the MAN auto box, I’ve seen people complain about lag when pulling away on a hill but I can’t say I’ve ever noticed a big problem with it to be honest.

I find that I use it in manual as much as Auto.

I am driving a mixture at the moment Volvo FM420, DAF CF410 & 460 and MAN TGX 440 & 480. The Volvo i shift is by far the best gearbox of them all and always ready to pull away with no delay. Both the MANs and the DAFs have quite a delay between pressing the pedal and any action although the MAN 480s have a TipMatic box which is a lot better overall but no match for the Volvo. Having said all that both the MANs are great in the cruise and are the most comfortable cab to be in. thats my humble opinion anyway.

Ho ho the arsetronic box of doom.

In my driving ‘career’ for want of a better word i’ve driven probably around 30/40 different lorry transmissions i can think of and probably as many again that i can’t recall without rattling the old memory stick.

The box in question is without doubt the biggest pile its been my misfortune to suffer with lorries from 1969 onwards, and unfortunately for me i have one in my regular MAN, there are not enough curse words in the languages of the entire world to adequately describe my opinion.

It ruins what would otherwise be perfectly decent lorries, and i can’t for the life me wonder why anyone, from the design team to the UK type approval board, would sign it off and why any vehicle operator would allow themselves to be talked into ticking the relevant box for them.

Just my opinion of course, others may think it’s fine.

It’s OKish for light work such as parcels, but NBG for heavy loads, traffic, tight manoeuvers and reliable instant suitable gear selection and reapplication of power at junctions.
It’s better in manual but it doesn’t react quickly or reliably to input like a Scania autobox driven manually, i can’t leave it in auto loaded, i’d end up pulling the last few strands of me grey barnet out in utter frustration.

Worst gearbox of all time. I’ve had one for about 5 years before anybody says I need to get used to it. It’s utterly hopeless. I have been driving a Volvo with ishift for a couple of weeks and that is a masterpiece in comparison. Makes the man look very silly indeed!

Well I am surprised at that opinion Juddian. We carried 55 ton no problem but then as I said I only have experience of 2 auto boxes on a truck the other being a Denis.
From what I can make out the Volvo one seems to be favourite but the MAN was no great problem for me nor any of the other drivers. Is there only one type of auto box made for a MAN?

nomiS36:
Worst gearbox of all time. I’ve had one for about 5 years before anybody says I need to get used to it. It’s utterly hopeless. I have been driving a Volvo with ishift for a couple of weeks and that is a masterpiece in comparison. Makes the man look very silly indeed!

Why is it hopeless? What problems do you have?

The MAN auto is the only auto I’ve managed to stall numerous times.[emoji15] [emoji15] [emoji15] Only happened when moving slowly going up a steep hill when heavy. Never had it happen in any other truck.

Only driven a 58 MAN, nightmare at roundabouts in particular. They take a bit to lull when foot is down after stopping, delays like.

New MANs at Yodel and my old work colleague reckons they’re a nice truck now.

albion1971:
Well I am surprised at that opinion Juddian. We carried 55 ton no problem but then as I said I only have experience of 2 auto boxes on a truck the other being a Denis.
From what I can make out the Volvo one seems to be favourite but the MAN was no great problem for me nor any of the other drivers. Is there only one type of auto box made for a MAN?

I suspect depending on market you could have any gearbox you wanted, but the one being discussed he is the default fleet parcel spec ZF Arsetonic (the gearbox of doom).

Oh please if you have any influence with my boss, any other gearbox from any era from anywhere in the world would be an improvement, even the Benz Powerliner thingy from the 80’s that dumped you in neutral several times a day in the middle of roundabouts and you had to wait an eternity for reverse…it was bliss in comparison to this.

The best way i can describe these rather poor automated manual boxes (and yes Volvo is the dogs bits so it is entirely possible to do this right) is to imagine you have one person operating the throttle and another person in a parallel dimension with a constantly shifting timeline operating the clutch, thats what its like to make proper lorry progress from the thing IMHO.

The latest tipmatic2 is much better than the old ones

They’re absolutely fine as long you send them a written invitation to change gear…

I think they’re all the same, Volvo is way overrated though IMO…

They’re rubbish! Having driven one daily since 2012, I find it’s just terrible & the man that invented it needs a punch in the face!

If I bought a car with a gearbox like that, I’d set it on fire. :imp: