Opinion about MAN Auto gearboxes?

damoq:
The MAN auto is the only auto I’ve managed to stall numerous times.[emoji15] [emoji15] [emoji15] Only happened when moving slowly going up a steep hill when heavy. Never had it happen in any other truck.

Yep, mine stalls if you go to pull away on a roundabout if one of Stirling Moss’s disciples comes screeching round and you have to suddenly stop again just after the standard 4 second wait for power to engage has elapsed and the system is finally gearing up to move off in the fullness of time.

Did stall me 3 pedal Scanny auto once, the thing took its sweet time as they do, on a hill on a sharp bend, to change gear and by the time it re-engaged the enigne couldn’t take it and it stalled out…i’d had the lorry about two weeks then, spat me dummy out big time, from that moment to this day i’ve never driven a Scanny auto in auto…but to be fair the Scanny auto is brilliant for manual shifting especially in MH, it responds instantly and accurately, the same cannot be said for the ZF.

Busteredwards ^^^^ brilliant, couldn’t agree more… :laughing:

Newbie question about a rigid MAN, which I think is a 26.340 on a 2012 plate.

How fast does it go in reverse crawl?
As I’ve never tried it…

I use the standard reverse, and it’s difficult to get a gentle slow start without it jerking and showing my lack of skills! :blush:

Evil8Beezle:

As I’ve never tried it…

I use the standard reverse, and it’s difficult to get a gentle slow start without it jerking and showing my lack of skills! :blush:

3-4mph. My French skirt does 5 in reverse 1, Not tried it in reverse 4 yet. I get a warning on the dash about clutch wear!

Evil8Beezle:

As I’ve never tried it…

Not very fast! I drive a proper lorry :grimacing: and one of my drops I have to reverse up a slope onto the bay, only possible in turtle mode (without looking like an inept newbie!) :grimacing:

Seriously though, try it, but not from too far away!

Evil8Beezle:

As I’ve never tried it…

It takes ages to perfect just the right amount of throttle to get a smooth start on the MAN artics, forrards or backards can’t see why the rigids should be any different.

You should always use turtle mode for manouevering with satans gearbox, you might only empty half the cab cubbies with the slightly less jud’d’d’d’d’ering that results that way.

Pimpdaddy:
I think they’re all the same, Volvo is way overrated though IMO…

That just goes to prove you dont know your arse from your elbow as far as lorrys go silly bollox,its obvious you dont drive for a living so why come out with complete carbage that the rest of us know is tripe :unamused:

Well this isn’t going to win me any popularity contests, but I think a lot of you guys obviously aren’t driving them in a manner in which to get the best out of them. There, I’ve said it :smiley: . Seriously though I’ll concede that the Volvo system is head and shoulders the best out there, but the secret to living with the MAN is careful throttle control.

Nobody likes to be told that they’re not driving properly, and I mean no disrespect when I say that if you are having problems with many auto boxes it stems from improper throttle control. The secret with the MAN is to be very gentle with the loud pedal, if you want it to change up you lift your foot a fraction and bingo, it changes.

I’ve driven many MAN autos over the years and softly, softly is the only way to get the best out of them.

seth 70:
That just goes to prove you dont know your arse from your elbow as far as lorrys go silly bollox,its obvious you dont drive for a living so why come out with complete carbage that the rest of us know is tripe :unamused:

It was just my opinion, I never said I drove for a living either you stupid truck driver…[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

So these boots may not be helping? :open_mouth:

But seriously, I drive in safety shoes, and as I’m in and out the cab,
I’m not sure i can get away with wearing trainers… :cry:

Evil8Beezle:
So these boots may not be helping? :open_mouth:

But seriously, I drive in safety shoes, and as I’m in and out the cab,
I’m not sure i can get away with wearing trainers… :cry:

Them boots are fine dude, and just as soon as I get my Slade tribute band up and running I’ll be knocking on your door. :smiley: :smiley:

Nothing…

Nothing…

WHOA…

Duck…

(Come on drive…loads of room…)

Nothing…

Nothing…

Whoa… Duck…

(Christ… we had some ■■■■ drivers here, but this one is really ■■■■)

I love my TGX because I am away in it all week.
I hate my TGX because I have to drive it all week…

We run 15 plate MANs and 61 plate Axors, both with automated gearboxes.

When I’m in a MAN I leave it in auto to do its thing because I find it to be a competent gearbox compared with the Axor, which tends to hesitate or retain a gear for too long.

I’ve personally got no complaints with a MAN gearbox. The electrics though… well, that’s another thread.

Reversing was fine when I drove an 11 plate tipper, fitted with the DX software. I drove a 12 plate curtainsider and that reverse was hopeless. The 11 plate was meant to be 400bhp but old 340bhp Dafs would outpull it. I know I don’t rag motors compared to most tipper drivers (I don’t think many around here know what the rev counter is for) but I couldn’t keep up with any of the modern marques. The MAN was comfortable, good manoeuvrability (I like the big steering wheel) but why do the interiors self destruct?

Pimpdaddy:

seth 70:

It was just my opinion, I never said I drove for a living either you stupid truck driver…[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Yes i am a stupid lorry driver :exclamation: ,but its not me who doesnt drive one who sits on a truck forum daily commenting ■■■■■ about stuff he hasnt got the foggiest about is it :question: :unamused:

seth 70:
Yes i am a stupid lorry driver :exclamation: ,but its not me who doesnt drive one who sits on a truck forum daily commenting [zb] about stuff he hasnt got the foggiest about is it :question: :unamused:

Doesn’t matter, it’s just transmission at the end of the day, nothing special, now get back to work & deliver our goods silly bollox…[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Interesting results really. It seems as many like the MAN box as do not like it. Maybe it could be down to the driver and the way it is driven. It is certainly like that with manual boxes. I have seen one driver drive a certain make beautifully and another make it seem like it is useless.
Don’t tell me drivers need training to drive autos?

I used to like my TGX auto, box was fine when you got used to it, but the best auto ive used regularly was the one in my old 07` Premium. Renault took the Volvo box and made it better, no lag,no thinking about it, brilliant box.

nomiS36:
Worst gearbox of all time. I’ve had one for about 5 years before anybody says I need to get used to it. It’s utterly hopeless. I have been driving a Volvo with ishift for a couple of weeks and that is a masterpiece in comparison. Makes the man look very silly indeed!

Not driven many Volvo autos but those I have (one of them a brand new FM 410 tractor last year) were a treat; they’ve got a very good reputation. MAN autos are bad except when you’re cruising, which isn’t when a gearbox proves itself, let’s face it. The gear changes are slow and hold you up getting away from junctions, which is particularly inconvenient in a small-ish rigid. The Isuzu auto is worse, though; I nearly always put that in manual when I’m not stopped, as it always changes down instead of up. It’s the only time I ever use an auto in manual mode.

the nodding donkey:
Nothing…

Nothing…

WHOA…

Duck…

(Come on drive…loads of room…)

Nothing…

Nothing…

Whoa… Duck…

(Christ… we had some [zb] drivers here, but this one is really [zb])

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: so true…