If You Could Vote Again (Brexit)

Juddian:

somtam:
I voted leave but with Teresa May the remainer conceding on virtually everything to Europe this is not the Brexit I voted for.

And thats exactly what they’ve been doing, wearing people down so enough think ‘well we tried but it didn’t work out’.

We do not live in a democracy, we haven’t for a long time.

When did you last participate in it though?

When did you last go on a march? When did you last attend a trade union meeting at work and exert some control? When did you last do some serious reading or research on a political issue? When did you last have a conversation with your kids about democracy or unaccountable power?

And now think how many guys overall do you think have been doing more than you in these respects over 30 or 40 years, and how many doing less?

Rjan:

Juddian:

somtam:
I voted leave but with Teresa May the remainer conceding on virtually everything to Europe this is not the Brexit I voted for.

And thats exactly what they’ve been doing, wearing people down so enough think ‘well we tried but it didn’t work out’.

We do not live in a democracy, we haven’t for a long time.

When did you last participate in it though?

When did you last go on a march? When did you last attend a trade union meeting at work and exert some control? When did you last do some serious reading or research on a political issue? When did you last have a conversation with your kids about democracy or unaccountable power?

And now think how many guys overall do you think have been doing more than you in these respects over 30 or 40 years, and how many doing less?

Protest marches have died a death. It used to be students who were at the forefront of political dissatisfaction marches. Now they’ve been indoctrinated into the left wing ideology, they don’t care about any agenda other than their own (which is what they’re told it is). Other political marches are shown by the media as nothing more than extremists out to cause trouble. The working person on the street is too busy feeding their family and paying their bills to take time off and show their dissatisfaction, along with the risk of arrest.

Aside from the Brexit referendum (I voted leave and still would) I haven’t voted for anyone in an election for about twenty years. I attend of course, but I spoil my ballot on purpose. Spoilt papers used to be counted, and it was the only way I could show my dissatisfaction with the political elite who “run” this country. In my area, IIRC there were as many spoilt papers as there were for the winning crime commissioner candidate.

Personally, I believe voting is important. But if you don’t trust ANY of the candidates, the only option left that can make a difference is to spoil your paper. This however becomes a waste of time too when the press don’t highlight how many people are doing it.

Captain Caveman 76:

Rjan:
[…]

Protest marches have died a death. It used to be students who were at the forefront of political dissatisfaction marches. Now they’ve been indoctrinated into the left wing ideology, they don’t care about any agenda other than their own (which is what they’re told it is). Other political marches are shown by the media as nothing more than extremists out to cause trouble. The working person on the street is too busy feeding their family and paying their bills to take time off and show their dissatisfaction, along with the risk of arrest.

There are a number of things that could be said about students, but in fact it is workers who have been missing from the forefront of political dissatisfaction.

You say students have been indoctrinated “by left-wing ideology” to favour their own agenda only, but when did you last see a parent having a conversation with their child about some things being more important than self-interest? When did you last vote for a party, or evaluate a policy, that you felt wasn’t in your personal interest but was in the collective interest? You say the media misrepresents the situation, but how can it if the majority recognise its bias and don’t believe a word it says or publishes?

If you’re too busy feeding your family or paying bills to look after your own political interests, then you are working too hard and neglecting your civic responsibilities, and of course you’re soon going to feel that you’re being shafted.

This is the truth about democracy - it has not been stolen from ordinary people, it has been abandoned willingly by most of them.

Aside from the Brexit referendum (I voted leave and still would) I haven’t voted for anyone in an election for about twenty years. I attend of course, but I spoil my ballot on purpose. Spoilt papers used to be counted, and it was the only way I could show my dissatisfaction with the political elite who “run” this country. In my area, IIRC there were as many spoilt papers as there were for the winning crime commissioner candidate.

Personally, I believe voting is important. But if you don’t trust ANY of the candidates, the only option left that can make a difference is to spoil your paper. This however becomes a waste of time too when the press don’t highlight how many people are doing it.

Agreed, but if that’s the only thing you can point to, it sounds like the story of “dusting Ceasar’s balls”, where a man is forced to watch whilst his wife is raped by Caesar, and soldiers insist that he hold up Caesar’s balls to prevent them getting dirty on the dusty ground. The man, outraged and resentful, decides to strike back, by secretly and seditiously allowing Caesar’s balls to fall into the mud - to no effect on Caesar, of course.

Captain Caveman 76:

Leave it out.At the last election UKIP lost loads of votes to the Cons because people trusted May to deliver it.While you’re obviously saying that it’s even better to spoil the ballot paper than vote for UKIP.

While Juddian is saying that he doesn’t trust Henry Bolton.No neither did UKIP which is why he’s been thrown out and replaced by Gerard Batten hopefully permanently.So exactly what are Britain First saying that Batten isn’t except that Batten rightly says it without the needless rabble rousing tone which actually rightly puts voters off ?.Also bearing in mind that the word is that he didn’t/doesn’t trust Farage either.But no it’s much better to spoil the ballot paper or vote for the treacherous hag May. :unamused:

Rjan:

Captain Caveman 76:

Rjan:
[…]

There are a number of things that could be said about students, but in fact it is workers who have been missing from the forefront of political dissatisfaction.

Agreed.

You say students have been indoctrinated “by left-wing ideology” to favour their own agenda only, but when did you last see a parent having a conversation with their child about some things being more important than self-interest?
There’s nothing wrong with self interest, people don’t apply for better pay and conditioned jobs so they can pay more tax. They do it to improve their own situation. Self interest and moral duty aren’t mutually exclusive either, but one shouldn’t be at the expense of the other.

When did you last vote for a party, or evaluate a policy, that you felt wasn’t in your personal interest but was in the collective interest? You say the media misrepresents the situation, but how can it if the majority recognise its bias and don’t believe a word it says or publishes?

I don’t understand where my interests diverge from the collective. Surely I’m part of the collective so any policy that benefits me benefits the population. As for the media, I was working for Menzies distributing newspapers when the twin towers went down. I was amazed at the different viewpoints printed by the different papers on one event. It really emphasised how people will buy into any bias which supports their belief.

If you’re too busy feeding your family or paying bills to look after your own political interests, then you are working too hard and neglecting your civic responsibilities, and of course you’re soon going to feel that you’re being shafted.
No, I don’t work so I can pay taxes so hospitals can be funded, police can be paid, kids can be educated etc. I work to provide for myself and family (if I had one). Anyone’s primary duty should be to those whom depend on them. Combine that with the fear of marches being compromised by trouble causers and you have the appearance of apathy. Let’s be honest here, when was the last protest rally that made the news for anything other than trouble?

This is the truth about democracy - it has not been stolen from ordinary people, it has been abandoned willingly by most of them.

I agree it’s been abandoned, but don’t agree it’s willingly. People have simply lost faith in it and it’s ability to represent them.

Agreed, but if that’s the only thing you can point to, it sounds like the story of “dusting Ceasar’s balls”, where a man is forced to watch whilst his wife is raped by Caesar, and soldiers insist that he hold up Caesar’s balls to prevent them getting dirty on the dusty ground. The man, outraged and resentful, decides to strike back, by secretly and seditiously allowing Caesar’s balls to fall into the mud - to no effect on Caesar, of course.
Sometimes a futile protest is all you have, and even though it ultimately makes no difference, it makes you feel better.

I live in the middle of a council estate and have done for nearly 20 years. I’ve seen a lot of changes, gardens which were once neat and tidy are now unkempt and overgrown. Roads which were once empty are filled with flash cars. Families who’ve never worked have designer clothes and latest gadgets. Society’s priorities have changed and the people’s political apathy has been bought by wave after wave of politicians. That apathy is now being filled with a new agenda as the next generation is being indoctrinated in schools.

Carryfast:

Captain Caveman 76:

Leave it out.At the last election UKIP lost loads of votes to the Cons because people trusted May to deliver it.While you’re obviously saying that it’s even better to spoil the ballot paper than vote for UKIP.

While Juddian is saying that he doesn’t trust Henry Bolton.No neither did UKIP which is why he’s been thrown out and replaced by Gerard Batten hopefully permanently.So exactly what are Britain First saying that Batten isn’t except that Batten rightly says it without the needless rabble rousing tone which actually rightly puts voters off ?.Also bearing in mind that the word is that he didn’t/doesn’t trust Farage either.But no it’s much better to spoil the ballot paper or vote for the treacherous hag May. :unamused:

Correct me if I’m wrong here, but wasn’t UKIPs original mandate simply to secure a referendum on Europe? That being the case, once the referendum was held, UKIP has served it’s purpose.

And yes, I’d rather spoil my paper than vote for that treacherous old hag, May.

Captain Caveman 76:

Carryfast:

Correct me if I’m wrong here, but wasn’t UKIPs original mandate simply to secure a referendum on Europe? That being the case, once the referendum was held, UKIP has served it’s purpose.

And yes, I’d rather spoil my paper than vote for that treacherous old hag, May.

If it was just about ‘securing a referendum’ UKIP obviously would have disbanded as a Party by June 2016.While what actually happened was a catastrophic split long the lines of some wanting to trust May of all people v those who wanted to increase UKIP’s involvement as a force in all levels of government from local to national on the basis that there was/is no more reason to trust the Cons to run the country after 2016 than there was in 1975.So in line with that it then made the next understandable mistake of trusting Bolton to deliver that and has now finally got it right by putting Batten into the position of leadership that he should have held from day 1 had the Party not been over shadowed by wavering Farage.

In which case why would anyone rather spoil a ballot paper than vote for Batten’s UKIP which is where we are now ?.

Captain Caveman 76:

Rjan:
You say students have been indoctrinated “by left-wing ideology” to favour their own agenda only, but when did you last see a parent having a conversation with their child about some things being more important than self-interest?
There’s nothing wrong with self interest, people don’t apply for better pay and conditioned jobs so they can pay more tax. They do it to improve their own situation. Self interest and moral duty aren’t mutually exclusive either, but one shouldn’t be at the expense of the other.

As you say, there’s nothing wrong with proportionate self-interest, but is our society giving children the tools to evaluate what is proportionate and what judgments need to be made? Do adults have those tools?

When did you last vote for a party, or evaluate a policy, that you felt wasn’t in your personal interest but was in the collective interest? You say the media misrepresents the situation, but how can it if the majority recognise its bias and don’t believe a word it says or publishes?

I don’t understand where my interests diverge from the collective. Surely I’m part of the collective so any policy that benefits me benefits the population. As for the media, I was working for Menzies distributing newspapers when the twin towers went down. I was amazed at the different viewpoints printed by the different papers on one event. It really emphasised how people will buy into any bias which supports their belief.

I must admit I’m not quite sure whether you’re having a joke - and I would prefer to think that you are - but there are many instances where individuals believe their immediate interests are in conflict with the general interest. The spy bribed to disclose secret information. The employee ordered to lie to customers. The voter who demands tax cuts, but then saddles his kids with twice as much debt for an education, loses access to prompt healthcare, and so on.

No, I don’t work so I can pay taxes so hospitals can be funded, police can be paid, kids can be educated etc. I work to provide for myself and family (if I had one). Anyone’s primary duty should be to those whom depend on them. Combine that with the fear of marches being compromised by trouble causers and you have the appearance of apathy. Let’s be honest here, when was the last protest rally that made the news for anything other than trouble?

But you provide for yourself and your family by, amongst other things, supporting a system of hospitals, police stations, schools, and social security.

There are in fact a great number of people who depend on you to differing degrees, and a great number of people upon whom you are dependent. Characterising yourself as independent, and your family as your only dependents, does not bear any relation to the truth (it is not entirely true even in a primitive society, but it’s certainly not true in a civilised society).

It is an ideological commitment that influences behaviour by training your mind - it forces you to think more about doing as you are told and keep the money coming in, to disregard your civic duties and consideration of the public good, whilst the ruling class carry on engaging in politics to ensure that their interests are furthered and yours are impaired.

I agree it’s been abandoned, but don’t agree it’s willingly. People have simply lost faith in it and it’s ability to represent them.

But by the sounds of it, it has been representing them - politicians have been pandering to “hardworking families” for 30 years.

It’s important that people don’t deny their own stupidity, because they will not reflect on their own folly at the ballot box and learn from it. Politicians went to the populace to ensure that they had consent for austerity - “we need to run the country like the household economy”, they said, and the electorate agreed.

So too, politicians regularly return to the electorate to ensure that they have consent for free markets and a lack of direct democracy in the economy - so businesses don’t have to give a hoot about workers. And again, the electorate consistently endorse the approach, and then cry when the pain hurts them.

The root of the problem in democracies is that people are given too little basic ideological education. I don’t mean too little indoctrination - there is in fact no shortage of that - but too little of the skills that allow them to evaluate and reason about the collective interest in a civilised society.

It is said that students given an education in neoclassical economics become more selfish - because it is the science of competitive self-interest, and it implicitly promotes that as a good thing (the perceived value of such education is to create workers who are better able to further the interests of the owners of the capitalist firms that will later employ them, and of course it keys into the democratic licence that the current generation of workers give to the economic arrangements that involve free markets).

In the past, workers have created the institutions for their own development and the reproduction of the knowledge that serves their interests - the carcasses of many of these are still with us, whether it be the Labour party, trade unions, and so on. Some things, like the right to a free university education, have been voted away. But whether those structures are in place is immaterial if workers do not actively engage with any of them.

There are of course great crises from time to time that hurt the working class until they re-evaluate their basic ideology and another generation re-learns lessons that a previous generation had already learned - creating either a sea-change in democratic opinion or precipitation of revolution.

But the amount of hurt required is often very surprising. I could of course refer to real 20th century history, but what comes to mind first is actually the caricature on the Simpsons cartoon, where it is not until Homer is suffering rickets that the town unites in opposition to Burns’ sun-blocking machine and act to tear it down (a machine that was clearly never devised for their interests, but purely to further Burns’ capitalist interests as an owner of an electricity business).

You complain that workers have lost faith in democracy, but how many actually subscribe to it? Survey your colleagues and ask, how many fundamentally hold that the “right of management to manage” is undemocratic and must be challenged somehow? How many insist on having routine access to all management information about the financial health, operation, or policies of the company? I suspect the answer is none. I’ve been in workplaces where the union bureaucracy still have some vestiges of the latter facility, but their members have completely abandoned any demand for democratic control in the workplace.

I suspect there will be some people reading this who think the very suggestion of workplace democracy is absurd - and thus they vote for policies that keep workers in their rightful place, and the boss in his.

I live in the middle of a council estate and have done for nearly 20 years. I’ve seen a lot of changes, gardens which were once neat and tidy are now unkempt and overgrown. Roads which were once empty are filled with flash cars. Families who’ve never worked have designer clothes and latest gadgets. Society’s priorities have changed and the people’s political apathy has been bought by wave after wave of politicians. That apathy is now being filled with a new agenda as the next generation is being indoctrinated in schools.

But how much do “designer clothes and latest gadgets” really cost? Very little in the scheme of things. And I can’t think of any “families who have never worked” - even those who aren’t employed, tend to be involved in small underground or illegal businesses, and 20 years ago there were still a lot of guys around in their late 50s who had previously worked but never did so again after the unemployment of the 1980s, but their kids still went on to work.

Families who do not need to work exist predominantly amongst the very rich - and the work they make for themselves is not always legitimate. Margaret Thatcher’s son went on to fund an attempted coup in Africa, for example.

The real “indoctrination” in schools is not in the overt curriculum but in the hidden one. Relentless pressures, constant examinations, no say in how things are run or how time is spent on learning, and parents fretting about their kids having to comply and out-do other kids in order for their child get any semblance of a decent job at the end of the process. These are the lessons that create the next generation of pliant workers with no experience of participating in their own governance.

Indeed, it is today’s students who are questioning their parents’ common sense, because many have been right through the mill of the education system with perfectly adequate results, and yet are still facing poor jobs and hardships at the end of it. So-called “gringos”, where graduates fill jobs that don’t require an advanced education (or wouldn’t have a generation ago), is a prime example, and so too those who get a graduate job but still can’t afford basics like a mortgage or to support a family.

Rjan:

Captain Caveman 76:

Rjan:

As you say, there’s nothing wrong with proportionate self-interest, but is our society giving children the tools to evaluate what is proportionate and what judgments need to be made? Do adults have those tools?

I must admit I’m not quite sure whether you’re having a joke - and I would prefer to think that you are - but there are many instances where individuals believe their immediate interests are in conflict with the general interest. The spy bribed to disclose secret information. The employee ordered to lie to customers. The voter who demands tax cuts, but then saddles his kids with twice as much debt for an education, loses access to prompt healthcare, and so on.

But you provide for yourself and your family by, amongst other things, supporting a system of hospitals, police stations, schools, and social security.

There are in fact a great number of people who depend on you to differing degrees, and a great number of people upon whom you are dependent. Characterising yourself as independent, and your family as your only dependents, does not bear any relation to the truth (it is not entirely true even in a primitive society, but it’s certainly not true in a civilised society).

It is an ideological commitment that influences behaviour by training your mind - it forces you to think more about doing as you are told and keep the money coming in, to disregard your civic duties and consideration of the public good, whilst the ruling class carry on engaging in politics to ensure that their interests are furthered and yours are impaired.

But by the sounds of it, it has been representing them - politicians have been pandering to “hardworking families” for 30 years.

It’s important that people don’t deny their own stupidity, because they will not reflect on their own folly at the ballot box and learn from it. Politicians went to the populace to ensure that they had consent for austerity - “we need to run the country like the household economy”, they said, and the electorate agreed.

So too, politicians regularly return to the electorate to ensure that they have consent for free markets and a lack of direct democracy in the economy - so businesses don’t have to give a hoot about workers. And again, the electorate consistently endorse the approach, and then cry when the pain hurts them.

The root of the problem in democracies is that people are given too little basic ideological education. I don’t mean too little indoctrination - there is in fact no shortage of that - but too little of the skills that allow them to evaluate and reason about the collective interest in a civilised society.

It is said that students given an education in neoclassical economics become more selfish - because it is the science of competitive self-interest, and it implicitly promotes that as a good thing (the perceived value of such education is to create workers who are better able to further the interests of the owners of the capitalist firms that will later employ them, and of course it keys into the democratic licence that the current generation of workers give to the economic arrangements that involve free markets).

In the past, workers have created the institutions for their own development and the reproduction of the knowledge that serves their interests - the carcasses of many of these are still with us, whether it be the Labour party, trade unions, and so on. Some things, like the right to a free university education, have been voted away. But whether those structures are in place is immaterial if workers do not actively engage with any of them.

There are of course great crises from time to time that hurt the working class until they re-evaluate their basic ideology and another generation re-learns lessons that a previous generation had already learned - creating either a sea-change in democratic opinion or precipitation of revolution.

But the amount of hurt required is often very surprising. I could of course refer to real 20th century history, but what comes to mind first is actually the caricature on the Simpsons cartoon, where it is not until Homer is suffering rickets that the town unites in opposition to Burns’ sun-blocking machine and act to tear it down (a machine that was clearly never devised for their interests, but purely to further Burns’ capitalist interests as an owner of an electricity business).

You complain that workers have lost faith in democracy, but how many actually subscribe to it? Survey your colleagues and ask, how many fundamentally hold that the “right of management to manage” is undemocratic and must be challenged somehow? How many insist on having routine access to all management information about the financial health, operation, or policies of the company? I suspect the answer is none. I’ve been in workplaces where the union bureaucracy still have some vestiges of the latter facility, but their members have completely abandoned any demand for democratic control in the workplace.

I suspect there will be some people reading this who think the very suggestion of workplace democracy is absurd - and thus they vote for policies that keep workers in their rightful place, and the boss in his.

But how much do “designer clothes and latest gadgets” really cost? Very little in the scheme of things. And I can’t think of any “families who have never worked” - even those who aren’t employed, tend to be involved in small underground or illegal businesses, and 20 years ago there were still a lot of guys around in their late 50s who had previously worked but never did so again after the unemployment of the 1980s, but their kids still went on to work.

Families who do not need to work exist predominantly amongst the very rich - and the work they make for themselves is not always legitimate. Margaret Thatcher’s son went on to fund an attempted coup in Africa, for example.

The real “indoctrination” in schools is not in the overt curriculum but in the hidden one. Relentless pressures, constant examinations, no say in how things are run or how time is spent on learning, and parents fretting about their kids having to comply and out-do other kids in order for their child get any semblance of a decent job at the end of the process. These are the lessons that create the next generation of pliant workers with no experience of participating in their own governance.

Indeed, it is today’s students who are questioning their parents’ common sense, because many have been right through the mill of the education system with perfectly adequate results, and yet are still facing poor jobs and hardships at the end of it. So-called “gringos”, where graduates fill jobs that don’t require an advanced education (or wouldn’t have a generation ago), is a prime example, and so too those who get a graduate job but still can’t afford basics like a mortgage or to support a family.

I get your point, that any member of a population has to have a symbiotic relationship with that population. If they have rights, they have to have responsibilities. I agree completely. But where do those responsibilities end?

Sometimes, for an average person on the street like me, it seems like my responsibilities are being increased beyond what I’m comfortable with. This seems especially so when I repeatedly see people’s parasitic relationship with society. I’m not saying that society has to be fair, but it has to be SEEN to be fair.

Maybe I’m not in possession of all the facts. Maybe my experiences have tainted my point of view. But from my position as a single bloke with no kids down here in the ghetto, past policies have failed and I don’t know how they’re going to get better. Maybe my voting Brexit was the equivalent of lifting Ceaser’s balls, but it was the only way I had of showing my dissatisfaction of the way things are.

Captain Caveman 76:

Rjan:
[…]

I get your point, that any member of a population has to have a symbiotic relationship with that population. If they have rights, they have to have responsibilities. I agree completely. But where do those responsibilities end?

I’d put it the other way, that if you have responsibilities, then you have to have rights. If you have the responsibility for looking after yourself and your family, then you have to have the right to a decent and secure living - whereas the Tories always want to insist that your responsibilities are absolute, but your rights minimal when it comes to your level of pay, conditions, or job security.

In general, a more individualist society is one that places more responsibility on individuals, and gives them fewer means to meet them.

Sometimes, for an average person on the street like me, it seems like my responsibilities are being increased beyond what I’m comfortable with. This seems especially so when I repeatedly see people’s parasitic relationship with society. I’m not saying that society has to be fair, but it has to be SEEN to be fair.

Indeed, your responsibilities will feel like they have increased over time, because the responsibilities on corporations and the state have been dramatically reduced. I agree society has to give everyone a fair deal, but the parasites you have in mind are probably not the ones I have in mind. Indeed, not all of the parasites are personified as individuals, but are parasitic structures.

The market mechanism is an example of a parasitic structure. In passing, I would acknowledge that parasitic markets exist to support the suckers of parasitic individuals who extract profit, but not all of the waste arises as profit, but rather arises as a myriad of bullsh!t jobs and wasted effort.

I always give the example of “switching” in the case of basic household utilities - the time and effort that customers waste in comparing market prices could be done entirely by computer, with switching occurring several times a day between providers if necessary. But instead consumers are yoked into spending unnecessary time and attention on these matters, because they say it will “destroy competition” if consumers are not forced to compare and switch prices manually. More probably it will simply destroy profits, by putting the consumer on an equal technological footing with the suppliers and allowing them to automate their responses to changing market prices, so that the suppliers can no longer shaft consumers who delay or overlook switching.

In the heyday of the electric and gas boards and so on, it was left to those boards to determine the cheapest and most efficient way of delivering utilities. The national electricity grid, the national gas distribution system, the telephone networks, the water reservoirs, the computerised billing systems (including the Giro Bank infrastructure) that eventually supported these, the power stations, the storage systems, they were all built by the state and were incredibly structurally simple and efficient, with the available technology of the day used to maximum effect - and almost everyone involved in them had good secure jobs, and all the consumers had good affordable prices.

By contrast today, suppliers are frequently taking 10% returns as pure profit to return to their owners - these are predominantly the parasites who are the idle shareholders. Then of course there is the management class, the gaggle of CEOs in each sector, taking high wages - and each company having to bid against all the others for these niche skills. But consumers are not simply paying 10% more, representing the final profits of the activity for shareholders. They’re also paying all the extra structural overheads of having several sets of managers, one for each firm involved. They’re paying all the extra advertising budgets, the contract managers that handle the commercial relationships between the dizzying matrix of firms involved, the sales execs who spend all day scheming how to shaft the consumers, the several sets of head offices, the bureaucratic infrastructure that supports switching and decentralised billing, the bungs that suppliers make to comparison websites, the duplicate call centres and the administrative effort, the inability (or unwillingness) of the firms involved to simplify or reorganise for efficiency on a sector-wide scale, the list is endless.

And the end result of all this marketisation has not been falling prices, rising workforce wages, lower cost infrastructure, and reduced government subsidies. In fact, things have become much worse one or more of these measures: consumer prices have gone up, wages have gone down, the cost of infrastructure has gone up, or subsidies are as bad as ever. In fact it is only the dramatic attacks on wages, conditions, job security, and pensions, that has meant prices have not risen even more dramatically for consumers in newly-marketised sectors. The NHS today creaks with market bureaucracy - with new bureaucracy often being introduced at the same time as budget cuts.

The pro-market scounderel usually argues “at least lots of jobs have been created”, but of course they have not. It has simply replaced many good jobs with crap jobs, and those crap jobs are to a greater extent involved in doing things that don’t need to be done thereby eroding overall productivity, and has also created new but unpaid jobs for consumers who, on top of paying higher prices, have to wrestle with all this market complexity and constant upsetting of established prices and basic services.

The point I make is that our economy is infested with parasites. It is infested with parasitic unearned incomes, and it is infested with the market structures that are themselves parasitic upon the economy (not because they involve unjust earnings, but because they waste the effort of so many workers and consumers alike).

Unemployment itself is parasitic, but not because it involves the victims receiving a sliver of social security to keep body and soul together (or in the case of families, to allow children - future workers - to be raised to a very basic cultural and material standard that is appropriate to our society). Unemployment is parasitic because it involves potential useful effort being wasted, and because the excess competition for jobs that arises (particularly if social security is poor) changes the relations between bosses and workers (in favour of the bosses).

Maybe I’m not in possession of all the facts. Maybe my experiences have tainted my point of view. But from my position as a single bloke with no kids down here in the ghetto, past policies have failed and I don’t know how they’re going to get better. Maybe my voting Brexit was the equivalent of lifting Ceaser’s balls, but it was the only way I had of showing my dissatisfaction of the way things are.

Past policies did not fail, though. The post-war policies worked extremely well for our society and others. Other European societies continue to fare extremely well with social-democratic policies. By contrast, those societies that have adopted neoliberalism to the greater extreme have not fared well. Britain has been on the way down since the 1980s. American society has also. The societies that have adopted free markets, that laud individualism and self-interest, that have brutal states that enforce individual responsibilities but convey no effective economic rights, that push markets into every aspect of life, they are not the great societies of tomorrow - they are decadent societies on their way down from their peak. The nation that put men on the moon is today the nation of soup kitchens, supermax prisons, school shootings, and widespread surveillance that would have made Stalin breathless.

It is not that voting Brexit is necessarily the equivalent of “dusting Caesar’s balls”. Brexit so far has been extremely good for creating political engagement. But it is apparent that very few are scrutinising where it is going.

For the right-wing, “taking back control” doesn’t really mean more democracy for workers - it means more compulsion for workers to sell their labour to the lowest bidder. More freedom for right-wing governments to drive down pay, drive down working conditions, drive more markets into the economic arena and drive democracy further out of it - and to vandalise any future possibility of an EU democracy by re-stoking nationalism and the vulgar, self-interested nationalistic competition that impoverished workers in the early 20th century (by deflecting them away from challenging the rich) and led to two bloody big wars (which ironically enriched America most of all and left Europe smashed).

The biggest conspiracy of all in this country is the way our centerist overlords have fooled both Left and Right into blaming each other rather than the center globalists for all the country’s ills.

It’s not a Right or Left thing about “driving down wages” for example, since the Right do it via lax employment laws, whilst the Left do it via unfettered immigration crowding out the labour market.

What have the center done? - Encouraged both - with Left and Right blaming each other rather than the center for “selling weapons to both sides in a conflict”, which, of course - is something the globalists/banksters/liberal elites have a long history of.

We’re all blaming the wrong people for our troubles. Anyone suggesting an actual practical solution - gets shouted down, as being of some kind of opposite extreme.

Think about how daft this sounds: Do those of the Right really think the Labour Party wants to put the entire country out of work, as per the winning 1979 election poster suggested?

…or to take the opposite side, do those of the Left really think that every Conservative is another Thatcher?

2001.jpg

Did UKIP tell the truth, or just give some sane advice that only got followed up by 4m voters?

Farage is Anti Center for sure. Does that make him Hard Left or Hard Right though? The Left clearly like to view him from the front

It’s time we started electing MPs who actually have some visions of their own for both their constituencies (first!) and the wider country very much second. I don’t want to know about what I’m “not” going to get, but about what “You” are going to deliver the public - in your first term of office as a backbench MP… What you are going to do to justify that meaty paycheque for doing a job pretty much any educated (rather than “indoctrinated”) person can do these days?

I’m very pro-democracy. The result in an election I’d like to see? - Turnout of over 90%. Every single MP currently making up the shower that is Worstmonster - turfed out and replaced by shiny newly minted ones!

I’m sick and tired of the worst shysters of all - holding safe seats, and being irremovable, thanks to the public believing the lies and spin of the mainstream media.

Those incoming MPs - should be the unsung party activists who’ve actually already got a long track record of getting stuff done in their local communities. Is that so much to ask of an election candidate for our votes? :question:

Labour still isn't working.jpg

I’m very worried, because I appear to be one of the few who has seen through the lies and deceit of the politicians, the way things are going I’m going to end up in a Gulag somewhere as a political prisoner, unfortunately I will be one of the few as the overwhelming majority of the population think I’m a conspiracy nut job.

Brexit is a lie, pure and simple, this latest Russian problem is subterfuge intended to stop Brexit once and for all, Putin has probably been in on it and will no doubt annexe Ukraine in the near future, nobody except the Ukrainian people are bothered about it anyway.

Trump is having murders with the Chinese and can’t spare any of his World Police to sort out Vlad and his boys in case he has to send some freedom to the Chinese, so the only option is for Britain to get it’s allies elsewhere and we all know who it will be, it all fits nicely.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

newmercman:
I’m very worried, because I appear to be one of the few who has seen through the lies and deceit of the politicians, the way things are going I’m going to end up in a Gulag somewhere as a political prisoner, unfortunately I will be one of the few as the overwhelming majority of the population think I’m a conspiracy nut job.

Brexit is a lie, pure and simple, this latest Russian problem is subterfuge intended to stop Brexit once and for all, Putin has probably been in on it and will no doubt annexe Ukraine in the near future, nobody except the Ukrainian people are bothered about it anyway.

Trump is having murders with the Chinese and can’t spare any of his World Police to sort out Vlad and his boys in case he has to send some freedom to the Chinese, so the only option is for Britain to get it’s allies elsewhere and we all know who it will be, it all fits nicely.

Look on the bright side they are going to get me and Juddian before they get you. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

It’s more of a cluster zb than even you’ve described there.We’ve now got a large part of the country who rightly see May and her corrupt EU cronies as more of a problem and a liability than Putin.While the other half of the remainer hippies don’t know now whether they actually support remaining with the EU or to go for Corbyn’s idea of Brexit after all.Especially when they find themselves conscripted into the EU Federal army on May’s orders to fight the Russians on the Eastern front to ‘liberate’ Ukraine and Crimea from the Russians.While Putin is probably laughing so much he doesn’t know what to do next but he’s working on it.

As for Trump he’s either lost the plot or he didn’t have one to start with.Or it’s not even him and they’ve gone one better than Kennedy by making him disappear and then replaced him with a double. :open_mouth:

Meanwhile China gets richer and stronger by the day.Because whatever that muppet Bolton says the Americans are zb scared of both China and a proper old school mutually assured destruction nuclear exchange with Russia and both him and whoever Trump actually is combined don’t have the bottle or the brains of JFK.Who would have sorted it all in a week by telling the Chinese to zb off no more cash to spend on weapons to use against us,US jobs for US workers and the Russians that we’ll stop playing silly zb’s on their borders and if they all still then want aggro threatening to blow us all to hell and meaning it. :bulb: :wink:

newmercman:

You are certainly not alone fella, seems to me like the the ruling classes have become so complacient in manipulating the populice with their bought and paid for main stream media that they dont even try anymore.
Russia is now the enemy and Europe are our only friends is the new advice from the Ministry of Truth.

(Insert picture of Orwell faceplant)

They’re resorting to some pretty ridiculous strategies to prevent free speech too, it’s almost like WW2 propaganda in the mainstream media now and on social media, if you dare to raise your head above the parapet you “offend” someone and then your card is marked.

I’m currently on a 30day Facebook ban for “offending” somebody, even though I shared the post in question from another Facebook page. After pointing out the stupidity of this, Facebook withdrew my ability to contact them. It may appear on the surface to be much of nothing, but it has a sinister side too, you post something “they” do not like and it gets censored, all done by algorithms apparently and it’s not the posts they’re targeting, it’s the posters, proven by my ban and the lack of action taken against the person whose post I shared.

Following certain pages automatically puts you in the reticle of the algorithms and then you’re doomed, first a couple of 24hr bans, then they’re 3days long, then a week and then it’s 30days. So far this year I’ve been banned for all but a couple of weeks, people tell me to stop messing around, but I am a firm believer in free speech and I will not be told what I can or cannot say.

Free speech will be a thing of the past, people will either keep quiet to avoid being banned so they can continue to keep up with what their friends are eating or they will be shut down and unable to post, or just get ■■■■■■ off with it and disable their accounts. Whichever they choose, they’ve lost their free speech.

Strange but true mate

Faceschmuck is the biggest travesty to free speech there evey was and according to all reports is in hot water right now for being exposed as a state information gathering/sheeple manipulating service.

I voted out on what was deemed to be democracy. It is turning out to be anything but.

And whats worse, just under half of the country is quite happy to live under a totalaterian state willing to forgo their right to privacy by post everything on bloody facebook.

newmercman:
first a couple of 24hr bans, then they’re 3days long, then a week and then it’s 30days. So far this year I’ve been banned for all but a couple of weeks, people tell me to stop messing around, but I am a firm believer in free speech and I will not be told what I can or cannot say.

What on Earth have you been saying? :laughing:

Rjan:

newmercman:
first a couple of 24hr bans, then they’re 3days long, then a week and then it’s 30days. So far this year I’ve been banned for all but a couple of weeks, people tell me to stop messing around, but I am a firm believer in free speech and I will not be told what I can or cannot say.

What on Earth have you been saying? :laughing:

Interesting question, but can it posted in this forum?
I daresay Newmercman could give precis without breaking any rules.

I don’t want to drag this thread off topic, so I won’t go into specifics, but the first ban was for a thumbs up sign that was, upon closer inspection not a thumb, but a bell end. It was where it was posted that was the start of it, one of the ‘free thinking’ pages, it escalated from there really.

The scariest part is that I had to provide them with my phone number to get back in, a means for them to accurately identify who I really am and to compound that, next thing they were asking for government isdued photo ID. I ignored that and all of a sudden I was banned again for a post made before the post that got me banned in the first place.

Now why do they want to know all that? Will I one day get a knock on the door for a post on Facebook? As I said earlier, the implications of this are far more serious than they appear on the surface. As our freedoms are eroded more and more, will the Facebook naughty boys be rounded up and sent to Siberia…

newmercman:
I don’t want to drag this thread off topic, so I won’t go into specifics, but the first ban was for a thumbs up sign that was, upon closer inspection not a thumb, but a bell end. It was where it was posted that was the start of it, one of the ‘free thinking’ pages, it escalated from there really.

The scariest part is that I had to provide them with my phone number to get back in, a means for them to accurately identify who I really am and to compound that, next thing they were asking for government isdued photo ID. I ignored that and all of a sudden I was banned again for a post made before the post that got me banned in the first place.

Now why do they want to know all that? Will I one day get a knock on the door for a post on Facebook? As I said earlier, the implications of this are far more serious than they appear on the surface. As our freedoms are eroded more and more, will the Facebook naughty boys be rounded up and sent to Siberia…

I thought Bully`s was the “Go To” place for off topic ramblings?
:smiley:

FaceBook and their selling of data to lobby/research/political support/campaign groups is such that they could hardly take the moral high ground against a snake.

You could end up in Siberia I s`pose? Or maybe at one time it would have been Guantanamo Bay, or Long Kesh ?