I just can't do it. Respect to you who can

xichrisxi:

jbaz73:
Let me get this straight? … you want a job, where you don’t fill out an application form?

You want a lorry drivers job? That doesn’t involve working outside? That doesn’t involve much driving? And where you don’t have to secure your load?

Sorry dude, normally I can help people, but this one has got me totally stumped!

I wish you all the luck in the world.

They also expected him to drive somewhere I mean ffs what ever happened to workers rights :laughing:

It wasn’t any one of those things that stopped me, more a combination of all of them coupled with the fact I had already done 8 hours in the classroom and I had to set straight off for scotland to get there for 10:30. Another chap was given an 8:30 in scotland, he looked worried but I thought hey, I’ll get there when I flippin well get there, BUT the load strapping was like the tipping point. A tiny tiny thing that made me change my mind about the whole thing. I had already worked a weeks notice and handed in the keys to my bedsit. I was driving a taxi that very night with my old bedsit keys back on my keyring. I look into lorry driving about once every six months and nearly start work but never do. My Taxi gaffer says I will always have a job with him so I should just give it a try for a few months and then go back.

Just need to find work that requires no securing of the load.
I’m the same and will not entertain curtain side or flat work. Securing loads is not for me. These days if it doesn’t go in a tank, bulker or walking floor I’m not interested.

I very recently done 3 weeks full time driving on day work general haulage for a firm that could be best described as a place to earn experience and at worst could be described as a whole manner of other things.

And I bloody loved it. In part anyway I loved the morning generally hated it at as the day went on past 12/1 and the realisation went on I had at least half a shift left. The firm knew what you were doing in advance in some cases a couple of days in advance but wouldn’t ever tell you until you were empty/loaded.

Anyway it gives you a lot of time to think, being on the road. And think about things with head and not heart. I took home no more than £395 quid in any of those three weeks and two of them involved 55+ hours. Well I can earn 1.5 times that, not driving for a 40 hour week. Add to that its unhealthy as ■■■■ and various other well documented problems with the job.

Well back to my real job having scratched the itch. Loved it (mostly) for three weeks and I will continue to drive on my days off for pocket money (legally) but the Road Haulage industry needs to have a look at itself, as is well documented.

Colin_scottish:

commonrail:

TaxiVader:
SCOTLAND FFS FROM HIGHBRIDGE…

Cream

Great run that simple a to b ffs.You would get further in to Scotland than you think.

The blocks go to Uddingston.

Don’t think lorry driving is for him, wasting his time, and the assessors.

When I did my training I was living in an old ambulance, best 18 months of my life so far. I loved living in a vehicle and thought that tramping would suit me, I actually love driving lorries but lorry jobs all seem over complicated and under paid. I know I should just go and do it for a couple of weeks and get it out of my system but I keep backing out at the last minute. Maybe I should just buy one for a hobby. I would enjoy it more than a motorbike or sports car and I’ve seen them for reasonable prices on ebay. Also private hgv road tax is only £165.

I know bosses aren’t the most favourite amongst drivers :wink: , but sometimes we do deserve sympathy :unamused:

xichrisxi:
For most the job consists of holding a steering wheel straight and sitting on your back side for 80-90% of the day…it’s really not a difficult job :laughing:

I find it difficult using spansets while holding an umbrella [emoji14]

sammym:
I don’t mind getting wet and dirty - in fact I quite enjoy it.

Had to vheck who had wrote this, thought it was Dipper Dave.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

blue estate:

Colin_scottish:

commonrail:

TaxiVader:
SCOTLAND FFS FROM HIGHBRIDGE…

Cream

Great run that simple a to b ffs.You would get further in to Scotland than you think.

Given a choice o a run to Scotland from Southampton or 3 day runs in to London and back to Southampton every day , I know what I would be doing [emoji6]
A34 M40 M6 A74m M 74 and back [emoji16]

+1

harrawaffa:
I’m the same and will not entertain curtain side or flat work. Securing loads is not for me. These days if it doesn’t go in a tank, bulker or walking floor I’m not interested.

Is this comment for real? I have got no words to say, ■■■■ just think of it as an exeecise for 20 minutes, the rest of the hours you will just be a wheel attendant, pure laziness.

albion:
I know bosses aren’t the most favourite amongst drivers :wink: , but sometimes we do deserve sympathy :unamused:

You get to choose who drives your trucks.
I get to choose my boss.
I don’t get to choose who stands next to me at an office window if I’m waiting for a load.
Edit. So who deserves the most sympathy?[emoji6] I’ll let you cry on shoulder only if I can sob on yours!

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Franglais:

albion:

You get to choose who drives your trucks.
I get to choose my boss.
I don’t get to choose who stands next to me at an office window if I’m waiting for a load.
Edit. So who deserves the most sympathy?[emoji6] I’ll let you cry on shoulder only if I can sob on yours!

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Yeah, but you and I are a bit special, so normal rules don’t apply :laughing:

It’s the very idea of one of mine saying, …but it’s raining outside… :confused:

albion:

Absolutely not. We choose at a very early age whether to be employee or employer, whether to chase the money and get to the top or just to spend the money and enjoy the here and now. Whether to chase that management position or to have a peaceful, non committal life. I chose to be who I am and with it comes power and control over my own destiny. I can walk away from anything at any time. I can do anything I like within the confines of english law. If you are controlled by your position in life just remember that it is your choice. You are in a prison of your own making.

crazyplay:

harrawaffa:

Is this comment for real? I have got no words to say, ■■■■ just think of it as an exeecise for 20 minutes, the rest of the hours you will just be a wheel attendant, pure laziness.

You dislike my preferred kind of work? Sweeping trailers out and dragging hoses is plenty for me thanks.

TaxiVader:

albion:

Absolutely not. We choose at a very early age whether to be employee or employer, whether to chase the money and get to the top or just to spend the money and enjoy the here and now. Whether to chase that management position or to have a peaceful, non committal life. I chose to be who I am and with it comes power and control over my own destiny. I can walk away from anything at any time. I can do anything I like within the confines of english law. If you are controlled by your position in life just remember that it is your choice. You are in a prison of your own making.

But I can walk away at any time. I’ve been able to for a long time now, so I am where I choose to be.

I also choose to follow through and not be a time waster, I’m aware of how I impact on others.

albion:

Not many would come up to your standards :wink:

To the OP
Try local waste work,Walking floor or extractors at landfill or wood etc .minimum paperwork
General is a ■■■■■■ number …

albion:
I’m aware of how I impact on others.

A thousand words!

picturesof.net/_images_300/C … 761042.jpg

Beetlejuice:
To the OP
Try local waste work,Walking floor or extractors at landfill or wood etc .minimum paperwork
General is a [zb] number …

No good, think of all those weighbridge tickets etc.

You know me too well Franglais!

mrginge:

Beetlejuice:
To the OP
General is a [zb] number …

No good, think of all those weighbridge tickets etc.

Which you have to get out of the cab for. Even if it’s raining. :unamused: