How often do you eat out or at a cafe during the week?

robroy:

Dave55:
Other days my CURRENT WIFE makes me sandwiches.

Do you call her that to keep her on her toes? :laughing:

She know’s her place! :wink:

Santa:
When I first started long distance driving…
… I was an 11 stone 6 footer.

And now :question:

20 years ago I ate out…now I cook.

hkloss1:
How do you guys keep your food fresh throughout the week.
I would want to prepare my food on weekend and be able to keep it chilled over the five days I’m away, but how do you do this, most lorries are not equipped with coolers, chillers, fridges.
I don’t need a freezer, just a simple cooler that would keep my food, bread, meat, veggies, fruits, fresh from Monday to Friday.
A cooler with ice bricks in it would be good idea, but ice bricks melt within a day, especially summer time, so what do you do then?

If I went tramping i’d buy myself a fridge, it’d pay for itself in no time. Saw a lad at Lymm the other day buy one from CB Shack and it just sat on his passenger seat with a seat belt round it & plugged in.

hkloss1:
How do you guys keep your food fresh throughout the week.
I would want to prepare my food on weekend and be able to keep it chilled over the five days I’m away, but how do you do this, most lorries are not equipped with coolers, chillers, fridges.
I don’t need a freezer, just a simple cooler that would keep my food, bread, meat, veggies, fruits, fresh from Monday to Friday.
A cooler with ice bricks in it would be good idea, but ice bricks melt within a day, especially summer time, so what do you do then?

You can get electric cool boxes that plug into the ciggy lighter that keeps milk cheese ect nice and fresh. i use mine if im driving a coach without a fridge for keeping my water juice i have for sale and it keeps it just as chilled as a fridge

switchlogic:
I dont. Once in a blue moon I’ll have a KFC and mow and again will have a bacon and egg sandwich from a snack van. I dont even eat the free food on the ferries most of the time, I cook my tea before I get on. Especially P&O Dublin - Liverpool, the food on those boats is horrendous.

The food on P&O isn’t bad but irish ferries is the best on food anyway

yes, I know electric 12/24v cool boxes do exist, and after reading some reviews over the weekend they do not seem do be very reliable.
people complain these electric cool boxes do not really chill that well, not strong enough power supply, break down often and are noisy, preventing people from sleeping.
Has anyone any first had experience of using them and which ones in particular, over extended period of time?

irish lorries:

switchlogic:
I dont. Once in a blue moon I’ll have a KFC and mow and again will have a bacon and egg sandwich from a snack van. I dont even eat the free food on the ferries most of the time, I cook my tea before I get on. Especially P&O Dublin - Liverpool, the food on those boats is horrendous.

I beg to differ, the food on P&O is horrible, only surpassed in its nastiness by the Stena Nordica. And lets not even get started with the P&O ‘continental’ breakfast, flat croissants and cold toast that has the texture of rubber.

hkloss1:
yes, I know electric 12/24v cool boxes do exist, and after reading some reviews over the weekend they do not seem do be very reliable.
people complain these electric cool boxes do not really chill that well, not strong enough power supply, break down often and are noisy, preventing people from sleeping.
Has anyone any first had experience of using them and which ones in particular, over extended period of time?

Waeco. You get what you pay for. People pay peanuts for a cheap coolbox to run 24 hours a day and then complain when it doesn’t work as well as the expensive household fridge at home!

switchlogic:

irish lorries:

switchlogic:

I beg to differ, the food on P&O is horrible, only surpassed in its nastiness by the Stena Nordica. And lets not even get started with the P&O ‘continental’ breakfast, flat croissants and cold toast that has the texture of rubber.

Your right on the breakfast last time I had one of them I was sick for a week

Every day, thats why I dont have my break on a bay, I need to stop for food.

If I am deducted a break, why should I take it while in a ■■■■■■ rdc with a coffee machine?

switchlogic:

irish lorries:

switchlogic:

Have never sailed on the p&o Dublin to Liverpool boat but have found the seatruck boats on the heysham to warrenpoint route have the best food on any of the boats I have been on going to/from Ireland,the cobelfret boats from killingholme to Rotterdam serve very good food also but find the food on the cobelfret boats from killingholme to zeebrugge not so good.

Stopped at two good ones today; The Little Moss on the Colne-Keighley road and the Sedbury near Scotch Corner.

switchlogic:

hkloss1:

Waeco. You get what you pay for. People pay peanuts for a cheap coolbox to run 24 hours a day and then complain when it doesn’t work as well as the expensive household fridge at home!

Hi Luke

How do you keep your food fresh.
I’ve looked into a few of your videos on YT and didn’t notice any cooler in your cab, maybe I’ve checked the wrong ones.
Are there any long warranties given when buying those electric coolers?
I guess this one would be a good bet:
amazon.co.uk/Waeco-Mobicool- … B000SO0JKY

Do you shop everyday/evening, or if not how do you then keep your food chilled/fresh.
The other question would be about your cooking.
Don’t you have cooking oil splattered all over your cab after frying fish or meat?
Oh, and while I’m talking about cooking, I’ve noticed in one of your vids, you cleaning your your pans with some spray and paper towel only. Is that good enough.
I’m not criticizing your way of doing things, but I would prefer to wash it all in some water with some washing detergent and then rinse with water to wash that detergent away, before I use all that cooking stuff again.
Cooking is not a bad idea, but in order to do that, you need to have 1. plenty of spare time, and tramper do not always have a lot of spare time, 2. you need to have all your ingredients with you in your cooler, so you don’t waste your time, going out, looking for a shop, shopping and then coming back to your cab to prepare a meal.

Cheers

hkloss1:

switchlogic:

hkloss1:

Hi Luke

How do you keep your food fresh.
I’ve looked into a few of your videos on YT and didn’t notice any cooler in your cab, maybe I’ve checked the wrong ones.
Are there any long warranties given when buying those electric coolers?
I guess this one would be a good bet:
amazon.co.uk/Waeco-Mobicool- … B000SO0JKY

Do you shop everyday/evening, or if not how do you then keep your food chilled/fresh.
The other question would be about your cooking.
Don’t you have cooking oil splattered all over your cab after frying fish or meat?
Oh, and while I’m talking about cooking, I’ve noticed in one of your vids, you cleaning your your pans with some spray and paper towel only. Is that good enough.
I’m not criticizing your way of doing things, but I would prefer to wash it all in some water with some washing detergent and then rinse with water to wash that detergent away, before I use all that cooking stuff again.
Cooking is not a bad idea, but in order to do that, you need to have 1. plenty of spare time, and tramper do not always have a lot of spare time, 2. you need to have all your ingredients with you in your cooler, so you don’t waste your time, going out, looking for a shop, shopping and then coming back to your cab to prepare a meal.

Cheers

I take it youve never been tenting away for a weekend?
Trim your shop down to neccessities and your own ease.
The sun is out, deckchair at the side of the road and a throwaway BBQ, happy days :wink:

hkloss1:

I’ll leave it to Switchlogic to answer the other questions, but I will just say that I’m a qualified chef and worked as a chef in a very high quality restaurant (Beauchamps) in Knightsbridge until my mid 20’s, you do not ever wash a frying pan with water and detergent, not ever.

Generally they are wiped with paper, if they need to be cleaned then this is done by putting a half-inch thick layer of kitchen salt into them and then blasting them on high heat for twenty minutes or so, but water and a frying pan is the biggest taboo ever in the catering trade. :stuck_out_tongue:

I have a ceramic frying pan which reqires no oil when cooking may be worth a try for in cab cooking.

@Switchlogic

I hope you didn’t get offended by my comments and questions directed at you, Luke?
I was just wandering how you how you keep your food fresh over a few days, and what do you do with all this grease that goes around your cooking area in your cab while you fry your food.
I love fried meat , but would probably try to avoid doing it when in a cab as I wouldn’t know how to keep the cab clean, seems a lot of hard work to me.

I work for a company that considers drivers when buying trucks so all our trucks that were bought new have fridge. As for grease, there isn’t any. A good non stick pan and don’t use oil, its more like grilling. Its only hard work keeping the cab clean if you don’t like keeping it clean.

That’s a top company you are working for then.
I always use a none stick frying pan , but without using a bit of cooking oil, the meat would not taste right to me.
Would probably prefer to cook all meat at home for the whole week, keep it in the fridge and then only reheat it when needed.
That’s what I usually do anyway, even I’m not tramping currently, but at home I have a luxury of being able to use a microwave, which obviously wouldn’t be possible while tramping.
I would have to either use a frying pan and reheat everything on a very low heat under a lid cover or eat it cold.