Info Required on 4X2 XF Daf SSC 04/05 Plate 530

Clutch actuators can be bought for 700ish quid and the modulator on top can be bought for about 1200 quid now, but if you know what part of the modulator is faulty you can buy it in pieces, its always worth getting the latest software put into them as the earlier software was somewhat ‘clunky’ and slow.

As a truck I always found XFs far better reliability wise than CFs, certainly electrically. Head gaskets are now multi layer steel gaskets, supposed to be a ‘Final Fix’ but so were all the other fixes! Also make sure the latest torquing procedure is used, as this changes more often than the gasket design.

If it doesnt feel like a 530, theres a possibility that the electronic boost solenoid is sticking, only used on 480 and 530s so not widely known about.

Wasn’t there a camshaft issue with some as well? Maybe they have all been sorted now but I know of one guy who bought a low mileage 2-3 yr old one (ex exhibition work) which hadn’t done enough miles to show the problem up during its warranty time limit and think it cost him a cam and head not long after buying it. I’ll ring him in the morning a check up.
Personally, I like the SSC as a living place and to drive.

camshaft recall should’ve been done if it was required, it was a real ballache, sump off check cam, if cam scored change cam.
Nightmare, were all covered under warranty due to it being a recall.

Just spoke to him Daf man.
The recall wasn’t very good. It was more a case of hearing about it and sending them in to be checked than a full ‘names and addresses from DVLA’ job. By the time he bought it and started working it properly they claimed it was out of warranty and supplied the parts only, but get this bit, only if he paid the labour and it was done at a DAF dealership. He ended up paying more than he would had he bought the bits and done it himself or paying his normal fitter to do it as you know yourself, they certainly use a very sharp pencil to write their bills!

Hi everyone,

Many thanks for ail info, I now have a better idea of what to look for and ask, the vehicles are coming from a private company in
Nottingham, No warranty, but I will now ask about Head Gaskets and Camshaft.

Many thanks

JJSL

I’ve had 4 cracked back heads now, always nearside rear and about an inch long. Cf or xf, makes no difference, heads are only 500 though, and gasket and bolt kits are 250, so not to bad. Last xf i brought from walkers needed this and they put a new rear head and both gaskets as part of the deal.
Only other real problem seems to be the air dryer, must regulary change the filter!!! Excellent trucks otherwise.

i was told that the crack on the rear head where you describe is not important as it is only from the bolt hole to the outside, not internal

another alternative to having a new head for that little crack, get it stitched for a lot less than 500

To DAF standards, the crack on the rear head is inconsequential if less than 55mm long and 1mm wide.

The supply the parts but not the labour sounds familiar to be honest, DAF goodwill was in no way good!

with the as tronic make sure the air tank as a drain valve fitted and drained regular because the clutch actuators dont like moister in them

mattaid:
with the as tronic make sure the air tank as a drain valve fitted and drained regular because the clutch actuators dont like moister in them

that would be the little known about air tank between the fuel tank and the midlift axle on a 6x2 :wink:

shuttlespanker:

mattaid:

that would be the little known about air tank between the fuel tank and the midlift axle on a 6x2 :wink:

that be the one :smiley:

We have an '06 430 DAF and it is very smoky(blue smoke). What would be the propblem :question:

blue smoke is usually oil, probably worth taking the turbo intake hose off and seeing if there is any oil in there.

i know alot of the head problems were caused by the antifreeze daf were using (not long life). we use pink long life antifreeze in ours aswell as fully synthetic engine oil & touch wood weve had no problems with either of ours. & the head bolts are directly into the water jacket. we have 2 man tga xxl’s with astronic gearboxes 1 55plate & 1 56plate & had no problems with either boxes.

you fitters who recomend volvo’s & scania’s are bias, we run a 52plate r series topline & have had absolutley no problem with it other than ware & tare stuff. volvos are just as prone to faults as any other truck (im ex volvo tech) lighting & wireing faults can be a nighmare, data link faults are never ending part from that the general running gear & cab trim are spot on. given the choice id still choose an xl fh with a 480 engine.

but pound for pound get on to the right sales man at MAN & i guarantee you will have 2 man’s & nothing else.

N14ERF:
Only other real problem seems to be the air dryer, must regulary change the filter!!!.

agreed

truckers boy:
volvos are just as prone to faults as any other truck (im ex volvo tech) lighting & wireing faults can be a nighmare, data link faults are never ending part from that the general running gear & cab trim are spot on.

Like the headlamp control unit that, following a failure, prevents the truck from starting (WHY??) and doesn’t log as a fault!!

truckers boy:
given the choice id still choose an xl fh with a 480 engine.

Good choice for an all round truck. (I’m a Volvo man myself :sunglasses: )

Ross.

bigr250:

truckers boy:
volvos are just as prone to faults as any other truck (im ex volvo tech) lighting & wireing faults can be a nighmare, data link faults are never ending part from that the general running gear & cab trim are spot on.

Like the headlamp control unit that, following a failure, prevents the truck from starting (WHY??) and doesn’t log as a fault!!

truckers boy:
given the choice id still choose an xl fh with a 480 engine.

Good choice for an all round truck. (I’m a Volvo man myself :sunglasses: )

Ross.

cant go wrong for an all round truck imo fuel economy & driver comfort.

if i remember right sidelight faults are not logged on volvo’s & the headlight harness are prone to get water in because they are ■■■■ & the harness location on a early version 2 just invites water spray in. ive never heard of the lighting fault stopping it from starting that is usualy a nakerd relay

I have run a few dafs xf95’s 530’s the ones I had were prone to, water, oil & air leaks !!!

And not very good mpg

the XF95 530 SSC i am currently running is regular returning over 9mpg (according to the computer), so i can’t really complain about that, running 6x2 at varying weights up to full weight 44,000KGs

Ill be selling a 2004 “54” SSC - 575k 6x2 midlift - had new heads 2008 foc by daf !!

Will be selling this may 1st when new ssc arrives …15k if anyone is interested …